Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameface

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I just remember the tournament style one where if you lost in a round you were tossed into the pit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Roar wrote: »
    I'm struggling to remember here, but wasn't there an Irish games show about 13 years ago that was on rte.. had kids playing street fighter two against each other.. had that annoying lad kevo or whatever presenting it..

It was ****. Good ridence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I vaguley remember it and what I remember is that I don't want to remember. You'd think it'd be easy to create a games program. It'd be relatively cheap (unless you want to start sending people off to interview developers) and it's got wide appeal.

We could start one ourselves but I don't have the body of Olivia Munn (or Patrick Moore).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh how I HATE Poochy TV.

Although I did like that Gamesville show. The guys were obviously real gamers with a fair bit of interest in gaming. I used to like the retro section they did and actually liked the guru when they decided he was funnier when giving abuse. Plus you had the cuties who did the mobile and freebie games. Their reviews were also pretty unbiased. I also liked how they would not hold back when playing the kid guests and, more often than not, would hammer them.

I used to also love When Games Attack. Bring back Dominik Diamond and Violet Berlin. All shows presented (And, at least in the case of WGA and Gamepad) written/produced by game fans

Come on, the average gamer is now in their mid to late 20s at this stage with a long memory of gaming and a genuine interest in the history/progression/future of gaming. We don't want "Crazy yoof camera angles" and "wicked in-yo-face" cliches spouted by professional (read polished and non-gaming) presenters

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The princess leia bikini swings it for me.

Pfffffft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Although I did like that Gamesville show. The guys were obviously real gamers with a fair bit of interest in gaming. I used to like the retro section they did and actually liked the guru when they decided he was funnier when giving abuse. Plus you had the cuties who did the mobile and freebie games. Their reviews were also pretty unbiased. I also liked how they would not hold back when playing the kid guests and, more often than not, would hammer them.

Little bastards playing video games, phrases like "the graphics on this are wicked." That Guru, I actually hated the programme as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Companion Cube

I cant beat cunny on his above post, but gamezville was pretty dire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEzWcoOsG7o&feature=related

My eyez they burn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

your eyes burn? She was pretty damn hot tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Did anyone else here enjoy Gamezville in a car crash TV sort of way?

• Advertisement

Well I used to like the retro corner and used to enjoy watching the lads whip the kids in games. Could've done without the actual kids themselves obviously.

But seriously, how expensive would it be to actually do a decent show aimed at the current gamer age (Mid 20s to early 30s apparently). Coupla cameras, couple of each console and a MAME cab :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say it would cost next to nothing to make. A dodgy studio, decent presenters and video capturing software. You could even take a movies games and videos approach with just images and voice overs and talking heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'd say it would cost next to nothing to make. A dodgy studio, decent presenters and video capturing software. You could even take a movies games and videos approach with just images and voice overs and talking heads.

Well what's stopping you.
    Just post your results on youtube until you get that TV contract!

The video capture card, thats what :)

Also what you said about the tv contract isn't too far from the truth since it worked for the consolevania guys.

The Movies, Games and Videos approach would be the way to go. You wouldn't need anything other than your pc, some software to capture video and any one of a number of free video editing packages.
    tuxy wrote: »
    Well what's stopping you.
    Just post your results on youtube until you get that TV contract!

You know, I think we should. You never know how difficult it'll be until you try. And it can't be any worse than that junk they had on Network 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

humanji wrote: »
    The Movies, Games and Videos approach would be the way to go. You wouldn't need anything other than your pc, some software to capture video and any one of a number of free video editing packages.

A good modern example would be the Stuttering Craig "Video Game Vault" reviews on GT. Love those retro reviews, not as involved as AVGN, but he doesn't limit himself to just bad games. It's a mix between an actual overview of the game and a comedy sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

L31mr0d wrote: »
    A good modern example would be the Stuttering Craig "Video Game Vault" reviews on GT. Love those retro reviews, not as involved as AVGN, but he doesn't limit himself to just bad games. It's a mix between an actual overview of the game and a comedy sketch.

Love the VGV's, and the Top Tens are quite good too.

Gaming TV shows just dont work in the modern age, the internet has made them obsolete like web-news casts are making newspapers and news shows less exclusive. If its only reviews you could get away with a show a week but most shows I have watched usually feature games that are months old. Probably due to production times, another reason a M,G&V approach would be best as no reshoots or extensive post-production needed.

humanji wrote: »
    You know, I think we should. You never know how difficult it'll be until you try. And it can't be any worse than that junk they had on Network 2 years ago.

Could be interesting.

*strokes chin*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just nick the co-op format, same format and people who used to do the the 1up show.

Could be interesting.

*strokes chin*
    LEAVE MY CHIN ALONE!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement