Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

snooker clubs left in dublin?

• 17-08-2009 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

alright lads need a little help.

The spawell snooker club has recently closed down which adds to the list of castle billards,jasons,potters,blacks,tlc,belgard that are already gone. question is what clubs are left?
    i know of tables in goodfellas rathmines still going as well as breaks in drumcondra crossguns in phibsboro and roadstone in tallaght(but memebrs club). anyone know of any more still around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

monkstown snooker club has about 12.doyles in dun laoghaire have 6 r 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Any idea why the spawell closed down? Just lack of business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

company that owned the complex went tits up apparently, nightclub got robbed recently so as a result closed down then they just decided to close the whole lot. the golf is all thats left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I was gutted when I heard The Spawell was closing, I will really miss it.

As major bill said, The Mansion nightclub was robbed (after hours) one night a few weeks ago for €20,000 (Details here).

Since then, CB Taverns (Owners of The Spawell) have been unable to pay any of the staff (with one months wages being owed) and closed down immediately. CB Taverns say they cannot afford to pay redundancy or holiday pay.

As it stands now, the staff who were let go have been protesting outside The Spawell for the past couple of days for a fair deal, see here.

And now the closure of the snooker club/pub/restaurant etc. is apparantly affecting the golf business, see here.

A very messy situation for everyone involved, you've really got to feel for the staff. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Sad to hear about Spawell (even though they hammered us in the league every time we played them last year!) I heard that the bar lost it's licence and that's why it closed, but I suspect that was just a rumour. Where will must of the players go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Gingy wrote: »
    Sad to hear about Spawell (even though they hammered us in the league every time we played them last year!) I heard that the bar lost it's licence and that's why it closed, but I suspect that was just a rumour. Where will must of the players go?

An unfounded rumour; Everything is as Celtic says above.
    Bar and night club was leased from the spawell owners, who held onto the very profitable golf business. This was the 3rd leaser of the bar since the Spawell owners began to lease it out and no-one managed to get the bar part revived

As a former staff member I feel terrible for everyone involved in this but unfortunately the staff in the bars saw this coming for the last few weeks though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Has anyone here tried Q's in Clondalkin? I've been outside it before but have been meaning to give it a go. I've heard there's a few muppets there from time to time but also that there's a good quite room in there too.

Any info would be great,especially now that The Spawell is no more and that most/all of the other Tallaght clubs are pretty much extinct at this stage, I need somewhere.

Welcome back Ger BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Havn't been in q's for a few years, last time it was noisy with games where recption and snooker and pool tables are ,but they might still have tables in the back room which was quieter.

the crowd who own it dont have much interest in looking after the tables properly ,cleaning or recovering them - on plus side they did have half price snooker in the day time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ballinteer House still has tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bigpad

celticfc wrote: »
    I was gutted when I heard The Spawell was closing, I will really miss it.(

That's terrible news; I heard today when I rang and was told it had closed. It was a great place and had a great manager (Richie McAuley). Once things pick up, surely someone will put the money in to make a go of it?

The snooker intervarsities (higher education championships) and student home internationals (on one occasion) have been held there for the last couple of years.

As organiser, I'll have to start thinking where we might go (Carlow, maybe). No sooner have you built up a relationship than the blooming place closes down!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Yeah really sad that the spawell is gone, we had some great matches in the leagues with them over the last number of years, Richie was a great guy, always made us welcome when we travelled over.We want to put a team in from Cross Guns this year into the leagues but is there any point if all the clubs are closing down, who are we going to play against?
    Was in the club last night talking to the owner and he remembers playing league snooker when there were 11 divisions in dublin with each division having at least 12 teams!! How things have changed, i asked him is he thinking of closing down? He was'nt having any of it, and i can understand why, i had to wait 25 mins for a table last night!!! He told us that Rileys are coming in soon to recover all the tables, just hope he does'nt put the prices up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

We're (Glenalbyn) are entering 2 teams. I'd assume Guinness, Ierne, the Classic, Roadstone and the Willows will all be entering teams as well, so you might as enter a team.

zack01 wrote: »
    Yeah really sad that the spawell is gone, we had some great matches in the leagues with them over the last number of years, Richie was a great guy, always made us welcome when we travelled over.We want to put a team in from Cross Guns this year into the leagues but is there any point if all the clubs are closing down, who are we going to play against?

know richie myself personally, he really put alot into the club. think they(spawell)were hoping to use roadstone as belgard went there after their closer but dont think they will be as welcome, had problems there meself trying to get a game and when you ask for a membership they tell you none will be giving out.

question jack- whats crossguns like? i know its over the otherside of the city for me but what day or time would be good to go over?

