Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are used cars becoming harder to come by?

• 17-08-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Have created some threads here before and always got some great advice.

Have been saving for a car for some time. Have changed my mind many times within the past 8 months as to what kind of a car I want.

Currently due to the fact that I'm still a learner, and can get nervous easily; I'm not willing to spend anything more than 6000 on a car. I get nervous easily once I'm taken out from my comfort zone.

Interested in buying one of these:
    Vw polo,
    Ford fiesta,
    Opel corsa.
    Nissan Micra
    Peugeot 207.

In that order.

So for the budget that I have it will probably buy me maybe an 03/04 of one of these cars.

Went to two car dealerships today just to see what they had. And nothing matched my critria.

However looked at other small cars that would be suitable for me:
    06 skoda fabia. Nice car but a little over my budget at 7200. Seller dropped from 7900. Milage is 41000 miles.

05 renault clio. Was 6900, dropped to 6200. 23,060 miles. Nice car but not too sure about. Asked the dealer about the NCT and he said its up in 2011. Made a terrible mistake not checking and the page he printed for me says nct to: jan 09.

So was wondering are used cars becoming harder to come by.

Have checked a lot online lately and also in local papers and theres nothing locally matching my critria.

Should I continue to wait and do some more car shopping. Or should I take one of the above offers.

And advice would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I got a '05 fiat stilo (3dr) for just over 4k a couple of months back, and I scowered the country for a small learner friendly car for 3 weeks!

I also found for my budget only 3 dealers had cars in that price range, and that there were much more being sold privately.

So I just bought privately, and so far so good, although I did take a mate with me who knows stuff about cars and was able to give them the once over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

you have a micra on the list which is a renault clio with a different body ,same chassis ,engine and electrical components .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I reckon they're rare enough in that bracket. I've even less $$$ (2.5k) and there's SFA about with decent milage. Went a-lookin today in Limerick and the stuff on forecourts was simply tat and most of the sales people didnt even bother coming offering help or advice. The one that did, offered a 00 Micra 1.0L with 63k on the clock for 2350 :eek:....

Mind'yo theres an AWFUL lot of metal of 05/06/07/08 for crazy pennies around tho....

Regardless of whether cars are now more expensive, I reckon I'm off to the YOOKAY again for my next banger...

FBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

kasper wrote: »
    you have a micra on the list which is a renault clio with a different body ,same chassis ,engine and electrical components .

I think in other words what you are saying is to steer well clear of the Micra kasper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP you're limiting yourself with your choice of cars, especially since at least 2 of those cars aren't that great (the Polo and the 207). You should look at:

'05 Citroen C4 €6k
    '06 Grande Punto €6k
    '06 Micra €5,750
    '06 Corsa €5,400

Not sure where you're getting the concept of €6k only buying an 03/04 model, there's loads of younger cars out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There are a lack of good second hand cars on the forecourts because people.are keeping their cars for longer and not trading in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Fiat Panda, all 6000 euro or less;

2007, 10563 miles
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194464938

2006, 33554 miles
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194510362

2006, 15534 miles
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200849191079229

I have no experience with these cars but have only heard good things, so long as you can put your pride aside and not worry about it being uncool or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Owandy

For the love of God don't buy a Fiat. Or anything made outside Japan. Buy privately, bring a mechanic or someone experienced with you. Offer them much, much less then the asking price. They'll probably take it. I've been doing it for years without a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Owandy wrote: »
    For the love of God don't buy a Fiat. Or anything made outside Japan. Buy privately, bring a mechanic or someone experienced with you. Offer them much, much less then the asking price. They'll probably take it. I've been doing it for years without a problem.

There's so much wrong with that post i don't even know where to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Owandy wrote: »

:D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The panda is supposed to be a great car. James May from top gear drives one.

Ridiculous. Fiats are extremely reliable cars nowadays. Have you time travelled from the eighties or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Christ sake why is it so difficult to understand you should be competent and able to drive before you own a car. An instructor should do you until you pass a test. Buying a car while learning is a recipe for picking up bad habits and failing the test numerous times. Fair enough some people manage it, but some of the one's I know must only have passed because the tester didn't want to risk getting into the car with them again.

Pass your test and then buy a decent car.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Christ sake why is it so difficult to understand you should be competent and able to drive before you own a car. An instructor should do you until you pass a test.

And how is that practical exactly?

take your time because you are not an experienced driver bring someone reliablely qualified to look at whatever car you feel suits you some warranty would be good ,haggle on price all they can say is no ,japanise european the technology is the same learn the basics how to check oil and coolant and so on best of luck

Confab wrote: »
    And how is that practical exactly?
    You book your test. Get the date and get 10-15 lessons depending on need in the 6 weeks leading up to your test.

How safe exactly is it to have unqualified drivers out there.

Which is more important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

Buy a Hyundai! Very reliable! And some can even look well!!!! :eek: :eek: (for a small learners car)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Accent/GT-SPORT/200931194780596/advert?channel=CARS

Says he after ditching one in a scrapyard:p:p Any wing mirrors going spare:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Christ sake why is it so difficult to understand you should be competent and able to drive before you own a car. An instructor should do you until you pass a test. Buying a car while learning is a recipe for picking up bad habits and failing the test numerous times. Fair enough some people manage it, but some of the one's I know must only have passed because the tester didn't want to risk getting into the car with them again.

Pass your test and then buy a decent car.

ninty9er, I've had plenty of lessons and continuing with lessons on a weekly basis. The majority of my driving experience are lessons and its not enough. Failed my last test by only a few marks. Came so close to getting to it. One of the only things that is holding me back is not getting any practice in between lessons. So how dare you.
    I came on here looking for advice on buying a car and not to given out to because I'm a learner. You have absolutely no idea. Do you think I'm going to be tearing around roads on my own? How dare you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

ninty9er, I've had plenty of lessons and continuing with lessons on a weekly basis. The majority of my driving experience are lessons and its not enough. Failed my last test by only a few marks. Came so close to getting to it. One of the only things that is holding me back is not getting any practice in between lessons. So how dare you.
    I came on here looking for advice on buying a car and not to given out to because I'm a learner. You have absolutely no idea. Do you think I'm going to be tearing around roads on my own? How dare you

slap.jpg

• Advertisement

Well said shrekasaurus!

How dare you Ninty9er.....how dare you.....

If you're not going to be tearing around on your own then you don't need a car, just insurance on someone elses.

This is a motors forum. Don't come on here stating quite plainly you're a nervous unqualified driver and expect that we'll all be happy to have you coming down a country lane against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

You book your test. Get the date and get 10-15 lessons depending on need in the 6 weeks leading up to your test.

How safe exactly is it to have unqualified drivers out there.

Which is more important?

Qualified don't necassarily mean safe!!!!!!!!

Has the OP considered crossin the border?! may be a bit of a journey, but the better half picked up a 06 peugeot 206 1.4 petrol. spotless one owner 17k miles. bargain basement £3500 sterling, €1500 approx to vrt. cheap as chips. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

:rolleyes::D

no-image.gif

Eh !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We have a winner ! Riposte of the Month !! :D:D

btw, OP - I'm with you.

Oh, and best car I ever owned, rose-tinted glasses included?........yep, a Fiat.
    There is a middle ground - a small local garage near me constantly trades learner cars - right now they have a warranted 00 reg Punto, for 1k. Even if you bump into every ditch for the next 12 months practising, you could walk away from it with no loss.

OWANDY - Unless you've owned one, your really should desist......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

:Das well as auto trder, search www.usedcarsni.com.

dealers are useless when it comes to cheaper cars, go private and take a mechanically minded mate with ya!!!!!!!!!!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    :rolleyes::D

no-image.gif

Eh !!!!!!!!!!
    Back when I was 18 I'd have been happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

When I was 18 I'd be happy with that!

I think when I was 18, I'd have been happy just to get a lift in one !! :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Back when I was 18 I'd have been happy with that!

Not the point. You said "some of them look good " . Now Im sorry but there's no way I could let that go. :D

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Not the point. You said "some of them look good " . Now Im sorry but there's no way I could let that go. :D

I used to be cool! I must be getting old....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Any more off topicness and crap about learners and I'll show you just how hard this girly girl can swing the banhammer

Onkle wrote: »
    Any more off topicness and crap about learners and I'll show you just how hard this girly girl can swing the banhammer
    There are plenty of good cars out there, but I'm just as entitled to my opinion as the next person, and give pretty much a similar response to anyone who asks the question.

What car is good for a learner?

An instructors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

An instructors!

Well said, as I found any time I drove with someone other than an instructor, they were trying to give me their bad habits thinking they were right.

For the OP, try to get practice in where you can, but the person you need to listen to is the Instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Have been saving for a car for some time. Have changed my mind many times within the past 8 months as to what kind of a car I want.

Currently due to the fact that I'm still a learner, and can get nervous easily; I'm not willing to spend anything more than 6000 on a car. I get nervous easily once I'm taken out from my comfort zone.

Vw polo,
    Ford fiesta,
    Opel corsa.
    Nissan Micra
    Peugeot 207.

In that order.

So for the budget that I have it will probably buy me maybe an 03/04 of one of these cars.

Went to two car dealerships today just to see what they had. And nothing matched my critria.

06 skoda fabia. Nice car but a little over my budget at 7200. Seller dropped from 7900. Milage is 41000 miles.

05 renault clio. Was 6900, dropped to 6200. 23,060 miles. Nice car but not too sure about. Asked the dealer about the NCT and he said its up in 2011. Made a terrible mistake not checking and the page he printed for me says nct to: jan 09.

Have checked a lot online lately and also in local papers and theres nothing locally matching my critria.

Should I continue to wait and do some more car shopping. Or should I take one of the above offers.

I don't think so, some people are just nuts imo, still looking for big money for old tat. Some good 'uns still though.
    Check this out. Base model fiasco with low-ish miles. What d'you reckon.

http://cars.buyandsell.ie/vehicles/view/734447/ford-fiesta-2006

Anyone got an opinion on this ?

Well said, as I found any time I drove with someone other than an instructor, they were trying to give me their bad habits thinking they were right.

For the OP, try to get practice in where you can, but the person you need to listen to is the Instructor.

Is it not better to be familiar with your own car with the instructor, rather than buying a car just after you've passed the test, that you are totally unfamiliar with, when you're at your least experienced.

• Advertisement

There are plenty of good cars out there, but I'm just as entitled to my opinion as the next person, and give pretty much a similar response to anyone who asks the question.

An instructors!

You don't know the circumstances of the OP. They asked for advice on a particular type of car in a motors forum. It's what it's here for. If you'd like to step down from your high horse now please and either advise on the pros and cons of the cars listed or refrain from posting in this thread

Any more and I'm handing out bans

Sorry, but I'm not the only one dragging this thread off topic in more ways than one.

Do me a favour and ban me to ****. Load a me bollix

An Accent? I'd rather drive a kid's tricycle. The '01 car has a 1 1/2 star NCAP rating. Hell, even the '01 Punto has a 4 star rating.

Sorry, but I'm not the only one dragging this thread off topic in more ways than one.

Do me a favour and ban me to ****. Load a me bollix

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everybody.

The renault deal comes with a 1 year used car guarantee, and 1 year AA cover. Have to talked to my brothers (god bless them) and they said its a good deal and try and haggle more off the price. Will organise somebody to go in sometime to have a look at it and under the bonnet. All going well I'll get. But knowing my kind of luck by the time I get around to doing anything the car will be gone. Nighty9er will get his wish.

Forgot to mention in my first post that I don't want anything more powerful than a 1.2L. Will keep the suggestions in mind if it doesn't work out with the Clio. Hopefully it will.

• Advertisement

best of luck with it happy motoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

fatboypee wrote: »
    I reckon they're rare enough in that bracket. I've even less $$$ (2.5k) and there's SFA about with decent milage. Went a-lookin today in Limerick and the stuff on forecourts was simply tat and most of the sales people didnt even bother coming offering help or advice. The one that did, offered a 00 Micra 1.0L with 63k on the clock for 2350 :eek:....

Mind'yo theres an AWFUL lot of metal of 05/06/07/08 for crazy pennies around tho....

Regardless of whether cars are now more expensive, I reckon I'm off to the YOOKAY again for my next banger...

FBP.

Something like this would be an ok buy I reckon:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/963136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Forgot to mention in my first post that I don't want anything more powerful than a 1.2L

The capacity of an engine is no way to measure the power. You could get more than 120 horses from a normally aspirated 1.2l petrol engine or less than fifty from a normally aspirated diesel lump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

maidhc wrote: »
    Something like this would be an ok buy I reckon:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/963136

+1

Save your money until you have more confiedence and would appreciate a better car more. These are good, and at that price well worth looking into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Is it not better to be familiar with your own car with the instructor, rather than buying a car just after you've passed the test, that you are totally unfamiliar with, when you're at your least experienced.

That wouldn't have worked in my case, as I got lessons in Dublin and Mayo to suit my college schedule. If the person is unfamiliar with their car, they can still take an instructor with them I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Is there something wrong with a learner buying their own car, getting lessons in it and in the meantime having a fully licensed driver in the car with them to practice in between lessons? Good continuity using the same car and lots of practice with technique fine tuned by an instructor regularly sounds good to me as a reasonable and mature learning method.

I cant understand why people are getting on the OP's back about this.

One poster mentioned an old punto and i would definitely agree, you can get oldish small cars for dirt cheap these days that are still safe and wont cost an arm and a leg if something major happens or it ends up with a few bumps and bruises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

Vw polo,
    Ford fiesta,
    Opel corsa.
    Nissan Micra
    Peugeot 207.

In that order.

Did you look on DoneDeal.ie??

here i found this in 2 seconds!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/968349

and if worst comes to worst you can buy this;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/964509 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

Advertisement