Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaimen

Options
  • 17-08-2009 9:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a book similiar to neil gaimens neverwhere and american gods?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

a quick google search came up with this being asked on yahoo answers,some replies to it but tbh iv never read those books suggested so guess just try em out http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090811040533AAXO6mF

Cant personally think of anything like american gods or neverwhere but have you read the sandman comics by neil gaiman? They're very good and a lot like american gods in the sense that they deal with gods and how they interact with humans and their lifes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 garylarson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens

This is a book he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett.

I liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lo2009

you should read "Stardust", so so good, and much better and different from the movie;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

lo2009 wrote: »
    you should read "Stardust", so so good, and much better and different from the movie;)
    I was just going to ask if anyone had read it and whether it is any good. I love love loved the movie so am really not sure whether the book can compare! My brother read it and as far as I can remember he didn't think it as good as the movie. I have it waiting to be read however as soon as I'm finished my current book and am looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lo2009

cool:)i think the book is better than the movie, the only part that disapointed me in the book was how the captain of the sky ship isn't the same as the character robert de niro plays when he pretends to be tough but he's really camp, otherwise the book is WAY better than the movie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

lo2009 wrote: »
    cool:)i think the book is better than the movie, the only part that disapointed me in the book was how the captain of the sky ship isn't the same as the character robert de niro plays when he pretends to be tough but he's really camp, otherwise the book is WAY better than the movie:)
    I was disappointed with Stardust the book - found the movie to be far better in fact. It was okay, but I confess to having found it a little boring at times and just kept reading to be done with it. Doesn't compare to Neverwhere which is a far better and much more interesting novel IMO.

Stardust the movie, on the other hand, is one of my favourites :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I thought Stardust was vastly superior to the movie. Anansi Boys is also a really good read.
    American Gods is pretty unique though, you won't find too many similar books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

As much as I love the movie, Stardust (I even own the DVD), it's nowhere near as good as the book. The movie only scratches the surface of the book as there are other subplots and stories that the movie leaves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Shryke wrote: »
    I thought Stardust was vastly superior to the movie. Anansi Boys is also a really good read.
    American Gods is pretty unique though, you won't find too many similar books.

Anansi boys is a sequel (of sorts) to American Gods, but about Mr. Anansi. Also, "Monarch of the Glen", found in Gaimens short story collection "Fragile Things", is a novella length sequel to American Gods, with Shadow as the protagonist.
    I'd recommend them both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anansi boys is a sequel (of sorts) to American Gods, but about Mr. Anansi. Also, "Monarch of the Glen", found in Gaimens short story collection "Fragile Things", is a novella length sequel to American Gods, with Shadow as the protagonist.
    I'd recommend them both.

I'll check that out,I have smoke and mirrors so I might start reading that after I've finished "the name of the wind" by patrick rothfuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

Anansi Boys is excellent.

Have you tried John Connolly or Martin Miller? Connolly's Book of Lost things is exceptionally good. There's also Susanna Clarke who is heavily influenced by Neil's work.

If you'd like to go older I'd recommend Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Trilogy. This series has gothic and surrealist influences and thus differs slightly from Neil Gaiman's work.

Advertisement