Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 17-08-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I would gladly loose a customer like that.

The customer was too mean to pay a measly 22 cent for a bag and demanded a paper one, then after leaving the shop had to come all the way back in to cause a scene. Asked for the manager to try and get the poor girl in trouble for only doing what she was told, and yet the customer couldnt just let it drop had to come back again later.

Why the customer needed a bag i dont understand if it was to keep the purchase a secret then making a big scene to get a refund was the last thing the customer should have done. Could the customer not just have put said napkins in their pocket and gone home with out acting like a spoilt 2 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If it only a few cent and a "measly" bag, why didnt "the customer" buy a bag?

The girl should have refused to refund the purchase, especially if "the customer" wasnt coming back again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

The painters were in. Bad form though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Hooray for Supervalu:D:D:D. Hopefully that customer has learned their lesson and won't act the knack in future.

P.S. The plastic bags aren't "sold". The Till Assistant merely collects the government levy on their behalf. Asking the girl to to break the law just to save themselves 22 cent was an unbelieveably low act. And then this customer comes back and makes a big scene! I'd say the manager was only delighted to lose such a "customer". People like that should do their shopping in a landfill.

I hope you told this customer where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

"the customer" got a refund that they were not entitled to as the product was not faulty. "the customer" complained that the girl was required to legally charge 22 cent for the bag as it's a tax and not a price. "the customer" complained about not getting a paper bag that the store is not legally obliged to give. "the customer" can go and take a long walk off a short pier. "the customer" will find very few people sympathising with them.......... "The Shop" is better off without "the customer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 stevenmac06

What is wrong with people? I had someone complain to me that it was a disgrace that we didn't provide paper handled bags because they had " a moral objection " to the plastic bag levy!! It's not like retailers decided to bring in the plastic bag levy.... Just petition your local TD and leave retailers out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

What is wrong with people? I had someone complain to me that it was a disgrace that we didn't provide paper handled bags because they had " a moral objection " to the plastic bag levy!! It's not like retailers decided to bring in the plastic bag levy.... Just petition your local TD and leave retailers out of it

I wouldnt say it's "a disgrace" but it does seem strange that they dont produce paper bags. A few advantages:
    1. Advertising on bags
    2. Makes them seem "environmental"
    3. Consumer Friendly

Anyway, its a side issue from the OP. And on that point, it is amazing what some people complain about....!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stevenmac06

Just for the record
    Handled paper bags cost roughly 25c a piece
    The same in plastic bags cost less than a cent
    Then when your talking about huge volumes every day, it makes people think whether they really want a bag or just take one because it's free. It's because of people like that we got the plastic bag levy in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OP was "the customer" you? in that case Supervalu are probably delighted to never have to deal with you again, customers need to cop on when it comes to being cheapskates

Just for the record
    Handled paper bags cost roughly 25c a piece
    The same in plastic bags cost less than a cent
    Then when your talking about huge volumes every day, it makes people think whether they really want a bag or just take one because it's free. It's because of people like that we got the plastic bag levy in the first place.

25c.....! Holy shi-ite. But if they are that proce, fair enough, but it seems ludicrous that paper bags, in bulk, could cost anything near that price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't think the manager is going to lose sleep over it.

The painters were in. Bad form though

Ha ha good spot !! might explain the reaction so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What the hell?

The customer- you mean you. How stupid do you think we are?

You don't have to have a bag for one pack of sanitary towels.

If you want a bag there is a mandatory tax that has nothing to do with the shop. If you were polite and nice you probably would have gotten that paper bag. By throwing a tantrum not fit for a two year old child you did your case (which there is none by the way) nothing but harm. If it was me I wouldn't have even given you the refund as you are not entitled to it.

Do you think a shop wants to deal with people that run around making stupid demands and rants. You think a girl behind the counter on minimum wage has to take that sort of abuse for "the shop". Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

So wait a sec, does nobody else think that she should have just been given a wine bag for the simple reason of shutting her up and keeping her business? Don't they train SV staff how to handle difficult people?

That said, that customer sounded like a right bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sdonn wrote: »
    So wait a sec, does nobody else think that she should have just been given a wine bag for the simple reason of shutting her up and keeping her business?.

No, theres too much bending over backwards done to keep awkward annoying customers happy while the rest of us that go about our business without causeing a fuss or hassle to staff and customers get nothing. I'd rather they told her to take a hike and handed a bag to some random customer thats wanderign around the shop.

So wait a sec, does nobody else think that she should have just been given a wine bag for the simple reason of shutting her up and keeping her business? Don't they train SV staff how to handle difficult people?

True; it would have been very easy for the cash register chick to just give the wine bag and it was a bit silly to refuse to do so. But that doesnt absolve the "customer" (ie. the OP) who was acting like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Then you get others saying "She was given one so why aren't we?"

And yes, paper bags do actually cost money, especially if you want one strong enough to actually hold some shopping. Particularly groceries. The kind of bags given out in the likes of Dunnes for clothes aren't even suitable for groceries. Sometimes you see someone who bought clothes before groceries and they put the groceries in the paper bag, which has the a*se fall out of it in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Don't think SuperValu will be too bothered by losing "the customer" tbh. Did "the customer" shop in SuperValu for cheap prices or for convenience by any chance? Will "the customer" now shop in a different, higher priced or more out-of-way store, over a silly paper bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are there still people who don't keep shopping bags in their hand bag or the car?

Couldn't you just have put the ST packet in your hand bag?

Packet of Tampax is nearly double the price in the chemist compared to the super market.....lovely bag though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Why would you need a "special" bag for sanitary towels?

Seriously, if you're that fussed about walking around with a pack, do what the rest of us do and put them in your handbag.

• Advertisement

I reckon since she wouldnt give her the bag she must have been warned about it by her manager or something like that. Maybe she was just after getting a big long "i dont want to see you giving people paper bags" lecture from her boss. While its only a measly bag to the OP it may mean another ticking off for the shop assistent who may not want to keep getting in trouble as she is glad to still have a job.

Not that people like the OP think of things like that, the poor girl behind the counter must have been mortified having this one rant on about a bag and some sanitry towels. If the towels would fit in a wine bag it would just as easily have fitting into her pocket or handbag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

While I agree the customer has made a meal out of this, god help us all if there is a generation out there that has not got the wit to take a 'managerial decision' to give out a bloody wine bag.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

spurious wrote: »
    While I agree the customer has made a meal out of this, god help us all if there is a generation out there that has not got the wit to take a 'managerial decision' to give out a bloody wine bag.

I was thinking the same...then I thought...why wouldn't they? given the OP's reaction I'd tend to think "the customer" might have had a bit of an attitude, which rarely does anyone any favours...just speculation on my part of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I think the customer must have far too much time on their hands, to be returning to the shop TWICE to cause a scene over a measly paper bag.

I also don't see why the customer could not have put the sanitary towels in their handbag or just stuck them under her arm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

poor form by the OP removing their post and thread title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ahhh, I missed the 'customers' original post, sounded like a good one. Got the gist of it though from everyones reactions.

Cabaal wrote: »
    poor form by the OP removing their post and thread title

Not suprising though after the justified reaction, hopefully she learns a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

spurious wrote: »
    god help us all if there is a generation out there that has not got the wit to take a 'managerial decision' to give out a bloody wine bag.

It's all well and good saying that, until an actual manager comes along to chew out the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I hate this attitude of customers who are given what others arent because they're being awkward and kicking up a fuss about something that they're not entitled to, **** em, grow up and stop whinging about things as trivial as this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lets see
    Thread title was: Supervalu looses customer over few cents

I'll see if I can find a cache of the OP's post :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement