Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Irishrail fare?

• 17-08-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I need to commute to college in Dublin city centre (Im a student) 2, or possibly 3 days per week from Maynooth.

Irish rail offer a 5 day Scholar pass at 14.50 euro.

As I do not need 5 days, does anyone know of any cheaper options to get me in 2 or possibly 3 days per week?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Could you buy a travel 90 pass and travel on Dublin Bus? It costs 19e and it gives you ten journeys for it... non consecutive so you can use it anytime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Hi guys.

I need to commute to college in Dublin city centre (Im a student) 2, or possibly 3 days per week from Maynooth.

Irish rail offer a 5 day Scholar pass at 14.50 euro.

As I do not need 5 days, does anyone know of any cheaper options to get me in 2 or possibly 3 days per week?

Thanks.

Are you sure you can get that fare. Dublin area has schoolchild fares (secondry school) and student fares. Just be wary that it mightn't be as good as it seems.

Bus is probably better option, because AFAIK irish rail don't sell any non-consecutive season tickets like you would need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp
    There is a three day rolling rail fair for 16 eur Maynooth to Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Could you buy a travel 90 pass and travel on Dublin Bus? It costs 19e and it gives you ten journeys for it... non consecutive so you can use it anytime...

The Travel 90 10 Journey smartcard actually only costs EUR 18, so that is EUR 1.80 per trip. You can take as many buses within 90 minutes of boarding the first, and only use 1 trip.

The card's valid for between 12 and 18 months, so you can use it as you wish.

Alternatively, the Dublin Bus Rambler tickets are good value, with the 30 Day Smartcard costing EUR 100, again offering 30 individual non-consecutive days' travel over an 18 month period - that works out at EUR 3.33 per day.

There are also 3 and 5 day smartcards available at EUR 13.30 and EUR 20 each (EUR 4.43 per day or EUR 4 per day).

They are all valid on the Xpresso routes as well (66X and 67X).

Irish Rail have more limited options unfortunately, but this may change as their own smartcards are rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fooddestroyer

T Corolla wrote: »
    http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp
    There is a three day rolling rail fair for 16 eur Maynooth to Connolly

Thanks.

But what exactly does "three day rolling" actually mean?

• Advertisement

Sounds better, thanks.

KC61 wrote: »
    The Travel 90 10 Journey smartcard actually only costs EUR 18, so that is EUR 1.80 per trip. You can take as many buses within 90 minutes of boarding the first, and only use 1 trip.

The card's valid for between 12 and 18 months, so you can use it as you wish.

Alternatively, the Dublin Bus Rambler tickets are good value, with the 30 Day Smartcard costing EUR 100, again offering 30 individual non-consecutive days' travel over an 18 month period - that works out at EUR 3.33 per day.

There are also 3 and 5 day smartcards available at EUR 13.30 and EUR 20 each (EUR 4.43 per day or EUR 4 per day).

They are all valid on the Xpresso routes as well (66X and 67X).

Irish Rail have more limited options unfortunately, but this may change as their own smartcards are rolled out.

Thanks - WOW! what a reply.

Well, I'd consider the bus from a financial point of view, but from a comfort point of view, the train may guarantee a more comfortable journey starting from Maynooth, as opposed to the crammed buses?

Any thoughts - anyone?

PS. Love the idea of a smartcard for train. Do you think the smartcard will have dual, or maybe triple usage for Bus and Luas also?

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But what exactly does "three day rolling" actually mean?
    Three consecutive days, not three individual days.

To put it in context, the "Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail" can start on any day of the week, but I think all "Adult Weekly Rail" run Monday-Sunday.

Victor wrote: »
    Three consecutive days, not three individual days.

To put it in context, the "Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail" can start on any day of the week, but I think all "Adult Weekly Rail" run Monday-Sunday.

Thanks Victor.

Seems the "Travel 90" on the bus, "Scholar pass" on the train, or even the new versatile smartcard will be best.

AFAIK "Scholar pass" is for children in secondary school, not colege students. You need to check that you qualify.

• Advertisement

AFAIK "Scholar pass" is for children in secondary school, not colege students. You need to check that you qualify.

Correct - the only option for college students are the "Student Tickets" that are available with the Student Travelcard.

The bus might be slower, but it is certainly cheaper!

Thanks - WOW! what a reply.

Well, I'd consider the bus from a financial point of view, but from a comfort point of view, the train may guarantee a more comfortable journey starting from Maynooth, as opposed to the crammed buses?

Any thoughts - anyone?

PS. Love the idea of a smartcard for train. Do you think the smartcard will have dual, or maybe triple usage for Bus and Luas also?

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

N

The rail smartcards are only going to be rolled out later this year.

Initially they will only be rail only period passes (monthly/annual), but may be extended at a later date. Whether they will be non-consecutive tickets I don't know.

As for integration with bus/luas? Anyone's guess as to when that will happen! Although there are monthly and annual rail/bus, rail/luas and rail/bus/luas tickets already available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Me thinks you need to spend more time in College, 2 days a week sounds like a holiday :D

Its 6 euro return, monthly ticket be 73.50, so 13 or more trips to make the student ticket pay

First smartcard will be a pay as you go ticket like the Luas ;)

You're right Victor, the scholar thing is for schools kids. DAMN.

Looks like the 3 day rolling thingy is going to be best. Do I just get student discount when I book this or is there separate fares for students that I am not seeing on the irish rail website?

Me thinks you need to spend more time in College, 2 days a week sounds like a holiday :D

Its 6 euro return, monthly ticket be 73.50, so 13 or more trips to make the student ticket pay

:D me too!

Do I just get student discount when I book this or is there separate fares for students that I am not seeing on the irish rail website?

First smartcard is not pay as you go.

It is the monthly/annual rail only tickets.

The rail smartcards are only going to be rolled out later this year.

Initially they will only be rail only period passes (monthly/annual), but may be extended at a later date. Whether they will be non-consecutive tickets I don't know.

As for integration with bus/luas? Anyone's guess as to when that will happen! Although there are monthly and annual rail/bus, rail/luas and rail/bus/luas tickets already available.
    Irish Rail staff already have smart cards. The next one will be an electronic purse like the Luas one and then the monthly / annual. I've had an Irish Rail smart card in my hand.

Multi-operator smart cards are unlikely before the end of 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

First smartcard is not pay as you go.

It is the monthly/annual rail only tickets.

The Dublin bus/Rail tickets are contactless smartcards too. Only they don't work contactless in train stations.....

Hi Guys,

Sorry for dragging this out, but I have two other related questions to my original post:

1. Did I mention that I am a student with a new Studenttravelcard? Does this get me discount at purchase or how does this work?

2. When we asked the attendant at Maynooth station, he told us to get a family ticket or family pass? As I cannot find any information on it on the Irish rail website, I was wondering if anyone know anything about this option?

Thanks again.

1. Did I mention that I am a student with a new Studenttravelcard? Does this get me discount at purchase or how does this work?
    This is a requirement if you want to buy a student ticket.
    2. When we asked the attendant at Maynooth station, he told us to get a family ticket or family pass?
    How many people are travelling?

• Advertisement

This is a requirement if you want to buy a student ticket.

How many people are travelling?

2 people

Advertisement