Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone shooting Muzzle-loaders/BP over here?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    got the 2009 Henry Krank catalog delivered free with Shooting Sports magazine during the week and it got me thinking. It was stuffed with muzzle loaders of all sorts. Is anyone over here actually shooting at targets with these contraptions or is it just the re-enactors making lots of noise and smoke? I know the explosives act is still a work in progress, but it's something I may just pursue in the future when it all gets squared away. (might 'import' 18kg of BP from the UK:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

It'd be cool to shoot alongside some lad with a TRG or something fancy and blind him in a cloud of smoke from my vintage gun :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

bigred wrote: »
    BTW, would they all be treated as shotguns?
    If smoothbore, yes they would.

Once it's rifled, then it's a...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

rrpc wrote: »
    If smoothbore, yes they would.

Once it's rifled, then it's a...........:D
    Rhetorical question has now been removed. Cheers rrpc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Can you get muzzle loaders/black powder guns here?

Thought they'd be a no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A black powder rifle, even an original one would be considered one step down from a nuclear weapon by the Gardai once they see the calibre, you could probably licence the TRG easier :D.

The only issue with owning black powder firearms here at the moment is the black powder.

Once that issue is cleared up, there's absolutely no problem and there are already a good few in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

kowloon wrote: »
    A black powder rifle, even an original one would be considered one step down from a nuclear weapon by the Gardai once they see the calibre, you could probably licence the TRG easier :D.

I was kinda thinking that licencing a .50 rifle might cause some consternation. But what about the smoothbores - they're only shotguns after all?

bigred wrote: »
    I was kinda thinking that licencing a .50 rifle might cause some consternation. But what about the smoothbores - they're only shotguns after all?
    One of our members has one. Custom made job from the US I believe. Brought it to the range one evening (he wasn't shooting it there :D). The thing was almost as tall as him (he's about 5' 10").

Not sure where he gets powder for it, probably breaks up shotgun cartridges. Doesn't use it that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What's wrong with a .50 cal smoothbore? There's a .73 cal smoothbore on nearly every farm out there... :)

Advertisement