Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help finding boarding kennels

Options
  • 17-08-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi i have my 2 yr old Dalmatian booked into Wenden Kennels for a trial day next week . Don't know where else to try .
    Anyone know anything about Westcity kennels in Kingswood ?
    Was thinking of trying there .
    Thanks in advance for any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've heard Wenden kennels are good kennel wise, but wouldn't go back for grooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

thanks for that star-pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Hi MLettis
    I do home boarding and have PM'd you!

THanks Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I can heartily recommend Wenden. I've been using them for the last 10 years since the eldest was a pup. When Jim comes to collect them all three are obviously delighted to see him and go off with tails wagging happily, and when they come home they have obviously been treated well. I wouldn't even think of trying another kennel :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Ghost thats great to hear just hope now that his trial day goes well, apparently they dont normally like taking dalmatians

I've had to cancel trial day at Wenden as my dog became ill over the weekend. Will now have to look for somewhere else to put him . Wenden have said they will take him if I'm stuck but would prefer not too as they dont like taking dalmatians. So beacause of this I would be happier with kennels that would be happy to have him .Petsitters are out too as he doesnt get on well with other dogs. PLEASE HELP
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Did they say why they won't take Dalmations?
    Personally I would steer clear of somewhere that won't take a certain breed of dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

mlettis wrote: »
    Petsitters are out too as he doesnt get on well with other dogs.

Does a petsitter not come around to your house to take care of the animal?

Sorry should have explained more . I have been offered private boarding but that involves other dogs and petsitters have said they would have other dogs with them while walking. Wenden said dalmations bark and whine to much and get very stressed ,my dog is not a barker or whiner and once he gets walked and exercised only wants to crash out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rachel 999

Sorry should have explained more . I have been offered private boarding but that involves other dogs and petsitters have said they would have other dogs with them while walking. Wenden said dalmations bark and whine to much and get very stressed ,my dog is not a barker or whiner and once he gets walked and exercised only wants to crash out.
    Check out www.ibkca.com Happyhounds or bellewstownkennels.com are also good:):):)

Thanks Rachel 999 I'll have a look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

hey, not sure where you are based but corncrake kennels in wicklow are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Sorry to hear your dog has been ill. Hope he's better now. Other dogs seem to have problems with dalmatians - I have to put my oldest one on a lead if a dalmatian appears as she's likely to go for it and I've noticed others doing the same. Sorry I can't help as regards other kennels but I'll ask around and see if any of my friends can recommend one for you.

Hi thanks for help everyone
    Thanks ghost he is much better now .I'm checking out a few kennels at the weekend . Hope to find something that suits

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can recommend http://www.kilrottkennels.net/ .He is brilliant with all of the dogs but I was particurlary impressed with how he deals with my dog who is very excitable and high energy, yet always comes home wrecked tired and very happy. Keith breeds and shows rotties and staffs and so you can be sure that he knows how to handle larger dogs and should not have any problem taking a dalmation (I would avoid any "breed specific" kennels like the plague TBH)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fluffy123

Hi i have my 2 yr old Dalmatian booked into Wenden Kennels for a trial day next week . Don't know where else to try .

hi, i have used woofys kennels and cattery in straffan. i left my irish wolf hound there, excellent service and big spacious kennels,get 3 walks a day, loose in fields. staff were very friendly and it not mind me looking around the website is www.woofys.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I went up to Westcity Kennels as we are looking for a daycare for our Rottie for a couple of days a week. the woman I met was very nice and seemd to be sussing me out as much as I was sussing her out. They wont let you onto the premises though as they say they have no public liability insurance. You can see photos of the kennels on the webiste but I really am hesitant putting her in there without being allowed in to look around. That said I did get a good vibe off the lady I was talking too.

Has anyone used Mount Seskin Kennels in Brittas?

I'm working in the city west area so anywhere around there would be great if anyone can advise

Anto, Kilcullen is about 25mins from citywest. But the kennels there is the best. Honestly, if you can spare the half hour then try it for a few days. Your dog will be so happy! Mine loves it so much he tried to refuse to come home this weekend. Keith (the man who owns the kennell) had to drive me home because Harly refused to walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Whispered wrote: »
    Anto, Kilcullen is about 25mins from citywest. But the kennels there is the best. Honestly, if you can spare the half hour then try it for a few days. Your dog will be so happy! Mine loves it so much he tried to refuse to come home this weekend. Keith (the man who owns the kennell) had to drive me home because Harly refused to walk!

Jaysus Whispered you must be moving to do that in 25mins :D

Its not really a case of having a spare half hour, just that its going to be an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, time which could be spent exercising the dog. I dropped back over to Westcity there today and got chatting to one of the owners. There is no way they'll let you in to look around but I do get a good feeling off them. I might try it for a one day trial to see how she gets on. I did meet another customer outside who was collecting a dog and he said they're very good, he's been using them for 5 years.

I do like the look of Kilcullen though from what I've seen on their site, and would be keen on using them if it was for overnight or longer stays. The fact they breed rotties would be a bonus as they would know how to handle the breed

• Advertisement

antomagoo wrote: »
    Jaysus Whispered you must be moving to do that in 25mins :D
    Not at all, the mistake most people make is staying on the motorway. It ads about 15mins to the back roads. Anyway shhh about my driving, I get enough of that from my OH! :p

You're right about it being an hour extra, I just thought I'd mention them anyway as they really are great. I can't say enough for them.

Actually, I was working long hours over the weekend and found out at the last minute. They found room to accommodate me, there wasn't a problem with an extra night added on last min again and most embarassingly, my brat of a dog refused to walk home. And you know the strength of them when they get an idea in their head. I was afraid his collar would snap. In fairness he was terrified of the cars on the main road. I rang back into the kennels, someone came out and took the lead and he immediately calmed, it was great to see how much he trusts the kennell owner. But doesn't say a lot for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

I've used Bellewstown Kennels for both my dogs and cats. I've always found them to be very good and i've even had the dogs groomed there at one of the stay's. The staff seemed very nice and friendly. What happened to your dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Whispered wrote: »
    I can recommend http://www.kilrottkennels.net/ .He is brilliant with all of the dogs but I was particurlary impressed with how he deals with my dog who is very excitable and high energy, yet always comes home wrecked tired and very happy. Keith breeds and shows rotties and staffs and so you can be sure that he knows how to handle larger dogs and should not have any problem taking a dalmation (I would avoid any "breed specific" kennels like the plague TBH)

The only experience I had with Wenden Kennels was bringing a GSD bitch there to be serviced by a stud, I didn't find them helpfully or patient with the inexperienced bitch we had at the time. I never ended up using them for boarding after that so can't really comment on their boarding abilities.
    +1 on Kilrott Kennels, my dog will be staying with Keith in July. Keith bred my dog so I had cause to call to his kennels many time over the 8 weeks I was waiting to bring Brook home and he really takes pride in everything he does plus his rates are really competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 looneywooney

I agree, can't fault Bellewstown Kennels, my dogs are all over the owner when they see him, and thats good enough for me.... safe secure and well looked after, with a great set up for the little dogs.... happy chappies when they come home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is to be no discussion of Bellewstown kennels. Bans will be issued if this is ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement