Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converse at a debs? am i crazy!!??

• 17-08-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

i'm going to a debs in a few days and i really don't want to wear heels coz i just cant walk in them so i was thinking of wearing a pair of converse to match my dress! when i told my mates they weren't too impressed so i was just wondering what other people thought...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Wear whatever you want, it's your debs. I personally hate the look of converse but if you feel comfy in them what's the problem? The heels usually come off feet halfway through the night anyway. (Girl in my class ended up with glass in her foot!! :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

yeah i can just imagine doing the same thing...i was trying to decide between converse and a pair of flats. the dress is quite long (past the knee) and i dont want to look frumpy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

wear the converse!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I'm a guy, I'm wearing a red tie and my date is wearing a red dress, she is trying to convince me to wear some red cons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I spent most of my debs wanting to murder my shoes and wishing i'd brought my converse! Wear them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kathycork

I think it'll be very cute like Kristen Stewart does it, but I'm not sure if your dress is long, I think that look only works with minidresses. But if you wear them with confidence then that's all that matters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

i wore converse to a debs! no one said anything bad! who cares what anyone else thinks anyhow as long as your happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

It doesn't matter what your friends or anyone else thinks! You wanna have a good night and you won't have that if you are shuffling around in shoes you can't walk in all night! I can safely say I only spent about half an hour in shoes at both of the debs I went to, then they were kicked under the table and I spent the night in my bare feet!

So go for it :) Or if it really matters to you what people think, wear heels and stick a pair of flats in your bag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Wear the heels for the initial entrance, bring the flats in your bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

You could get converse heels [: HUZZAH!

Go with whatever is you, there's no point pretending to be someone that you're not.
    On the not being able to walk front, try heels that have a big base, not stillettttoos. That's my problem and Irregular Choice have amazing shoes like that, just incase you cave into the pressure;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 g1rl

Wear heels for the pictures, then cons for the night.
    Win-win situation, Pretty for pictures and comfy for the night!
    You'll have much more fun being able to dance too..
    My feet were covered in plasters about an hour into my debs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭wattsusieq

Go for it, you wouldnt be the first to do it. Ive seen a girl wearing a pink dress over jeans and pink converse to her debs!! and it looked really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm a guy, I'm wearing a red tie and my date is wearing a red dress, she is trying to convince me to wear some red cons.

Wear red jocks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

It depends on the cut of the dress. Converse with a prom dress could look a lil bit Avril Lavigne wanna be. But its your debs, wear whatever the hell ya want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

Definately go for it!!! Did u see Kristen Stewart at the MTV Movie Awards!! :D

Seriously its time for the debs to get a bit of style rather than every girl tangoed with poodle hair and wearing bridesmaids dresses

GSpoon wrote: »

that's what i was thinking!! i'm just wondering what colour to go for-i have pink, red and black ones or do you think i should match them to my dress (its kinda mint green with silver)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

FredBaby! wrote: »

that's what i was thinking!! i'm just wondering what colour to go for-i have pink, red and black ones or do you think i should match them to my dress (its kinda mint green with silver)

suppose match your dress maybe get the white/cream converse.:D...

Id try and match the dress too, Throw on a pair of ripped skinny jeans too!!!

wattsusieq wrote: »

Id try and match the dress too, Throw on a pair of ripped skinny jeans too!!!

hehe yeah im going to try and shake it up as much as possible, i have a feeling this debs is going to be culchie-tastic-shiny dresses and curls all the way im afraid! :(

wattsusieq wrote: »

hehe yeah im going to try and shake it up as much as possible, i have a feeling this debs is going to be culchie-tastic-shiny dresses and curls all the way im afraid! :(

Defo shake it up!! Id say you would look cool with a pair of ripped jeans and cons!! try put up a pic of the end outfit!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

what about these? I got mine in Office and wear them all the time :)

ConverseCTSequinOxSilver_Front_300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

im gonna go against the general response & say dont do it.

theres plenty of flat pumps you can get that are dressy & pretty, i personally think converse would totally ruin the look completely. whats the point of dressing up in a pretty dress if youre going to put on converse?

if youre honestly saying its just for comfort then go with flat pumps or as Pythia said wear heels with flats in your bag.

if youre doing it to be "cool" and make a point, then fair enough..

