Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving things to London

Options
  • 17-08-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!:)

Myself and my boyfriend are planning on moving to London in late October and have been trying to figure out the best way to get our things over.

We don’t have any furniture as such it would be mainly a large TV, a dog house, printer, bedding, kitchen bits and pieces and other general bits and pieces. (I do intend to do a massive clear out before we go but we will still have a considerable amount that wouldn’t really fit in suitcases for a flight!)

I have done some checking out already but can’t get what I want. Ideally we wanted to rent a van drive it all over including the dog and drop the van off the other side but this doesn’t seem to be an option because we were quoted 1300 just to drop off at another location not to mind the rental itself!!

We are open to suggestions and I tried one of those ‘Man and van’ and I was quoted 1500. This type of prices are way too much!!!:(

We both have cars but are hoping to sell them (or donate them to family members if we cant sell them). Would it be easier to keep one of the cars for a while and do a couple of trips over and back???:confused:

Anyone done this before?? How did you do it? Anyone know any rental company in Ireland that will let you take a van out of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Did you ever find anything for much under 1500? I'm in the same position myself but without a car.Hoping I can get the company to pay, but might need a plan B there...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could look into getting a van hire in Wales, ferry back to Ireland and get the stuff. Ferry back to UK with the stuff and drop the van in London.
    Check with various companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

Yes!! I found a much better option actually!! http://djhanleys.ie/ I rang these guys and they gave me a quote of door to door, limerick to clapham (SW london) €280. That was for a six foot mirror, 42' tv, printer, and three boxes!! which was really good compared to the previous quotes!! plus no hassle of getting the ferry!

They will want to know exactly what you are moving but I will def be using them anyway, they were by far the best I've found and i spent a long time looking!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Thanks! Sounds like you got a real bargain there :)

Advertisement