Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee At Breaking Point.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/home-of-the-rose-is-now-plagued-with-thorns-1861401.html

Tralee was always a rough town from what i remember, but it looks like the people there are at breaking point due to mass unemployment and mass Immigration.
    Hmm..i think jim cusak needs a good kick in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/home-of-the-rose-is-now-plagued-with-thorns-1861401.html

Tralee was always a rough town from what i remember, but it looks like the people there are at breaking point due to mass unemployment and mass Immigration.

That's a bit rough:pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's a bit rough:pac:
    No its not.If i went to wherever he lives and started on his town im sure he wouldnt like it either.I wouldnt mind if it was written well,but its mostly based on hearsay and apparent fact.

You can always rely on the Indo for facts, figures and evidence (even if they did make them up):o

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I agree with the majority of the article, anyone who thinks Tralee isn't going down the pan needs to take the wool from over their eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

You could write this about any town. I remember reading this article and being so annoyed as to throw down the paper. Tralee has it's problems, like any other town.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 badkittybad

Adro947 wrote: »
    You could write this about any town. I remember reading this article and being so annoyed as to throw down the paper. Tralee has it's problems, like any other town.

I agree,it can be rough but I lived and worked in inner city Dublin and London and Tralee is a tip toe true the tulips in comparision.

Last week Tralee,this week Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I have worked in Tralee for almost 3 years.

Every so often I have to go into town at lunch time.

Every time I am down there I cannot get over the amout of knackers and scum bags that are around teh Mall and Castle St, and that is during the day.

The article is about Tralee, when there is an article written about Castlebar the people there will be pissed off with it, but that does not hide the fact that Tralee is a S**t hole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

This article was already posted on the Tralee thread. It was in the Sindo last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Let's not shoot the messenger for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think Tralee is abit of a letdown compared to the stunning of the rest of Co. Kerry. I mean, it should be a kind of Kilkenny/Killarney type town bit instead it appears rundown and rough. To my eyes atleast. Nearly 2 years since I visited though I doubt much has changed.

Part two from the Sindo, this time not by Jim Cusack:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tralee-sees-red-at-claim-that-its-no-bed-of-roses-1867308.html

Tralee sees red at claim that it's no bed of roses

Anger in festival town over 'one sided' report of drugs and violence

By DON LAVERY

Sunday August 23 2009

The President of Tralee Chamber of Commerce has said an article in the Sunday Independent about the town created a strong reaction and many people were "furious and angry" about the depiction of Tralee, although he did agree the town needed to face up to certain challenges. Mr Seamus O'Donovan, who has lived in Tralee for 35 years, said he was disappointed at the "one-sided and biased" depiction of the town.
    He was referring to an article by journalist Jim Cusack last week, headlined 'Home of the Rose is now plagued with thorns', in which the journalist wrote about his experience of the town during a short visit. Among other things, it referred to a drug culture with seizures of crystal meth; faction-fighting among Travellers; boy racers; and drunken street violence at night. Mr O'Donovan said he didn't think anyone could deny such problems existed in Tralee but they could be found in any town. They did not happen on a regular basis, he added, but when someone went looking for them, they were there. According to Mr O'Donovan, such issues are not unique to Tralee.
    He found it strange that a journalist who spent seven or eight hours in the town did not find anything positive to report. Tralee had an excellent community spirit, it was a suitable town for rearing children, and had two good hospitals, a train station, an airport 15 minutes away, and loads of facilities and cultural activities to choose from.
    Mr O'Donovan said he was happy to bring his children up in Tralee, and he criticised what he called "hearsay", "subjective comments" and the "anecdotal evidence" in the article.
    Ger Power told a local newspaper the article was "completely over the top", while another former football star, Eoin Liston, said it was "unbalanced", adding that, after 23 years living in Tralee, he wouldn't swap it for any other place. Businessman Der O'Sullivan said the article was "a hatchet job". Garda Chief Superintendent John Kerin told 'Kerry's Eye' that he didn't believe the article was "an accurate reflection", and that it had "set out to paint a dark picture of violence, substance abuse and a subculture that is not, in reality, Tralee".
    "I have a fair degree of experience in many towns. The problems are exactly the same everywhere," he said. The chief superintendent added that it was "grossly unfair and exaggerated" to portray Tralee in such a negative manner.
    He dismissed one person's claim in the article that Tralee was more violent than even rough parts of London and New York. "That is completely untrue and outlandish. Crime in those large cities is much more prevalent and more violent," he said. He said any type of violence could not be condoned or accepted, but what was happening among the Traveller community in the town did not impact on other citizens.
    Tralee Town Clerk Michael Scannell also told the local newspaper that the article was filled with innuendo and hearsay, adding: "It was very unbalanced and does not accentuate the positive community spirit that exits throughout Tralee."
    The Chairman of Holiday Tralee, Padraig McGillycuddy, who runs Ballygarry House Hotel, said the portrayal was "disgraceful and untrue."
    "There were comments made that were not attributed to anyone and there was a certain amount of isolated negativity by a selected few. Ninety per cent of our community are positive and love the town and are pushing the cart up the hill. It's easy for one person to push it down," he said.
    The article on the town, which has again gained national and international coverage with its Rose festival, which opened with a Gala Ball at the weekend, also attracted a number of letters to the Sunday Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

