Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lansdowne road - uh oh!

• 17-08-2009 6:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

IMG_8788_(Small)_17534868.JPG

emm anyone else see anything "wrong" with this picture?:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

is slanting downwards??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

"these seats may have a restricted view"

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Nope.

Imagine you are sitting 6 or 7 rows up from that and you might see the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think they will ok. As long as you can see the pitch they will sell the tickets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Got to be fúcking joking.Will things ever be done right and to a good standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Im guessing some of those bars are temporary support struts that will get taken down? If not, then whoever designed it should get fired. With real fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They look temporary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Ahm, do ye really think that's the final position of the roof?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    They look temporary.

They are permanent. That is the final position of the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

but wouldn't you actually be sitting in the roof if you were much higher than the level of that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Don't think those bars are temporary, look at this mockup of the stadium when it's finished:

AvivaStadium7_33792694.jpg

My hunch is that the roof will be in a higher location, or the obstruction from view is nowhere near as bad as is being made out by the angle of the OP photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Don't think those bars are temporary, look at this mockup of the stadium when it's finished:

My hunch is that the roof will be in a higher location, or the obstruction from view is nowhere near as bad as is being made out by the angle of the OP photo.
    Jeeees the terraced end behind the goal looks tiny. :eek:

Shouldn't restrict to much of the view of the pitch but will be headwrecking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bandit12 wrote: »

It is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

and it wont be terraced either, fully permanently seated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Make sure you don't buy the cheap seats! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Relax people. This isn't the just FAI, it's a joint venture between them and the IRFU. If it was just the FAI i'd be worried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

the views wont be restricted, you will be able to see the whole pitch from wvery seat, that angle is just very deceptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

The Football Association of Ireland put the FAI in FAIL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Reckon it won't be much smaller than Hill16..should work out well

wouldn't worry about the design, I'm sure it's all in hand...if a few bods on the net have spotted a glaring obvious it's probably because they don't know what they're lokking at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I think Neil is on the button there above.

Those bars are just waiting to be hoisted higher and further out into position.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would like to think so. Surely it will be finished to a very high spec, not where a seat will have a restricted view, those days should be well and truly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

When roof is finished it will be raised up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

dsmythy wrote: »
    Make sure you don't buy the cheap seats! :D

Its the FAI,they don't do cheap seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

the white bars will be removed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

mink_man wrote: »
    the white bars will be removed!

No....they won't. If you look at the artist's impression this is quite obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

If you actually look at the first photo and at the very end of the roof section. The support pillar for that roof would be on the pitch in its current position. Thats resting there during the construction phase. That will be hoisted up and moved back and its final position will be vastly different to that photo.

A little bit of sensationalism there on the OP part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

In fairness lads theres no way a modern day stadium will be built with restricted views.

Having a heart attack and sayin "Oh noes the FAI is involved" is a bit sensationalist. I'm sure all will be weell when its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Artist obviously got it wrong because we quite clearly have a blue sky? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This may be me being behind the times a bit, but... please tell me they're not callin it the Aviva Stadium...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    This may be me being behind the times a bit, but... please tell me they're not callin it the Aviva Stadium...?

Thats the official new name for it but it'll always be called Lansdowne Rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

darkman2 wrote: »

The seats are gonne be facing the pitch? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Tbh i'm not that impressed with what it looks like from that, which presumably is accurate. It looks like if you were sitting in the highest seats at the halfway line your view would be effected by those white bars. Looks a bit sh!t to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Artist obviously got it wrong because we quite clearly have a blue sky? :o

ai.jpg

Much Better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

There are no goal posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Is it just me or does the seating look quite far from the pitch? Like everyone moans about Croke Park for the internationals but this just seems to be the same?

Even the sideline is miles away from where the dugouts will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

PCros wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the seating look quite far from the pitch? Like everyone moans about Croke Park for the internationals but this just seems to be the same?

Even the sideline is miles away from where the dugouts will be.

the dugouts will be located between the orange 'track' and the sideline, plenty of room there, and ample room for players warming up, technical area etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

3 things wrong with the artists impression

1. no corner flags
    2. no linesmen
    3. no dugout

no floodlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

you can come from under that rock you've been living under for the last year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

thorbarry wrote: »
    ai.jpg

Much Better ;)
    yeah the opposition look like they are on the attack, so looks pretty accurate to me!

that pic would make a really nice transparent background for soccer forum

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

The roof will be raised somewhat. However, the views may be restricted. "All areas of the pitch will be visible from every seat". I was in Old Trafford near the top of the Stretford End and you can't see most of the stadium but can see the full pitch.

oldtrafford_468x596.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Seems the OP's concerns were correct, the architects have admitted there will be restricted views in some seats...the answer? concession seats :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Its Croke Park envy.

When the GAA built a stadium with three sides, the FAI followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

you can come from under that rock you've been living under for the last year

Ah, the irony: someone in Ireland referring to Berlin as "a rock"...!
    :pac::pac::pac:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think i'll wait til i'm sitting in there watching a match to make a judgement on it and not while it's still a construction site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It really is disgusting how many premium level seats there are in the new Lansdowne Road compared to other stadiums. To have 11,300 premium and box level seats out of a 50,000 capacity stadium is absolutely horrific. Look at how it compares to other relatively new stadiums...

Wembley - 15,000 premium seats out of 90,000
    Croke Park - c 9/10,000 out of 82,000
    Emirates - 7,139 premium seats out of 60,000

I'm surprised there hasn't been more criticism levelled at the FAI/IRFU about this, because I know Arsenal fans were kicking up a shít storm about premium seats taking up 11% of the total capacity in the Emirates. Well, in the Lansdowne the percentage is almost double that, at 22.8%.

I'm usually not one to jump on the FAI-hating bandwagon, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these figures. There will be less than 39,000 "normal" seats available to purchase for the average football, which is even less than that of the old Lansdowne Road when the terraces were open. You can even see it in the design of the stadium how utterly depressing it is that the premium and box seats take over so much of the site, and even more depressing when you consider they're not even going to be completely sold out when the stadium opens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I agree in principle Daysha but they had to sell these tickets to pay for the ground - it's ****e but it's the way it is.

Not being able to see the match may be a good thing at times tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement