Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God Have Mercy on our Souls - Champions League on TV3

• 17-08-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

FFS, how dare they take away the RTE panel every Tuesday?

That's a ****ing joke. :mad::mad::mad:

I just looked on my Sky, the Celtic vs Arsenal CLQ will be hosted by Matt Cooper, who is joined by Martin Keown and Tony Cascarino. :(:rolleyes: Could they scrape even lower in the barrel?

It will be as bad as their Rugby World Cup coverage.

Do ye agree?

*Apologies for the rant* :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I don't really mind the tv3 panel, nothing that can't be cured by turning over for a while. It's the poor camera quality that i can't stand. Somehow it's always darker than the rte one, and fuzzier or something. Always makes it look dull in the stadiums. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

It's only a qualifier, RTE will be back when normal service resumes i'm guessing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

FFS, how dare they take away the RTE panel every Tuesday?

That's a ****ing joke. :mad::mad::mad:

I just looked on my Sky, the Celtic vs Arsenal CLQ will be hosted by Matt Cooper, who is joined by Martin Keown and Tony Cascarino. :(:rolleyes: Could they scrape even lower in the barrel?

It will be as bad as their Rugby World Cup coverage.

Do ye agree?

*Apologies for the rant* :o
    The scary thing is, that panel is better than some of the ones they had before. Packie and Paul McGrath spring to mind.
    I remember how bad the RWC was, from the group stages they only showed the opening match and the ireland games! Then something along the lines of 2 quarters, 1 semi and the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Walsh wrote: »
    It's only a qualifier, RTE will be back when normal service resumes i'm guessing?

No. I believe TV3 have the Tuesday group stage matches at least.

Walsh wrote: »

No, they bought the rights for the tuesday night games again i think. Probably too many complaints about certain people missing desperate housewives didn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They have the qualifying games, but RTE have the usual Champions League "proper" coverage.

Matt Cooper though, he just doesn't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This Arsenal match is on Sky Sports as well.

JPA wrote: »

Sweet. Probably end up watching a stream now. :)
    Do tv3 not do any form of market research at all?

Edit: Just remembered seeing a tv listing for top 100 swimsuits or something the other night on tv3. Clearly they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

JPA wrote: »

As bad as tv3 are I think I'd prefer them to Jamie and Andy. I'm going to miss Eamon and John giving out about Ronaldo on Tuesdays. Much better than any of that Desperate housewives nonsense.

Also does this mean Graeme Souness won't be on Rte at all then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness Keown has always come across to me as quite thoughtful and articulate in interviewsw/analysing matches. As far as pundits go, hes far from the worst around.

Cascarino, however;the less said the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No Bill! No!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

flahavaj wrote: »
    In fairness Keown has always come across to me as quite thoughtful and articulate in interviewsw/analysing matches. As far as pundits go, hes far from the worst around.

Cascarino, however;the less said the better.
    Cascarino talks utter rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Will not watch. That's how bad they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Sport on TV3 is unspeakably bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Martin Keown is an excellent pundit imo, however sorry to see RTE won't have Tuesday nights, not for the expertise of punditry but for the possible arguments that are bound to break out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    They have the qualifying games, but RTE have the usual Champions League "proper" coverage.

TV3 have a game every Tuesday night that there is a Champions League game.

Alternatively every single game TV3 show will also be on Sky Sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

As bad as tv3 are I think I'd prefer them to Jamie and Andy. I'm going to miss Eamon and John giving out about Ronaldo on Tuesdays. Much better than any of that Desperate housewives nonsense.

Don't worry, they've been working on Berbatov for the past few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I always thought Cascarino was pretty decent. His column in the UK Times was always worth a read anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

OH NO, MATT COOPER!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Seen the ad earlier... Trevor Welch... yay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Sport on TV3 is unspeakably bad

They've also been known to give Ireland footie team the curse of losing every game they showed a match, this was the case a while back but not sure if it still is.

Hate watching the coverage on TV3, lucky I got Sky Sports:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Keith186 wrote: »
    They've also been known to give Ireland footie team the curse of losing every game they showed a match, this was the case a while back but not sure if it still is.

Will it extend to our club teams?

Get your money on Arsenal if so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I really don't care for TV3 analysis because I can figure out my arse from my elbow without Matt Cooper's help. I don't have Sky so I'll just watch the match and turn on the radio at half-time.

At least Trevor Brennan isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I always thought cas was a pretty decent pundit,was sat beside him on a flight to London the morning after he did last years uefa cup final for tv3 and he seemed very knowledgeable about european football and was happy enough to have a chat about the previous nights match.

