Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hamsters ain't working

Options
  • 17-08-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭

The hamsters ain't working

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Oh yes they are.

88341.png

(Actually wearing that t-shirt at the moment)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Conor wrote: »
    Oh yes they are.

88341.png

(Actually wearing that t-shirt at the moment)
    Where did you get it from?

Where did you get it from?

http://shirt.woot.com/

It's not available anymore, but many other excellent ones are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cheers. I'll keep an eye on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be serious, I'm finding boards rather sticky today, edits taking an age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

going like a rocket at the moment

mike65 wrote: »
    To be serious, I'm finding boards rather sticky today, edits taking an age.
    going like a rocket at the moment

We were having trouble all day. We've made a few tweaks which hopefully will keep it stable. I'll be keeping an eye on it for much of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,124 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Something slammed into the poor girl earlier. Like an elephant trying to finger a squirrel.

Do you reckon its a technical problem, or an attack of some sort?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Conor wrote: »
    We were having trouble all day. We've made a few tweaks which hopefully will keep it stable. I'll be keeping an eye on it for much of the evening.
    What is causing the slow down?

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you reckon its a technical problem, or an attack of some sort?
    Jonathan wrote: »
    What is causing the slow down?

It's not an attack (or if it is, it's cunningly disguised to have the same profile as normal traffic, just more of it :)).

Best guess at the moment is that the rising levels of traffic made us reach some internal limits in the way we have the databases configured. It's hard to be 100% sure, since there are a lot of variables which mask the effects of every change we make (how well warmed up the caches are, the blend of threads being viewed (long v short), the number of posts being made, the spider:human ratio, table fragmentation, etc) so it's a fairly complex process to analyse the performance of boards.ie.

• Advertisement

is it just me or has the favicon also gone missing for some reason

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Overheal wrote: »
    is it just me or has the favicon also gone missing for some reason
    Seems to be working fine for me.

Been running smooth today anyway

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement