Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dunleer

Options
  • 17-08-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Can anyone give me info on what dunleer is like to live in, we are seroiusly considering moving here. We like the area but what is it like and how are the schools as we have a little boy. What secondary schools are there in the area. Any help or opinions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hi i am not from dunleer but live in a village called tenure about 4 miles from it , dunleer is grand they have a brilliant secondary school loads of pubs , shops and carlitos restaurant/ take away also sorrentos take away which has the best chips/food ever

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Yeah its a decent enough spot. As whelan1 mentioned it has a decent new secondary school and lots of pubs, takeaways and a restaurant. I live just up the road from Dunleer and wouldn't mind living there either..! Just a pity the train station never reopened..!

Rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

forgot to sat there's a library there too

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

ratsam wrote: »
    Just a pity the train station never reopened..!

And probably never will.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

hey op

i live still there. its a grand wee town.
    there are a few nice pubs, shearmans and mullers being too. good restaurant in Carlitos and then a few nice other places like bia, the franklin cafe and there are 4 (!!) takeaways, 2 chinese and two chipper type.

there are a few barbers and hairdressers, a bookies, two butchers, few corner shops, a centra and a spar, a video store, few ladies clothes shops, couple of creches.
    the primary school is quite good, and the seondary school is excellent. i was educated there, they have excellent technical/engineering teachers.

its a nice wee place to live, not really much crime and nice people.

where are you thinking of living?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 deno120

Thanks for all the replys, its very helpful to get feedback. I know dunleer a long time as used to pass through it on my way to college in dundalk from dublin. It seems like a lovely little town but with loads of amenities.

We dont know where we will live but ideally close to the town but in a country setting, ideally would like to build so looking at that option first.

I have heard great things about the secondary school but what are the other options for secondary schools in the area. Its always nice to have a few options. Would you be talking about dundalk or drogheda then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

You'll have less hassle sending your kid to a local secondary school The school is small - when I was there the principal knew everyone by name (~400 odd students) The only drawback is they don't teach music or chemistry AFAIK
    If you send your child to drogheda or dundalk they will have to spend time travelling to and from cutting into study time and relaxing time. Local schools all the way and Scoil Ui Mhuiri is excellent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Swarty

hi,

Sorry i know this is an old post but im new and just want to know what the rivervale estate is like if anyone could tell me is the housing estate quiet big or small, and is it rough? also how far of a drive would it be from Rivervale to blanchardstown as im considering moving there, someone in an earlier thread said that the insulation and heating was quiet bad and you could hear everything your neigbours were saying through the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

I lived there for a year. The estate itself is alright, not rough at all. The only downside I can recall is the amount of dog mess everywhere! :mad: We left because of the poor noise insulation. We could hear everything from next door which drove us to distraction, and they weren't noisy neighbours by any means. Plenty of people say they like living there, so obviously doesn't bother everybody as much as it did us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hardmaneddie

Dunleer is like the wild west, Hicksville central. Unfriendly horrible biggotted locals Most new people dont stay. The main street is chocked with traffic all day every day Cars race around like dirt track rally race. There is a disused train station but NO train service yet theres a constant roar of trains rushing through the village sounding like an earth quake and the train blows a loud horn in the middle of the town In the pubs its like being in the Zoo county men with filthy cloths on or they are not keen on any 'outsiders' Lots of council houses with people who live their lives in them with no ambition to move Its like a horrible hellish wilderness caught up in a time warp it HORRENDOUS a hell hole I bought a house there 8 years ago and sold last year 2015 I lost money but celebrated getting out of this quick sand village to hell. Lots of young people died there in last few years Its the equivalent of Hell on earth Horrible unfriendly staff in the shops and bars Highway to Hell Dunleer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Dunleer is like the wild west, Hicksville central. Unfriendly horrible biggotted locals Most new people dont stay. The main street is chocked with traffic all day every day Cars race around like dirt track rally race. There is a disused train station but NO train service yet theres a constant roar of trains rushing through the village sounding like an earth quake and the train blows a loud horn in the middle of the town In the pubs its like being in the Zoo county men with filthy cloths on or they are not keen on any 'outsiders' Lots of council houses with people who live their lives in them with no ambition to move Its like a horrible hellish wilderness caught up in a time warp it HORRENDOUS a hell hole I bought a house there 8 years ago and sold last year 2015 I lost money but celebrated getting out of this quick sand village to hell. Lots of young people died there in last few years Its the equivalent of Hell on earth Horrible unfriendly staff in the shops and bars Highway to Hell Dunleer

Yeah good man Eddie, you sound like a pretty normal individual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Lived here all my life and you couldnt be any further from the truth, on all aspects of your account of the village. I have met and become friendly with a number of people who moved here and they would say the exact opposite to you utter garbage.
    Your Username suggest to me that maybe YOU are more used to the wild west or Hicksville than a quaint village like Dunleer. Glad to here you moved on, we can be doing without your kind around here, so good riddance Dunleer will be an even better place now you have left......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Dunleer is a great little village, i just live on the outskirts in Monasterboice. SoftmanEddie is so far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Geez stop sitting on the fence and tell us how you really feel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Sounds like hardmaneddie loves Dunleer and don't want any outsiders coming and ruining it. :D

Advertisement