"One of the typically erudite Kerry shopowners in the town who spoke to the Sunday Independent only on the strict condition of anonymity used the term "dystopia" to describe modern-day Tralee"

Excuse the bad language but **** right off! When has anyone in Tralee used the word dystopia!!! Thats hilarious and clearly made up.
    AS for Boy Racers cruisin in castle street "smoking joints"... Anyone who's been in tralee knows you can't drive at more that 5 mph down castle stree because of the traffic anyway... and how would the writer know if it was a joint??? Could have been a rolley?
    Its quite hard to make out the difference... unless your a reguler joint smoker. Which the writer clearly is if they see Tralee in this way.

Lived in Tralee all my life... and yes there is trouble every now and again... but Castleisland is far far worse. I've spent a month in Ballyfermot in Dublin... that was scary. Tralee is a doddle in comparison. You know where not to go and everything is fine.

Finally, the Gárdaí are out in great numbers for the festival and i've witnessed no trouble so far. Its the safest i've ever felt out in Tralee. Just proves what everyone has been saying for years, extra Gárdaí is the solution to any problems in any town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 santonvegas

DDC1990 wrote: »
    "One of the typically erudite Kerry shopowners in the town who spoke to the Sunday Independent only on the strict condition of anonymity used the term "dystopia" to describe modern-day Tralee"

Excuse the bad language but **** right off! When has anyone in Tralee used the word dystopia!!! Thats hilarious and clearly made up.

hahaha, yeah what the hell. Is he deliberately trying to let people know he's making this s**t up? This guy is a scandal paper writer, and by the looks of it, he just wants to make a name for himself as an Eamon Dumphy of the broad sheets. He deserves to be on the payroll of News of the World.

I was born just outside Tralee, and have since moved away due to college/work, but head back regularly. As long as i have been going out there I've never been hassled. Ive seen fights now and again but no different than any other town/city at 3am! Its not the first time he's been attacked for writing bull stories though, so i wouldn't pay much attention:

- http://www.indymedia.ie/article/81994
    - http://www.indymedia.ie/article/78773
    - http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74602 (transcript from Newstalk interview)

Still, as a result of this ass I wont be buying that paper again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭donaghs

As an outsider looking in, sorry, but compared with Killarney or Dingle, Tralee has a hell of a lot more scumbags. Always see lots more violence there and general scumbaggery. The article isn't exactly a research paper but compared with other rural Irish towns of its size, Tralee has serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Indymedia people's heads are so far up their own asses that they can see nothing but ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 LikePlace

http://www.likeplace.ie/places/index.php?stateplace=Tralee,Kerry

Mixed reviews, but some positive at least.

(21st most liked place in Kerry. 295th in Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Panda Bear

does he have the balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 LikePlace

<snip>

[Please do not link to your own review site here]

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

LikePlace wrote: »

What kind of credibility has this site, maybe the linked site would be more credible in that it has no anonymous comments............

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120845893839

• Advertisement

What kind of credibility has this site, maybe the linked site would be more credible in that it has no anonymous comments............

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120845893839

Zero credibility, any old fool can say what they like, a bit like that other site
    http://www.knowhere.co.uk/Northern-Ireland-and-Republic-of-Ireland/index

It's mostly re the UK, but some Irish towns get a mention, including Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭ladylouise

i find the kerry people very very tough .the extremlay clever despite what other counties think. i am no where near as smart or clever kerry person.i wish i was kerry person.
    its the people not the city it self

ladylouise wrote: »
    City?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 santonvegas

ladylouise wrote: »
    i find the kerry people very very tough .the extremlay clever despite what other counties think. i am no where near as smart or clever kerry person.i wish i was kerry person.

Thats the cute whoreness you see!

Advertisement