Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating rent - PART II

Options
  • 17-08-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I posted recently about how to go about negotiating for rent, but the lack of specifics made it a little problematic. But...i am back and have a specific apartment in mind and hope people can help out.

I am currently looking at a 3 bed (3 doubles, with 1 en-suite) apartment located in Dundrum. The apartment comes furnished and the asking price is 1400 euro/month. The apartment has not yet been lived in as it has only been recently constructed.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to go about negotiating this rent down as much as possible, because for me it is quite expensive. Would this be regarded as a good price for this apartment? Any other info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Your best bet is to provide proof that similar properties are renting for lower. Go onto daft, find 3 bed apartments in the immediate area with similar features to the one you want (gated access, parking, refuse included etc) and see what they're going for. If they're all lower then either email your Landlord with links to these properties or send copies of the ads in the post and request your rent reduction.

Remember the Landlord doesnt have to give a rent reduction, if they can let it to someone else willing to pay higher then they will.

Also if you don't ask then you wont get so go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Does anyone think it would be unreasonable to look for a reduction of 10-15%?

I'm also looking for up-to-date figures on how much rent has gone down in the past year/6months/3months/1month kind of thing. Anyone have any ideas? I've looked on daft.ie, the CSO website and a simple google search but no luck really. I think that would be particularly helpful to use as a negotiating tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

http://www.daft.ie/report interesting reading.

Advertisement