Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel sick when going to work

Options
  • 17-08-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey
    I'm not sure if this problem has been put up in the past but I recently started a new job a month and a half ago, previous to that I was out of work for 3 months. It's dealing with people on the phones everyday, non-stop and I just detest it. I know it usually takes time to settle into a new job as I've been there before but I've never experienced anything like this before, where I feel sick the evening before work, thinking about it. I am so stressed I'm not sleeping very well either. I am grateful to have a job but is it worth making myself sick over. I know what the current market is like and am currently looking for something new...but with no luck, I know everyone is looking right now. I guess I'm just looking for some opinions which might help me get through this. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pink27

Oh believe Me, I have been there 2 jobs ive had i felt like that. 1 being the job Im still in LOL! like you im dealing with cranky customers and phones all day long and was and still am the exact same as you, couldnt stomach it. Its mentally draining and sole destroying and it takes a certain type to cope with these customers.
    After being in the job for one year of hell i decided to try and do summit about it but am still afraid to take the jump.Things have gotten a little more bearable with time because I feel ive gotten stronger so there is hope but that hasnt stopped me looking for new job which is quite hard at the mo. dont listen to anyone telling you to stay in the job because of the economy. work your hardest to find another or if you feel you will settle in, give yourself a little more time. What part of it do you feel most sick about? Hope my story helped a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Beth1978

Hey pink, thanks so much for your honest and supportive message. The part I hate about the job is speaking to people non-stop for the whole day and being tied to the phone. I knew what was involved in the job before taking it, I just didn't realise that I would hate it so much. I don't mean to sound ungrateful to be working, that's the last thing I mean...but I think I have to get out for my health...but I have to find a new job first. Your story really did help, and its nice to know I'm not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pink27

Completely agree about the health thing. Mental health comes before anything I think and dealing with the public in any job is draining mentally and physically. I completely understand. Your not ungrateful. Im exact same. Looking for jobs as we speak, for the last two years! just really hard. Im too glad im not alone. Really felt alone and at one stage thought i was going round the bend, my head was so wrecked. I think all we can do it keep trying as best we can and chin up. Try and switch off on your days off, otherwise your mental health will def suffer. hope something works out for you.:) keep me updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're feeling that sick over it, you really should consult your doctor. S/he is best placed to advise on things you could do, and (if it's that bad) can assist with certificates etc that will get you JA/JB without the usual stand-down if you leave voluntarily.

(seems to me this thread is bordering on medical advice ...)

Advertisement