Trevor Welsh and Matt Cooper are just terrible though!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is it not from season 10/11 that TV3 have Tuesday nights back? I thought RTE had it all this season (qualifiers are outside the normal arrangement though).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's the poor camera quality that i can't stand. Somehow it's always darker than the rte one, and fuzzier or something. Always makes it look dull in the stadiums. :(
    Yes, so true. How do they manage to fook up light? It makes the games depressing :(

Is it certain that RTE won't be showing Tuesday night CL games too, once the group stage starts? It used to be that both channels had a game on Tuesday nights..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Trevor Welch seems to be TV3 only commentator!...they shockin for sports coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I f*ckin HATE how that TV3 presenter (the little fat fella) pronounces the "Real" in Real Madrid.

RAYOLL Madrid. Makes me wanna smash the telly.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

flahavaj wrote: »
    I f*ckin HATE how that TV3 presenter (the little fat fella) pronounces the "Real" in Real Madrid.

RAYOLL Madrid. Makes me wanna smash the telly.:mad:

LOL ..thats trev alright id say !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Eamo and John:Rafa is a chancer,roatating,zonal,Ronaldo is a puffball,Berbatov is lazy,tactics dont work,i dont believe in a defensive midfielder, and other such rubbish.In all honesty who will miss that type of punditry.

Cascarino's coulumn is very good,he is decent on the game podcast,Keown is also very good and Cooper is alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

TV3's A-team is almost as bad as RTE's B-team.

At least Packie Bonner isn't presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Damn, very disappointed to learn about this. ITV show football on Tuesdays as well don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

raven136 wrote: »
    Eamo and John:Rafa is a chancer,roatating,zonal,Ronaldo is a puffball,Berbatov is lazy,tactics dont work,i dont believe in a defensive midfielder, and other such rubbish.In all honesty who will miss that type of punditry.

Cascarino's coulumn is very good,he is decent on the game podcast,Keown is also very good and Cooper is alright.

Are you actually being serious there. The boys on RTE are the only lads on tele who aren't afraid to call it as they see it and invariably they get it right.

Football punditry has been glamorized by Sky in recent years with Andy Gray getting his own show and chess set to ned on about nothing and Dermot Gallagher always seems to be on it for no reason other than to be asked the same questions every week about diving and goal line technology. Why Jamie Redknapp is on the panel is beyond me. He can't make a point without referring to cliches and he is partly to blame for the popular notion that Ronaldo is the greatest thing to walk the Earth since Jesus himself. Someone should also tell him that the phrase is "he was all over him" not "he were all over him" and so on.

As for Cascarino I loved him as a player but too many former players are getting "exclusive columns" in the rags for any of them to be taken seriously. Last time I checked Stephen Hunt has a column. What has he done in journalistic terms to be given such an opportunity.

I'm willing to give Martin Keown the benefit of the doubt. Strangely enough even though I would rank him as one of the most annoying players when he was around i actually quite like him as a pundit. I remember him being on MOTD a while back and he seemed sensible enough.

As for Matt Cooper the chap struggled with the rugby at least it should be a laugh watching him try out soccer for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

5starpool wrote: »
    Is it not from season 10/11 that TV3 have Tuesday nights back? I thought RTE had it all this season (qualifiers are outside the normal arrangement though).

No. It starts tonight with their coverage of Celtic v Arsenal.
    Damn, very disappointed to learn about this. ITV show football on Tuesdays as well don't they?

Not this season. ITV will be showing 1 game per week on Wednesdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mossy is right:

Irish rights
    In the Republic of Ireland, UEFA has also announced the first award of UEFA Champions League rights. From 2009 to 2012, Ireland's public service broadcaster RTÉ will broadcast the first-choice match on a Wednesday night (including the UEFA Champions League final and the UEFA Super Cup), as well as a Wednesday night highlights programme and the weekly magazine programme – all on RTÉ Two. The rights will also be exploited on the internet via www.rte.ie and on mobile via RTÉ.ie Mobile.

Internet and mobile
    Commercial broadcaster TV 3 has secured the rights to the first-choice match on a Tuesday, as well as a Tuesday night highlights programme, delayed matches and the weekly magazine programme. These rights will be exploited on the TV 3 channel, on the internet via www.tv3.ie and on mobile.

Source

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Balls. TV3 sports presentation is the worst I have ever seen.

Advertisement