Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guess what it is - two new ones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

FN MODEL 49

F.N MODEL 49 , ADAPTED BY THE ARGENTINE NAVY TO 7.62 X 51 NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    F.N MODEL 49 , ADAPTED BY THE ARGENTINE NAVY TO 7.62 X 51 NATO

Very nicely spotted, theres only 7000 in the world

WAS GOING TO BUY ONE SEVERAL YEARS AGO BUT THE VENDOR WANTED $850 WHICH I DIDNT HAVE . BOUGHT AN EGYPTIAN MODEL 49 INSTEAD .

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    WAS GOING TO BUY ONE SEVERAL YEARS AGO BUT THE VENDOR WANTED $850 WHICH I DIDNT HAVE . BOUGHT AN EGYPTIAN MODEL 49 INSTEAD .

Are you in the US?

• Advertisement

harmoniums wrote: »
    Are you in the US?

YES, BEEN HERE FOR TWENTY YEARS .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

harmoniums wrote: »
    no this one?

3468548605_6b4c0e80ec_b.jpg

An M1 Garand?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nope not a Garand.Layout is wrong,and the internal components arent finished off well enough.Tool marks all over the place.
    Which would say somthing Russkie or Chinese
    I'd guess an SKS or a Norinco type M14 copy??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nope not a Garand.Layout is wrong,and the internal components arent finished off well enough.Tool marks all over the place.
    Which would say somthing Russkie or Chinese
    I'd guess an SKS or a Norinco type M14 copy??

Its actually a mid war springfield M1 garand.

You live and learn.:D Wouldnt have belived that the internals were that unfinished even in the war years.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Does anybody know what this is?

And I do not know the answer before you ask!
    Bayonet Circa 1900 Unknown after that.

Designed to fit a rifle or be worn in a scabbard.
    Goes down past the knee when worn.

Looks very like many but subtly different than any I have seen!
    113113.jpg

And I can't make photo smaller, new to posting pics!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is a German "Seitengewehr" or "Protection arm".

The were produced by Erfurt in 1902 and came in about 4 different variations. The one you have pictured is the "Gotavapen" M1898 N.A. designed ( and named) for use with the 1914 Mauser M1898.

Of course if this is all wrong then i'm going to look and sound a right t*t.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    It is a German "Seitengewehr" or "Protection arm".

The were produced by Erfurt in 1902 and came in about 4 different variations. The one you have pictured is the "Gotavapen" M1898 N.A. designed ( and named) for use with the 1914 Mauser M1898.

Of course if this is all wrong then i'm going to look and sound a right t*t.:D

I was told NO by the Classic rifle shooters!

It has a crown stamped on it so it's from a country with a Monarch.

I asked all the Buff's one day and brought it a long. 20 people looked at it, compared it and said not German! lol

Points to note are the angle of the Hilt, and the shape of the blade
    Or so I have been told ;)

I was told NO by the Classic rifle shooters!

It has a crown stamped on it so it's from a country with a Monarch.

I asked all the Buff's one day and brought it a long. 20 people looked at it, compared it and said not German! lol

Points to note are the angle of the Hilt, and the shape of the blade
    Or so I have been told ;)

19750282-002.jpg
    Close but no Cigar Ezridax :D

Stone me. If its not this then its a brother or sister of it.

98erfurt1.jpg

Note the similar striaght back of the hilt, long straight blade that "bulges" out towards the end of the blade. The hilt itself has the same stud/nut fixture at the base of it.

Look either side of the top of the hilt. There should be a number etched into it. This was usually done to identify the regiment number the person weilding it belonged to.

By the way, Germany had a Monarchy, from 1871 to 1918.................so.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Stone me. If its not this then its a brother or sister of it.

98erfurt1.jpg

Note the similar striaght back of the hilt, long straight blade that "bulges" out towards the end of the blade. The hilt itself has the same stud/nut fixture at the base of it.

Look either side of the top of the hilt. There should be a number etched into it. This was usually done to identify the regiment number the person weilding it belonged to.

By the way, Germany had a Monarchy, from 1871 to 1918.................so.

Well Done Sir!

You have out done the so called Experts ;)

Well Done Sir!

You have out done the so called Experts ;)

Thank you, thank you.

I would like to thank God, through him all things are possible. Then there is my manager, and not to forget Red Bull, google and WAY too much time.

(BTW i haven't gone mad, just ripping this p**s out of an academy award speech)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Hmmmm.....interesting......;)

If you take a close look at the photo posted by tackleberry you can make out the date "April 9, 1917" scratched into the handle.

Now, here's the joy of the 'tinterweb:

1. That's the date on which the Battle of Vimy Ridge commenced.
    2. One of the German Imperial divisions which saw action in that battle was the the 16th Bavarian Infantry Division
    3. Anyone want to hazard a guess at which slightly infamous german / austrian served in that division for a time during WW1?

The plot thickens.....it's a conspiracy bayonet!:D:rolleyes:

dCorbus wrote: »
    Hmmmm.....interesting......;)

If you take a close look at the photo posted by tackleberry you can make out the date "April 9, 1917" scratched into the handle.

Now, here's the joy of the 'tinterweb:

1. That's the date on which the Battle of Vimy Ridge commenced.
    2. One of the German Imperial divisions which saw action in that battle was the the 16th Bavarian Infantry Division
    3. Anyone want to hazard a guess at which slightly infamous german / austrian served in that division for a time during WW1?

The plot thickens.....it's a conspiracy bayonet!:D:rolleyes:

Well All I can say is God Bless your eye sight!
    It might have a few stories to tell alright.

The pic I put up is of poor Quality as my phone's carl's Zeiss lens is not as good as a good Nikon cam.

I hope to buy a good cam this summer all things going well perhaps a Nikon D5000 and a 55-300mm lens Nikkor of course!

I'm so glad it was not English or commonwealth :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The 'Martini' actioned rifle looks like a Gahendra.

• Advertisement

Well All I can say is God Bless your eye sight!

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but i think dCorbus is refering to the bayonet in the second photo posted not your original one. I'm assuming they are two different bayonets?

correct, I was. It's the second set of photos in which the date scratched in can be seen.

[3. Anyone want to hazard a guess at which slightly infamous german / austrian served in that division for a time during WW1?

Er..
    He also had Irish relatives living in Liverpool.He made it to corporal,went off to Munich and became a not quite so good painter,took up radical politics in the 1920s.got banged up in jail awhile where he wrote Mein Kampf..got out and was voted into German politics by pouplar acclaim.Was jolly cross all the time with the Jews in Germany and most of Europe,and decided on a grand European tour that lasted seven years??
    Thats tough..Could be any current Irish politican!!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    [3. Anyone want to hazard a guess at which slightly infamous german / austrian served in that division for a time during WW1?

Er..
    He also had Irish relatives living in Liverpool.He made it to corporal,went off to Munich and became a not quite so good painter,took up radical politics in the 1920s.got banged up in jail awhile where he wrote Mein Kampf..got out and was voted into German politics by pouplar acclaim.Was jolly cross all the time with the Jews in Germany and most of Europe,and decided on a grand European tour that lasted seven years??

Well this dude was in the 119R 11 101. so the learn-ed here can explain who owned it, and was he a Mustached man!:D
    113180.jpg

Hey Grizzly45, Now one really does learn something new everyday: I did not know that an tUasal Ahern had relations in Liverpool, amazing!:D:rolleyes:

Okay its markings are 119R. 11. 101.

119. - So we know he was a member of the 119th Imperial German Regiment, made up of of "overflow" from other various regiments.

11. - This signifies he was asigned to to the 11th company. Most likely a line officer, but not necessarily.

101. - The identification number to show which individual was given the bayonet.

Here is where the problems arise. Unless you have access to German (WW1) weapon assignment logs i don't know any other way to access the exact person it was assigned to.

There are other markers to look out for. On the base of the hilt there should be a double stamp, and at the top of the hilt on the rear of the handle/blade the should also be another marking. This indicates it was insoected and approved. Lastly on the rear of the sheath (that would be against the leg) there is also another marking (usually a number).

Any chance of some close up shots of these areas of the hilt and sheath.

Okay its markings are 119R. 11. 101.

119. - So we know he was a member of the 119th Imperial German Regiment, made up of of "overflow" from other various regiments.

11. - This signifies he was asigned to to the 11th company. Most likely a line officer, but not necessarily.

101. - The identification number to show which individual was given the bayonet.

Here is where the problems arise. Unless you have access to German (WW1) weapon assignment logs i don't know any other way to access the exact person it was assigned to.

There are other markers to look out for. On the base of the hilt there should be a double stamp, and at the top of the hilt on the rear of the handle/blade the should also be another marking. This indicates it was insoected and approved. Lastly on the rear of the sheath (that would be against the leg) there is also another marking (usually a number).

Any chance of some close up shots of these areas of the hilt and sheath.

I'll show ya some day in the flesh!
    The guy from your website link said Sg98aA
    Its got letters and a crown on the other side of the blade and some form of stamp on the top of the blade

I'll show ya some day in the flesh!

Bring it with you next time and i'll get a look.

Bring it with you next time and i'll get a look.

The more I find out the more interesting the story gets!
    I might be around the Midlands tomorrow, problem is I can't carry it and i have no fancy display case, YET ;)

• Advertisement

Just after finding this site and may give you some more info.

Advertisement