Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare woes

Options
  • 17-08-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Just a bit of info on whats been happening with my welfare payments:

Having been made redundant,I was receiving JSB for the past few months from Swords. I recently moved to Whitehall and had to transfer my claim to their main office(Kings Inn st). Now, while I was still in swords, my 1st signing date was set to the 23rd of September. Last week, I found out that my payments had been suddenly suspended; Upon inquiry at the welfare office, I was told that I had missed my 1st signing date, which according to their system,was on the 5th of August. I was asked to report next Friday (21st) to sign on. I went again today with the letter from the Swords office, and showed them the September sign on date mentioned on it. After a bit of 'checking', I was informed that since I had transferred my claim to the new office, I would have been notified of a new sign on date and since I missed it, would have to apply for a repeat claim! I assured them that I had received no such notification, either via mail or call, and that it probably was some error on their part that had caused this mixup. Unfortunately, they refused to accept responsibility, and asked me apply again, assuring me that it would be dealt with quickly. They said the letter from the Swords office could be 'scrapped' as it wasnt of any use.

I am off again on Friday to apply for a repeat claim. Hopefully, reasoning with them this time will be productive.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That dept is a joke - there's no consistency between the offices, it's mainly oul wans running the place, they did f-all to get ready for the recession, and most civil servants would rather work in McDonalds than a dole office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Nolanger, please read the charter. Infraction given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bludhemn

Went in yesterday, and applied for a repeat claim. Attached the letter from the Swords office and a request to process the claim asap, as the error was not mine. They reckon it will take a minimum of 5 weeks! Boy, I sure am honoured!!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Why couldn't you apply on the day you were there about your non-payment? How come it took you so long to find out you weren't getting payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

I have a similar grip. I post in my slips every 2 months as I'm out in the sticks and 15 miles from the office. I posted my slips as normal but the next week I was cut off. When I went to investigate they told me they did not get my slip and I had to go through a new claim again. There was no way I could reason with them so now I just drop them in personally and that annoys them as well but what can I do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bludhemn

tomred1 wrote: »
    Why couldn't you apply on the day you were there about your non-payment? How come it took you so long to find out you weren't getting payment?

I could'nt apply on that date, because I was asked to come in for an appointment the following week. The would'nt accept the application straight away.

Received a letter today saying that they needed my GNIB reg card, in order to process the application. When I went in last week, I had everything with me and they dint ask for anything then. I really don't get it. How hard is it to collect all required documentation when an applicant comes in for a claim!! ETA is 5 weeks!!

Advertisement