Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready Made Sauces?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as ready made pepper sauce for steak and parsley sauce for fish? As in they come in a bottle and you just pour what you want into a cup and heat it up? I know the shops are full of the powdered kind but I cant be arsed making that up, plus they expect you to make a pint at a time or something and I only want a tiny amount.

Anyone ever seen anything like that anywhere or no if I can order it online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as ready made pepper sauce for steak and parsley sauce for fish? As in they come in a bottle and you just pour what you want into a cup and heat it up? I know the shops are full of the powdered kind but I cant be arsed making that up, plus they expect you to make a pint at a time or something and I only want a tiny amount.

Anyone ever seen anything like that anywhere or no if I can order it online?

Butter, flour, milk and pepper for one, leave out the pepper and add parsley for the other, how tough can that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I think Knorr do a microwavable parsley sauce (though I've only ever boight the curry one once to try), I don't know about pepper sauce though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Butter, flour, milk and pepper for one, leave out the pepper and add parsley for the other, how tough can that be?
    I knew someone was going to say something like that, its not the same. I guarantee you if I mix butter, flour, milk and pepper together and heat it up it'll taste like I just poured som warm slop on my dinner, I want the proper pepper sause taste and theres no way those 4 ingredients will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Just make up a sauce, either from scratch or a packet, and freeze it in an ice-cube tray. Next time you want sauce, pop out a couple of cubes and heat them up.

OMG Magic Monkey you genius. Thats the perfect solution, thanks man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Try this one guys, Bang Bang .It is an Irish made one. Mostly for the stir fry but great with beef.mmnnnnnn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dj m

marks and spencers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I dont know who makes it but i'll find out - but you can get ready made pepper sauce, just heat it up. It doesnt come in bottle - it comes in a tube so maybe that'd be too much if you only want a small amount, but you could do as another poster has said and freeze them as ice cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

One I like to do for myself if I'm having a low-calorie dinner:

Dry fry two Denny hickory rashers over a low heat with the rinds cut off. When nearly cooked - add in garlic and cook for about 2 mins. Then add in one tin of tomatoes, some tomato puree and some veg - I usually put in peppers & courgettes. Cook until veg is soft and the sauce has reduced a bit. You can add in some fresh basil at the end & season it before serving. I sometimes add in smoked paprika, and if I'm craving for some creaminess - some fat free fromage frais.

It takes the same amount of time as your pasta will need to cook. So it's all about 15 mins beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just make up a sauce, either from scratch or a packet, and freeze it in an ice-cube tray. Next time you want sauce, pop out a couple of cubes and heat them up.
    Yes, you can use those icecube bags too, this way strong flavoured sauces will not taint the plastic tray. Also means it is better for long term storage as the "sauce-cubes" stay wrapped up so do not get that frost growing on them. I do it with yogurt, also is good for smoothies, rather than adding ice and diluting them, I also use it for tandoori.
    dlambirl wrote: »
    I dont know who makes it but i'll find out - but you can get ready made pepper sauce, just heat it up. It doesnt come in bottle - it comes in a tube
    I have seen pepper sauce in bottles, it would be near the ketchup & mayo, supermarkets have millions of sauces these days. Tubes would be good since they are less exposed to air so last longer, I get tomato puree in tubes (cheaper too) and keep it in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I'm not sure if it's lidl or aldi but you can buy pepper sauce in a small tetra-pak carton like milk

Excellent, Ill have a look for that, never thought of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

f1dan wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's lidl or aldi but you can buy pepper sauce in a small tetra-pak carton like milk
    Pretty sure it's Lidl .. they have other sauces like bechamel and hollandaise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Whatever you do don't go nar the knorr packet/pouch of pepper sauce i found it very watery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Try your butcher - mine always has pouches of pre-made pepper sauce. No idea what it's like though, I prefer to make my own.

Advertisement