Hi Major Bill,
    CrossGuns is an old club, real old school,when the place is busy there is a great atmosphere,you will always get a table and if it's busy you are never waiting too long and you are looked after with tea or coffee on the house.
    Richie used to play leagues for them for years before he moved to the southside, the walls of the club are full of pictures of players past and present including Richie in his teens!!

Hi Major Bill,
    CrossGuns is an old club, real old school,when the place is busy there is a great atmosphere,you will always get a table and if it's busy you are never waiting too long and you are looked after with tea or coffee on the house.
    Richie used to play leagues for them for years before he moved to the southside, the walls of the club are full of pictures of players past and present including Richie in his teens!!

thanks! good stuff sounds like a good club prob pop over sometime in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dubfan88

Yeah i must say crossguns is by far and away the best on around these days its very welcoming and it really is a genuine snooker man's club! Its about time ive missed a regular game after school since the days of terry rodgers in Fairview!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

Three other clubs still around are the Racecourse in Baldoyle, Westbury in Malahide and Classic in Finglas. Classic were in the snooker league last year, and Racecourse will be playing in it again this year. Racecourse is a nice club but the tables don't get looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lads anyone know of snooker club around the Dublin 7 or 8 area?

Used play loads in Wales when went college there and was member of club love get back into playing it again.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 preamp

Theres still one in Monkstown, for how much longer I dont know, but its still there. The one in Dun Laoghaire is closed till further notice

played in Q's in clondalkin recently, its not bad tables alright worth a look for anybody still looking for a club to play in.

• Advertisement

I remember there was quite few around the place. Even back home in local town there was snooker club.

They seem to be getting less and less.

It seemes to be different in UK. When I lived there palces were hopping with business

Adrian 280582 CrossGuns Snooker is in Dublin 7, more info available on the website www.crossgunssnookerclub.com, hope that helps you. You're dead right though there are hardly any clubs around these days.

Adrian 280582 CrossGuns Snooker is in Dublin 7, more info available on the website www.crossgunssnookerclub.com, hope that helps you. You're dead right though there are hardly any clubs around these days.

Thanks for that will give it try soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tippdar

i played regular league snooker for the last 5 years every tuesday.

the best ones are the classic in finglas, and cross guns in phibsboro. I used to play reg in harmo, its gone now , breaks in drumcondra was nice until they decided to sell all the tables.

i see the piorot club , across from connolly station is back open, i havent been in there yet since it reopened so i dont know if there are any tables there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Such a shame that the Spawell closed down :(

It's a lovely club that's been going for a long time

I've been reduced to going to the Leisureplex for snooker :eek: Oh dear !

Will have to check out Crossguns

Yeah a big pity the spawell closed down, great bunch of lads there and Richie ran a great club. Never though it would close, any time we went there it was always busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

I see Crossguns opens at 2pm. Pity about that - would suit to get a couple of hours in a bit earlier.

But anyway, what is that place like in the afternoon? Does it get busy much before 5 or 6?

Thanks.

Busy most afternoons, but like i said before you are never waiting too long for a table, wednesday is normally the busiest afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Would yee consider traveling to Newbridge?, about 30min drive from the city in the evenings?
    The CYMS has a very good set up, 8 table, 4 of which are up up Champ Standard, steel back cushions, heaters, etc., €5-6 an hour, good friendly club, €30 yearly membership, get your own key to come and go as you please, few in house tournaments every year, also some of the members play in RIBSA tournaments, and represent Ireland in competition.
    The club is also the venue for a couple of RIBSA intermediate tournaments and juniors this year too.
    Tea and Coffee facilities, sky digi, also 3 championship 8 ball pool tables, and some of the pool players also compete nationally, and possibly internationally, dont pay too much attention to the pool;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stanstedhouse

As a a lover of this brilliant skilful game I am despondent about it's decline. The sad fact is that snooker clubs are no longer a viable business but I think there may be a solution. It is the forming of co-operatives by interested parties who have a genuine love of the game. In the past 30 years we had 3 Irish world champions. Where are the future championship to come from if there are no facilities. Please contact me if your are interested.

sent a pm to you stansted

Advertisement