Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Oxygen Cylinder Refill

Options
  • 17-08-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I've ordered a new aluminium D-cylinder from America. Can anyone tell me if the likes of BOC gases will refill this for me or does it have to be one of their own cylinders? I know I probably should have checked this before ordering it. Any answers welcome, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I've ordered a new aluminium D-cylinder from America. Can anyone tell me if the likes of BOC gases will refill this for me or does it have to be one of their own cylinders? I know I probably should have checked this before ordering it. Any answers welcome, cheers.

Some will.....some wont!!

I've pm'd you.....other ways:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

If they don't (and I think they do, but I can''t think offhand of which one the D cylinder is.... :P ), try some of the other gas suppliers which you will be able to find on google....

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

How friendly are you with your local HSE!? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

They wont if its an american cylinder.

They are different colours. If you have a real use for the cylinder would you not just do it the easy way.

maglite wrote: »
    They wont if its an american cylinder.

They are different colours. If you have a real use for the cylinder would you not just do it the easy way.

Thats expensive enough.......rental and all that.

• Advertisement

I'm fully willing to be corrected on this, and i'm sure they are a bit off but.

I have a feeling a D is only 50 for the year a CD 118, and if you pop down to get them filled its 7 and 18 respectively.
    I could be off on these, as i've never had to foot the bill but if they are right its not really that bad.

I also feel the need to ask why you would need such. If your working be it Full time or vol, surely these are supplied, if you supply your own do you assume liability? If its for a just in case, would you be covered to admin this while not covered by an organisation or Doctor. It is seen as a medication. I think it would put you into iffy territory. Unless its a Hangover cure, in which case ITS WAY TOO SMALL, HX ftw

I'm fulling willing to be corrected on this, and i'm sure they are a bit off but.

I have a feeling a D is only 50 for the year a CD 118, and if you pop down to get them filled its 7 and 18 respectivly.
    I could be off on these, as i've never had to foot the bill but if they are right its not really that bad.

I also feel the need to ask why you would need such. If your working be it Full time or vol, surely these are supplied, if you supply your own do you assume liability? If its for a just in case, would you be covered to admin this while not covered by an organisation or Doctor. It is seen as a medication. I think it would put you into iffy territory. Unless its a Hangover cure, in which case ITS WAY TOO SMALL, HX ftw

The D was a one off fee for the cylinder and then rental of 11.75 a month. The refills sound about right. Not 100% on the fees as I dont rent mine.

I have two CD cylinders. On in car and one at home to swap out (normally use a Cd a week)

Although oxygen is a medication if you are certifed as an EFr or above and follow your CPGs you have no problem with adminstering O2. There is no liability once you follow your CPGs. Your thinking too much with a voluntary organisations own regs and training. You do NOT have to be covered by an organisation or Doctor to adminster O2....again once your approved by PHECC as an EFR or above. There is no iffy territory for a trained EFR or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

I'm fully willing to be corrected on this, and i'm sure they are a bit off but.

I have a feeling a D is only 50 for the year a CD 118, and if you pop down to get them filled its 7 and 18 respectively.

My practitioners licence allows me to administer O2

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Forgive the nosiness but what is the purpose of all this oxygen usage.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

breathing.......

From what i've read from NGA, he would have a use for it. As for the OP regardless of I can, the why remains unclear.

• Advertisement

breathing.......

From what i've read from NGA, he would have a use for it. As for the OP regardless of I can, the why remains unclear.

Should have seen that first bit coming.

wexfjord wrote: »
    Forgive the nosiness but what is the purpose of all this oxygen usage.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Absent/inadequate ventilation following an acute medical or traumatic event is whats in the CPGs.

Thats anywhere that inadequate profusion is possible. Cardaic chest pain, loss of blood etc etc

(and you should have seen that response comming from maglite:D)

Surely it should be Absent/inadequate oxygenation following an acute medical or traumatic event,,,

One could be ventilating adequately but have poor oxygenation?, And I don't think this is the question Wex if asking...

Unfortunately i feel a need to know exactly what every other person on this planet is doing and why they are doing it. maybe i should have been a guard. For that reason i dont think i can sleep till i know what nefarious activities NGA partakes of and indeed what Civildefence intends to do.

I have visions of some sort of club or masonic type order which mandates the carrying of oxygen and a blackberry or similar device at all times. Is there a secret handshake? If you say no, i'll know that there is, because its a secret and you cant tell me. Forgive me if i've gone off topic, I have nothing constructive to offer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

I have visions of some sort of club or masonic type order which mandates the carrying of oxygen and a blackberry or similar device at all times. Is there a secret handshake? If you say no, i'll know that there is, because its a secret and you cant tell me. Forgive me if i've gone off topic, I have nothing constructive to offer here.

The first rule of the society is.. Never talk about the society.

DubMedic wrote: »
    The first rule of the society is.. Never talk about the society.

I'd ask if theres a second rule but i'm sure you'd have to deny all knowledge.

Surely it should be Absent/inadequate oxygenation following an acute medical or traumatic event,,,

One could be ventilating adequately but have poor oxygenation?, And I don't think this is the question Wex if asking...

Maybe you should give PHECC a ring and express that point....... but i dont think PHECC have it wrong;)

All practitioners have the right to questions CPGs, this questions will then be discussed at next Medical Advisory Group meeting and the Control working group

I have visions of some sort of club or masonic type order which mandates the carrying of oxygen and a blackberry or similar device at all times.

CFR's????
    I would photoshop a CFR logo onto the batmobile but TBH i'm not that interested you got the idea.

I might just send a mail NGA, i'd be interested in the rational. Might do a bit of reading first thou, make sure i'm not way off base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

BUT why buy an american one???
    whats up with the irish ones

• Advertisement

AHHHHHH Jesus is this the Spanish Inquisition forum?! Yer all crazy i tell ya!

OK i've effectively cancelled the order on the cylinder for fear I may have problems with it being from America, those of you who mentioned this are probably right so fair play. So let me see if I have this right....
    1. You cannot buy a cylinder from BOC, only rent one?
    2. BOC will only refill there own cylinders?
    3. A refill costs up to €30 and this is not included in the rental fee?
    4. I'm not asking the Civil Defence for one because of the red tape and dirty looks that it will attract.
    If say I do get my hands on a cylinder, can I just walk in to BOC in Bluebell and say "hey you, fill 'er up!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Are you wanting to carry this around with you in your car/at home or is it for when your on cd duty

Are you wanting to carry this around with you in your car/at home or is it for when your on cd duty

I'd be carrying it in the back of the van, happy enough to put stickers in the window and that. I'm compelled to get it as I came across a nasty RTA recently and the driver had a haemo-pneumo, took a while for the ambo to arrive and the lad needed O2 pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

+1
    Great idea

Just been on to BOC. You first off need to open an account, you then need a prescription and then you need to pay rental and refill charges.

The only part I don't get here is the prescription. How, why, who and where?

Out of interest what are the current charges?

Just been on to BOC. You first off need to open an account, you then need a prescription and then you need to pay rental and refill charges.

The only part I don't get here is the prescription. How, why, who and where?

Local doctor should give you one no problem.......but you shouldnt have to have one once your a PHECC responder (EFR) or PHECC practitioner. Your card should cover you. It does in Limerick and Cork anyway.

Also if your properly trained (and if im right your EFR and have EMT booked with a certain Galway company??) then I believe your skills are wasted if you do not carry a properly kitted bag with you, which includes any and all interventions (IE O2)

Following is the law behind it all.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0512.html

I agree completely NGA. I don't think people believe that until they come across a time where they need it.

I didn't get any prices unfortunately as the guy I was talking to wasn't too keen on the conversation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Did a quick search but the results are a bit old. Where can one do private EMT training? Is it worthwhile doing a course with John's abulance or Order of Malta? Thankfully Ive never come across a serious accident but I do nearly 40,000 miles a year and would like to know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs

you will need and adaptor and you will be able to decanter from an F size cylinder this was common parctice before but now is not done for health and safety reasons. You would probably be better to get on to BOC and get a CD cylinder from them
    Private EMT courses are run by *snip* OR *snip*

Advertisement