Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with ripping files from dvd

Options
  • 17-08-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am having a problem ripping some videos files which were too big to email so were burnt to dvd and sent to me. I need to back them up to my hard drive so I can edit them in Windows Movie Maker. But I have a problem in the files won’t rip correctly or movie maker doesn’t recognise them. I have downloaded k-lite codec pack and am still having problems.

Any help appreciated

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andylin

Perhaps you are in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Benandonner

You should be able to copy and paste them from the DVD instead/as well as ripping them.

Movie maker prob doesn't recognise the file type. Convert them to AVI/MPEG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 marksass

I use a programme called dvdxdvpro for removing files from dvd/converting them to .mov/.avi files... check it out, it's such a handy programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Hi,

I am having a problem ripping some videos files which were too big to email so were burnt to dvd and sent to me. I need to back them up to my hard drive so I can edit them in Windows Movie Maker. But I have a problem in the files won’t rip correctly or movie maker doesn’t recognise them. I have downloaded k-lite codec pack and am still having problems.

Any help appreciated

Thanks.

You need to find out the format of the files. Video is kept in what is referred to as a "container". That may be e.g., .AVI, or .MOV or other containers.

Within the container, is a video and audio file, and the container contains instruction for your computer video player on what types they are.

Video files are typically in Mp4 format, or other types of video (eg. Divx 5.0). the final file may have a different extension to the video, as the video is contained within it (like having video within a Powerpoint file).

Find the container type, and then you will find the video and audio type and be able to get a player to first play it. Get VLC for this.

Try first to copy the files directly to a HD. It will be quicker to work with. Once it's on a HD, use something like VLC and use file info in it to determine the format. Once you know the format, it will be easy to edit them (this is for example if you are emailed a video and it's a home movie encoded in MPEG2 from a Handycam and you are going to do some editing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What is the DVD, a DVD with files written as 'Data', or a DVD as in, one you play on a DVD player. It is something that's not clear from your post.

Try opening the DVD using: http://handbrake.fr/

Advertisement