Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband Provider Letterkenny?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Curretly with BT Ireland Broadband, meant to get 7meg, however we get around half that.

Got a letter from them recently saying they are being taken over by Vodafone. What effects on service do you think this will have?

Anyway i'm thinking of changing broadband provider, want fast broadband inc wireless connection, no or large download limit.

I also do bit of online gaming with PS3.

Whars the best package availiable in Letterkenny?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Vodafone thing should have little effect on your current status.

Might be worth considering Smart, though it could take a while to change over. However they do use ADSL2+ in the exchange, which *might* improve your speed.

Otherwise, maybe a wireless operator, like Irish Broadband, or Digiweb Metro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

+1 for smart DSL
    if you're gaming, avoid the wireless option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Smart Telecom is the best by miles! no contention on the line, good price and unlimited download usage. Anything else doesn't compare really (i don't work for them before you ask!) :)

You give them your BT/Eircom account number and they'll transfer you over inside 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Anyone actually used this up in Whitethorn area of Letterkenny? How was the performance?

Another related query: at the moment i use my PS3 wirelessly as my router has to go upstairs and my tv and PS3 are downstairs but wireless for gaming is a bit pants.

Was being told about MIMO (sp?) router that apparently plugs into my existing router which will then probably double my wireless speed (according to shop sales person).

Anyone used or uses one of these badboys? What difference does it realistically make to speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Smart is your only man!

A MIMO router (or N router) will work with a PS3 but you will not gain any advantage. PS3 uses b/g technology and will connect to the N router but there will be no performance gain. There needs to be N technology at both ends, device and router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Smart all the way. been with them in my current address up the mountain top for the past two years and get a perfect 7mb line. :D you would be mad to consider anyone else in the town for BB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sorry for jumping-in here, but I wonder how do Smart compare for price?
    I'm with UTV, 3meg, unlimited, with their free off-peak calls package.
    Been with them for a few years, with no problems. Just looking at reducing the costs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

I'm at the end of the line in Letterkenny, but Smart were able to give me speeds of 3MB even though there is literally miles of line between me and the exchange. However, over the past year my line has deteriorated so much that Smart can't offer me Broadband anymore. :(

Basically, Eircom were unable/unwilling to fix the fault. Smart advised me that if I was with Eircom then I might get resolution to my problem. I've been trying to move to Eircom over the summer but they lose my forms, send me the wrong forms, fail to get back to me etc. If I didn't need them, I would run a mile.

Meanwhile, I stuck with crappy mobile broadband from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I'm with Digiweb and from what I can see they are by far the cheapest, I was thinking of switching and now I'm staying put. 8mb, unlimited download limit, no line rental, no landline needed, about €35 a month I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

That's very good indeed. What area are you in, if you don't mind me asking? And what service did you get? They only list DSL for where I am. And they have awful caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Smart Telecom is the best by miles! no contention on the line, good price and unlimited download usage.

The unlimited download usage was my main reason for choosing Smart, but they've recently introduced a cap :(

Having said that, they are still very, very good and I have no plans to leave them. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

eman66 wrote: »
    That's very good indeed. What area are you in, if you don't mind me asking? And what service did you get? They only list DSL for where I am. And they have awful caps.
    If that is me you are talking to, I'm in Letterkenny and the service is Digiweb metro.

Advertisement