Seriously its time for the debs to get a bit of style rather than every girl tangoed with poodle hair and wearing bridesmaids dresses

just cause some movie star does it at the mtv awards doesnt make it stylish tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Go for it, OP! Those silver sequin ones are really cool! I know they have been done to death at this stage (and anyway debs balls are hardly high fashion!!) but some silver gladiator sandals might also look good depending on your dress style! Debs are totally ridiculous anyway with everyone in neon dresses and those dreadful silver sandals,it's about time somebody shook things up a bit! My Debs is on Thursday and I'm dreading it! (I'm a bit of a Debs cynic as you can see!!:o)

Whatever you do though, don't succomb to the temptation to go barefoot as the night goes on, I did this at my ex's debs a few years ago and got glass in my foot!:( So this time my shoes will be remaining on my feet no matter how much the pain intensifies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

my bf did that for my debs.. he rocked it! lol. cons make tuxs look decent on debs-age fellas.. otherwise they just look like boys in daddys suits for the most part! funk it up a lil :)

as for cons with a dress, its all a bit lily allen for my taste, but sure whatever makes ya comfy-its your night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sarah Silverman looks cool in them. She's fab!
    sarah-silverman-converse.jpg

I agree with the silver sequin ones. Penneys had them for 6e or 8e for a hi top. Have fun! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

bella_prom_dress_pm.jpg

i really liked the look of cons with a prom dress in Twilight!!go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

God I hate Sarah Silverman. The most unfunny female going.

As I said, the whole thing could look like youre trying to be a bit punk-princess-esque. It depends what your normal style is really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Uh sorry, wouldn't do it at all, think it's trying way to hard or something. Then again I absolutely hate the look of converse with dresses.

If you want comfortable shoes get a nice pair of flat pumps or sandals, for the love of god not converse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I wore a pair of New Rocks to my Debs a few years ago, and was comfy the entire night when others couldn't walk! Its your Debs, wear what you are comfortable in, you'll have a better night!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

idunno78 wrote: »
    i wore converse to a debs! no one said anything bad! who cares what anyone else thinks anyhow as long as your drunk!

FYP

OP Vanns FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I thought there was a dress code at stuff like a debs, hmmm...

I'm gonna have to say don't do it, it's very childish looking and try-hard.

For comfort, why not a nice pair of flat pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

oooh no dont do it !!!
    yeah it would stand out from the crowd etc but you can stand out from the crowd in other ways ! go for a classy look with no orange spray tan, shiney dress or super hairsprayed curls !!!
    I would wear heels( even kitten heels) for the entrance and have a nice pair of flat sandals in my bag for later !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

How about flip flops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You will seriously look your age (young) if you do this. The debs should be the one night people try and raise the bar above what they normally wear? Whats wrong with acting glamorous and sophisticated?

Bring flats for later on in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭milktwosugars

Bull****, if you have the balls to do it, I say go for it!!!

My con's are all too filthy to even try. Maybe, if you can afford it, get a pair of pretty con's...Just so it won't be too...hmmm...."Look at me rebelling" which I know you're not trying to do, but that seems to be what you're worrying about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know really. I think you should go with a pair of flats. Lets be honest, wearing converse WILL look like you're to be rebelling and all that. You might feel awkward on the day when everyone else is wearing heels/flats. But it is your choice!

And this is coming from someone that lives in converse. I always wear converse with dresses, just not with prom type dresses. Always think they look a bit twatish together.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Hmm, I think I'd have to say don't do it. My own style would be kind of quirky so I do understand you wanting to be individual and do your own thing, but I agree that this could make you look quite try hard. It could easily come off as poser-y, whereas a nice pair of flats would give you all the comfort withough looking like you were trying to prove something.

Having said that, it's your debs, so you should do whatever you're comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

a girl wore them to my debs, nobody really cared, but u sud get a pair of heels for the mass part ,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ There is a mass part? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Wear kitten heels!
    Bring ur cons in ur bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

a girl wore them to my debs, nobody really cared, but u sud get a pair of heels for the mass part ,.

Thats the graduation??

This is debs talk! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Is it just me who thinks it very much depends on the style of the dress??

I'm all for wearing what you're comfy in, and setting your own trend and all that.... It'd be interesting to see it all together.

ok i tried on the cons with the dress and tbh i look like i'm trying to be Lily Allen (i swear to god i look like her enough as it is!) and my dress is a lil bit too long, so i decided to go with a pair of flats! got them in penneys for nine yoyo's!!! Bargainous wha'?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sounds good to me! And you'll look pretty throughout the whole night, unlike those that couldn't hack the heals and are dancing in slipper socks by half one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

No don't do it...I love Converse but I think if you wear them to your debs you'll look back and regret it...if you don't want to wear heels wear pumps

• Don't do it, it looks so try hard and silly. It's not like it's even original, you'll look like you're trying to be Lily Allen. I don't think it would have even been allowed at my debs.

You can avoid wearing heels and still look dressed up and classy in ballet pumps or even cute flip flops (the more dressy ones). When I go to these things I always wear heels in and change to flip flops or pumps if they start to hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lo2009

you should wear the converse, and in my opinion not only for comfort but also looks wise, i think they'd look better than heals anyway, I wore doc martens to my debs, got a few funny looks but I didn't care;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

clicli wrote: »
    I wore a pair of New Rocks to my Debs

haha! are you ****ing serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

If you don't want to wear heels then just wear flats. I don't see why you would wear a pair of runners with a formal dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 brenda09

Go for it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement