Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brett Favre Back in NFL by 3rd Preseason game

• 17-08-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭

Sportscentre at the moment are saying yes to this. Havent been able to find a live feed but 5 of my buddies have text me and called me to say it. Dont know how true sportscenters reports are but only time will tell.

Looks like he is going to be a viking after all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cleveland+Cavaliers+v+Orlando+Magic+Game+6+LkGSneKW4rEl.jpg

Seriously. Make it stop. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I literally lol'd when I first saw the title of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I literally lol'd when I first saw the title of the thread.

I had mixed emotions writing it :D:D:D I cried, I laughed, I smiled and I was angry but then I hit the submit thread button and it all went away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

watching it now. they are reporting that a vikings player, unnamed of course, said that he will be a viking this year and that the deal is already done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Well it looks like it really is happening. This was posted about ten minutes ago:
    http://www.wisn.com/sports/20444893/detail.html

Report: Brett, Deanna Favre Get On Vikings Plane

According to the Hattiesburg Laurel Regional Airport, a plane with a Vikings logo on the tail left Mississippi within the hour and was headed to Minneapolis.

The administrative office at the airport told WISN 12 News that Brett and Deanna Favre were on the plane.

Favre had announced three weeks ago that he was staying retired, but there was a lot of speculation that it might not really be the end.

"He doesn't like training camp," 12 News Sports Director Dan Needles said.

Favre had surgery earlier this year in hopes to repair his shoulder so he could play, but in the end of July, the quarterback was said to have not been sure that he could actually make it through an entire season.

The former Green Bay quarterback retired from the Packers in March of 2008, but never officially filed paperwork with the NFL and was eventually traded to the New York Jets.

Favre retired from the Jets after the 2008-2009 season.

Will this never end???????:mad:

EDIT: Damn Hazys you beat me to it! :)

favre-sports-illustrated.jpg

man this is just ridiculous now! I wanted it to happen at the start because it would be interesting to watch him go against the Packers and I like Favre, but now I am starting to really resent him. unless he did this for pure comedy value (Which I would love him for!) in my opinion it casts him in a very bad light. Why couldn't he decide this two weeks ago?!! was it not surprising enough for him?!

I used to think he was like one of us, an everyday guy who also happened to be a Hall of Fame QB! And that was his draw, you could have imagined having a beer with him in some bar in Mississippi. But now he is coming of as a attention seeking diva in the vain of Ocho Psycho or whatever hes calling himself nowadays. Its sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

• Advertisement

$12mill for 1 year. GTFO this has to be a pisstake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Its been reported on SSN (well in the text part anyway) as a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Max Power1 wrote: »

I said it first...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61358252&postcount=5:D

Although I think most people knew he'd be back.

I know a lot of people think its just an ego trip with the humming and hawing but I genuinely think its a guy with no clue what to do with the rest of his life and having one profession he loves. I kind of like the fact that he clearly loves the game but a la Roy Keane he treads over people's toes with the constant changing of his mind which isn't cool. Imagine being Jackson or Sage Rosenfelt(don't know how to spell that...), must be terrible to go through the off season thinking 'oh ****, I might be out on my ass if he comes' to 'phew he's not coming back' 3 weeks ago to this now.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its been reported on SSN (well in the text part anyway) as a 2 year deal.

Your training camp theory is probably the most true part of the story, just like Strahan 2 years back he just couldn't be arsed it seems.

Opening line of his wikipedia is hilarious;

'Brett Lorenzo Favre (pronounced /ˈfɑrv/)[1] (born October 10, 1969, in Gulfport, Mississippi) is a previously retired, then unretired and current retired American football quarterback thinking about making a return to the National Football League (NFL).'

Says it all really...

Its offical now. He's already out on the practice field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

How he might look again...

FavreViking.jpg

Pffft. Media's gonna get yet another kick outta him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

My question is, did he plan this all along, string people along, then retire, then come back, all to miss training camp? Or did he just change his mind again? Either way it has a bad smell, either he's a devious motherf**ker or completely incapable of making a decision.

Still, fun and games, the NFC north is going to be entertaining this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

Honest to goodness, I just don't know anymore. I will never believe anything he says ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

JJ wrote: »

I just saw it 2 seconds after posting this.

so Mods can edit or delete or whatever they do..

Press Conference is on in about half an hour.

Where he'll probably announce he's changed his mind and will stay retired:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hazys wrote: »

Hes on the same wages as myself so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

week 8 in lambeau field should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Brad Childress must be desperate as ****. So who will brett be playing for next season ?

Hazys wrote: »

It's a two-year deal worth $25 million. $12 million the first year, $13 million the second. But I'd assume he'd retire after this season as well and then come back.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I hope Farve stays retired if he does retire. I'm tired of seeing the same story every off season with him. If he stays active, stay active. Don't put all this speculation of long term thinking on whether you're staying or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

Yawn.....who cares? I'm sick to the teeth of all this will I, won't I crap.....his arm will be knackered again come December. I like Brett, he's entertaining & was good to watch but I just dont want to hear his name again between now & opening weekend (I'm aware thats not going to happen)

Actually given the way Orton played agains the 49ers I'd take him in Denver next season :)

Cris Carter's opinion on the whole thing is a great watch.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4407313&categoryid=2378529

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

it seems Favre is tainting his reputation going by what a lot of media journalists are writing and by opinions on message boards. 2 years ago he was a legend, and an all time great. Now he is a pain in the a$$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

In my eys Favre has gone from a Legend to the biggest ego-maniac I've ever seen. Maybe bigger than T.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm still not quite sure about this yet... but in saying that it hasn't stopped me looking into flights and tickets for October 5th :D

€1500 too much for a weekend to see Favre wearing PURPLE destroy the Packers?

