Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying House in Sligo-any thoughts?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi! considering risking a further price-slide and buying a house in Sligo (town or county) any thoughts on areas in or out of town worth a look, areas to avoid, experiences re final sell price vs asking price with the auctioneers, etc?

Any feeback greatly appreciated, thanks,

(PS if you're an auctioneer, please own up!! :D)

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Hi,

We just completed a house purchase in Rusheen Ard - like yourself didn't want to wait any longer (prices didn't seem to slip any further) We love the area beautifully finished estate with shop and hairdressers nearby, fifteen mins walk from town two mins in car.

We dealt with OBG http://www.obg.ie on riverside sorted everything out and was little problems - the moving was the most stressful bit as we we're coming from Dublin back home. The kids love the new house and mc inherneys (builders) did a great finish.

Best of luck with the search - it does seem to be a buyers market out there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I remember seeing a report by the guys at daft that showed house prices around the country dropped a few percent in a couple of months (or something like that). The only place that didn't show a drop was sligo where house prices were actually up 4%. So it might not be a risky investment after all. I still wouldn't do it though. Best of luck with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Be wary of Sligo professionals - solicitors, surveyors etc.

A relative bought a house in Sligo Town; turned out that the garden and the house were registered as two separate plots. None of the three firms of solicitors involved in the transaction picked up on this discrepancy.
    They got it sorted eventually but only after a lot of aggravation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've heard houses in Coolaney have dropped by about 60k since last year in some of the developments there (from disgruntled work colleagues who bought there last year). 3 bed semi from around €150,000 brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

Grrrrrrrrrrr:mad: I'm one of those that bought in Coolaney for 205.000 and now there selling for 140,000

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good Luck by the way:) happy house hunting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pete2009

I guess the only advice I can offer is buy a house that you/your family will be happy to live in. ie: in the event that you have to stay there for a good few years.

its a buyers market, but property always comes back up again, given time.

I had to cut my post so continuing:

Yeah, try and buy a house for the right reasons. Dont buy to make a financial paper profit gain. Many people did. Those days are long gone, and were ill advised anyway. That means nothing anyway.

"Buy" because its somewhere where you would be happy living in.

A lot of folk were urged/pressurised into buying houses in the boom. The feeling of being left high and dry with the tide going out: Urgency Alert!!..."Gotta get on the property ladder, gotta get on the property ladder" etc...

Purchases which many may now regret. Living in a house which you resent is not good for the soul, your peace of mind/mental health...

My philosophy is if you are happy with your house (forget about value, dont be vexed by that if your property has taken a nose dive), and are happy to live there and if you are lucky enough to be able to continue to pay the mortgage in hard times...happy days.

But sure, its a good time to buy...but try and make a good lifestyle choice..ie: do you plan to get married/have kids in the next few years...could your house/flat accomodate those changes. etc..

Also check who built the house.. a lot of new builds were thrown up, using the cheapest of materials and dodgy craftsmen...they will be falling down in a decade or so. More heartache...dont be fooled by exterior appearances..

Oh and my last wee point from experience,...if you can, just push yourself financially, within reason, to buy that property that will be extra special for you and yours..and if you end up getting a bargain, well happy days.

Good luck...health is wealth...

If you are going to buy on an estate, make sure you are happy to live on that estate for a good while/indefinite while...house on estates in a buyers markets are a very, very hard sell...especially large estates where you are competing with others selling on the estate......oh..one last thing, well 3 things.......

LOCATION, LOCATION LOCATION

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

My old housemate is in the process of buying in Coolaney - prices there are very impressive. Just make sure you can get fastcom as eircom haven't arrived yet.

South Sligo prices are really good too - we bought near Tubber last year. They seem to be dropping much faster than the Grange side of the town.

If you don't mind an extra few minutes drive it might be worth looking in County leitrim - there are some incredible bargains near Carrick on Shannon and Mohill.

Whereever you buy, do the drive from there to work a few times beforehand to be sure you'd be happy with the distance.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

PFL wrote: »
    Hi,

We just completed a house purchase in Rusheen Ard - like yourself didn't want to wait any longer (prices didn't seem to slip any further) We love the area beautifully finished estate with shop and hairdressers nearby, fifteen mins walk from town two mins in car.

We dealt with OBG http://www.obg.ie on riverside sorted everything out and was little problems - the moving was the most stressful bit as we we're coming from Dublin back home. The kids love the new house and mc inherneys (builders) did a great finish.

Best of luck with the search - it does seem to be a buyers market out there.

I lived in Rusheen Ard for just over a year. Nice houses if you dont mind being able to hear everything your neighbour is doing! Good finish on these houses and they really are warm, its just a shame that they didn't put in much sound insulation while they were at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

If possible i would buy a house outside an estate.i bought a house in an estate a few years ago and even though most of our neighbours are nice there is always a few houses that seem the get rented by groups of lunatics every now and again.the biggest problem is that if you buy in a estate you have no control over who moves in beside you ,where as if you could pick up a nice bunglow on its own piece of land you have more peace and room to expand in a few years if you want.in a estate a convicted drug dealer can move in next door where as on you own land you could (given the right reason) object to some buliding a house 2 miles away.

Advertisement