Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modules Within DN008 (Science Omnibus)

Options
  • 17-08-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭

Hi, just accepted Science Omnibus, I'm looking through the modules that are available (I got a brochure at the open day or something).

I have a few questions regarding the contents of certain modules.

Firstly, MATH 00010, I got an A2 in Ordinary Maths in the Leaving, this means I dont have to take this module, but how far beyond ordinary maths does it go? I have no experience with Integration/Matrices/etc, what's the story with that?

I'll have more questions, but I shall pace myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I'll be watching to see what sort of answers you get.

My daughter's doing the same course.

If you bump into her - be nice.

She's got a crazy mother!

(oh, and I hope you enjoy UCD - glancing at your blog, I see you were thinking of going to The Other Place. Hope Belfield turns out great for you).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

(oh, and I hope you enjoy UCD - glancing at your blog, I see you were thinking of going to The Other Place. Hope Belfield turns out great for you).

HAH! I shant lie, I would prefer it, and I was so bloody close........

Good to hear someone actually reads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Hey Fad and welcome to the dream!

In relation to MATH in first year, it is basic enough stuff. Now I am talking from a HL view (D2) but I just went to all the lectures and looked at the past papers and came out with A's and A+'s.

What's more, UCD has a Maths Support Survice which is a drop in centre for those who are having bother with the course. Also, there will be your mentor who more than likely have done the same MATH subjects too, so they will lend you a hand. And as if that was not enough, there is always the first person you shoudl talk to when having bother with course, the prof who teaches it!

@Fad and gerbilgranny: Feel free to drop me a PM if you want info on anything, I am a third year DN004 reading for genetics so I should be of help!

I was more wondering, would there be any point in taking it*? Would it actually cover much that I missed from not ever doing HL?

Taking: Intro to Differential Calculus or Matrices and Vectors instead.

Fad wrote: »
    I was more wondering, would there be any point in taking it*? Would it actually cover much that I missed from not ever doing HL?

Taking: Intro to Differential Calculus or Matrices and Vectors instead.

It is likely that if you have to do one for a subject stream, you'll have to do the other

Well, you see you select "subject streams" rather than single subjects so for example, you take genetics, chemistry and geology, this means you HAVE TO TAKE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING;

BIOL10020, BIOL10050, BIOL10060, CHEM10050, CHEM10060, MATH10070, MATH10090(Or substitutions) GEOL10010, GEOL10020 (To the best of my knowledge)

Check out the Science hank book which can be found at the following http://www.ucd.ie/science/current_students/downloads/2009-2010/UCD_Science_Student_Handbook_2009_2010.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Depends what you plan on keeping on after first year, but there would be no harm really with taking the third maths unit (MATH10080) and covering integration and statistics.

That's odd, the thing I'm reading splits all the modules into the two semesters, states which ones you need for x,y,or z program in 2nd year. From reading it, I was under the impression that you pick 5 modules from this (And then one Horizons one) per semester.

Fad wrote: »
    That's odd, the thing I'm reading splits all the modules into the two semesters, states which ones you need for x,y,or z program in 2nd year. From reading it, I was under the impression that you pick 5 modules from this (And then one Horizons one) per semester.

Hmm, odd indeed. Have a look at page 17 in the pdf I linked above. There you'll find a table of modules required for entry to subject areas in Stage 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jaybl

You also cant take the Intro to maths one because you got an a2 in ordinary maths. Also if you got an a2 in ordinary maths you should find Intro to calculus, matrices and vectors and calculus and statistics easy enough as long as you put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Jaybl wrote: »
    You also cant take the Intro to maths one because you got an a2 in ordinary maths. Also if you got an a2 in ordinary maths you should find Intro to calculus, matrices and vectors and calculus and statistics easy enough as long as you put the effort in.

Pretty much what I was going to say. You can't do MATH00010 if you received a better result than is required for you to do it.

If its anything to go by, I only got a D3 in honours maths in my Leaving and had to do MATH00010 last year. It was very basic for me.

Also, the other math modules are Intro to Calculus, Matrices and Vectors and Calculus&Statisitics. The first two are very straight forward, not too difficult and if you do a bit of work you'll be fine. Calulus&statistics is a little bit tougher but not too much. The stats part is very simple though.

I went from a D in the leaving to getting A's in a couple of those moduules and the workload wasn't too much. Just keep a steady rate of work up over the semester and you'll be grand. :)

• Advertisement

Just keep a steady rate of work up over the semester and you'll be grand. :)
    This is the most important thing. The easiest way to fail maths is to slack off. Do the work and go to your tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

:confused:Is it possible to switch from your denominated to route (if you were offered it) to the omibus science course DN008, as long as you have the points and requirments? :confused:

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    :confused:Is it possible to switch from your denominated to route (if you were offered it) to the omibus science course DN008, as long as you have the points and requirments? :confused:

Not sure, but I can't see why not if you do the required subjects. Phone the programme office or drop into them when you come into UCD for those tours and all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 grisham

Yes it is as far as I know! You can switch into any other subject in science in second year provided you've done the modules you need to have done in first year. Lots of people switch from denominated routes to another there shouldn't be a problem!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Anyone know what date the science course is starting on?

Lectures starting 7 September, orientation the week before that.

Lectures starting 7 September, orientation the week before that.

So its basically starting at the 1st of september?

Edit: phrased wrong!

Not necessarily the 1st, because the orientations for different courses are on at different times - but you should be ready to attend on any day from 31 August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

grisham wrote: »
    Yes it is as far as I know! You can switch into any other subject in science in second year provided you've done the modules you need to have done in first year. Lots of people switch from denominated routes to another there shouldn't be a problem!:)

Cool thanks, I was thinking of doing pure physics instead of physics with astonomy and space science but if a year away I have no need to worry now, :D:D:D

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Cool thanks, I was thinking of doing pure physics instead of physics with astonomy and space science but if a year away I have no need to worry now, :D:D:D

I'd check with the school just to be sure. You don't want to end up not being able to change becasue you didn't pick a suject afterall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Any questions I recommend you ask in the Science Deptarment office. Especially about transferring into the mainstream science omnibus. They are very helpful :) Ring them or pop in if you are local; I find it's always easier to ask questions in person.

I did the DN008 course, but before modularisation, so can't help with the modules.

Im gonna choose the subject stream for physiology and neuroscience anyway, its basically the same. And then im gonna pick modules in physiotherapy if i can.

Copied from other thread, I'm taking:

CHEM10040: The Molecular World
    CHEM10050: Org Chem & Chem Biol
    CHEM10060: Phys & Inorg Chem
    COMP10010: Introduction to Programming I
    COMP10020: Introduction to Programming II
    COMP10040: Intro to Comp Architecture
    MATH10070: Introduction to Calculus
    MATH10080: Calculus & Statistics
    MATH10090: Matrices & Vectors
    PHYC10060: Fields, Waves & Light
    PHYC10070: Foundations of Physics
    PHYC10080: Frontiers of Physics

Any of those need particular attention? (Having a high workload or whatever)

I only have 25 credits in Semester 1, I know that in itself isnt a problem, but is Algorithmic Problem Solving particularly useful? If it would be particularly handy for 2nd year Comp Sci (If I take it), I'd consider taking it on as an extra module (Yes, I know I'd have to pay) (Or possibly Information and Comms Technology, but that doesnt even seem to be compulsory for Denominated Comp Sci students!)

Also what languages do you use in 1st year Comp Sci?

1st year CS uses Java. I never did Algorithmic Problem Solving, but the lecturer is really nice and most people don't find it too difficult.

Advertisement