It's tempting me oh so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Couldn't stop smiling when I heard the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

While he's definitly a HOfer does anyone think this whole incident will mean he doesn't go in first time around? I suppose results with the vikings will be a lot more important, if he has a shocker he ould really struggle.

themont85 wrote: »
    Opening line of his wikipedia is hilarious;

'Brett Lorenzo Favre (pronounced /ˈfɑrv/)[1] (born October 10, 1969, in Gulfport, Mississippi) is a previously retired, then unretired and current retired American football quarterback thinking about making a return to the National Football League (NFL).'

Says it all really...

Brett Lorenzo Favre......that is one crazy name right there!!

• Advertisement

While he's definitly a HOfer does anyone think this whole incident will mean he doesn't go in first time around? I suppose results with the vikings will be a lot more important, if he has a shocker he ould really struggle.

I doubt it.

Whilst his 'antics' have pissed of quite a few people in the public and media(although they get great columns out of it), the Hall of Fame voters seem to really try to concentrate on the on the pitch stuff. He does hold a dump truck full of QB records overall and for the Packers. He has the ring. It would be odd not to put him in, the electors to the Hall whilst not adverse to controversy, would have to organise a plan to not elect him.

Although your right about his legacy, he has put a lot of it on the line here which I respect tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

TJ is a v poor QB but Farve im not sure if he will make a major difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Lorcan 17 wrote: »
    TJ is a v poor QB but Farve im not sure if he will make a major difference

Favre's a major upgrade over any of the quarterbacks in Minnesota.

As Lovie Smith said earlier, "He's another opponent". Favre's gonna be an offensive weapon that's gotta be dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Feels like a year ago that I was here saying:

Brett Favre to go down week 4, Vikes' season to collapse.

Oh wait, it was a year ago. Except it was the Jets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Favre is coming back with a frayed rotator cuff from years of throwing (not uncommon in a QB of his age).

As much as I think that Favre is the ultimate prima donna, he would have been crazy to turn down the reported $10-12 million that he is reported to be getting.

It is going to be interesting to see how this works out. As a native Chicagoan, I can't wish him anything but miserable failure on the field this season.

• Advertisement

Okay so...

Brett Favre 1 of 4 for 4 yards.
    Tarvaris Jackson 12 of 15 for 202 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Including a long bomb.

Good thing Brett isn't competing for his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Very bad fit for the Vikes IMO,

No Chemistry with Team = Favre has been parachuted into the team in training camp, with WR's who he has never played with, and therefore will have to build a rapport with them almost instantly to achieve a good start. And the WR corps is unproven at best, outside of Berrian. We saw how he lacked chemistry with his Jets WR's last year, expect similar.

Also, an anonymous Jets teammate said Favre had no friends in the locker room and that he was "distant." Favre might go get a few or twelve beers with Jared Allen, but the players will develop no emotional connection with Favre in the locker room for them to trust him when the game is on the line.

Renegade Nature = Favre throws very costly interceptions in big games. Look at the last two playoff contests Favre played in Green Bay. Both times, the game ended on a Favre interception. Favre is more likely to lose a very big game than win one because he takes unnecessary chances to gain more Favre Love points from the media.

He certainly isn't going to play ball control. He wants to throw the ball into double coverage. He led the NFL in interceptions last year. Playing with Adrian Peterson will not change his extreme aggressiveness. I am chalking up Favre for at least 17 interceptions this season

Very bad fit for the Vikes IMO,

No Chemistry with Team = Favre has been parachuted into the team in training camp, with WR's who he has never played with, and therefore will have to build a rapport with them almost instantly to achieve a good start. And the WR corps is unproven at best, outside of Berrian. We saw how he lacked chemistry with his Jets WR's last year, expect similar.

Also, an anonymous Jets teammate said Favre had no friends in the locker room and that he was "distant." Favre might go get a few or twelve beers with Jared Allen, but the players will develop no emotional connection with Favre in the locker room for them to trust him when the game is on the line.

Renegade Nature = Favre throws very costly interceptions in big games. Look at the last two playoff contests Favre played in Green Bay. Both times, the game ended on a Favre interception. Favre is more likely to lose a very big game than win one because he takes unnecessary chances to gain more Favre Love points from the media.

He certainly isn't going to play ball control. He wants to throw the ball into double coverage. He led the NFL in interceptions last year. Playing with Adrian Peterson will not change his extreme aggressiveness. I am chalking up Favre for at least 17 interceptions this season

These days in the NFL players come and go every season through free agency. I know he came very late on but the players are there to win and he knows the offence. Besides reports during the year said Farve was getting texts from Vikings players, I doubt he is a complete unknown to them.

The gunslinging mentality is certainly a worry for them but in fairness his arm gave way last year and a lot of picks were thrown near the season end.

Yeah, his arm gave way last year when he was a year younger.

It's gonna give way this year too, and he's going to throw picks and/or miss games. A pick is a pick whether it's because of injury or gunslinging or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Favre-DramaQueen.jpg

Karlusss wrote: »
    Yeah, his arm gave way last year when he was a year younger.

It's gonna give way this year too, and he's going to throw picks and/or miss games. A pick is a pick whether it's because of injury or gunslinging or whatever.

I'm gonna bookmark this post for January because I believe you are being very presumtive about Farve's year considering his past.

Advertisement