Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else "not get" Aphex Twin

• 17-08-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Well? Ok, so I appreciate that the guy is more than unique in his approach, but tune wise, What the fcuk? I used to HATE minimal, and after years of forcing myself to listen to it, i can appreciate how great Hawtin et all are though. On the other hand, I've listened to AT cd's, went to see him at EP etc etc, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Ambient music at a festival? No thanks. And as for that **** drum n bass and cheap visuals, I was subjected to, well I just don't get it. Windowlicker aside, I basically think he's the most overrated producer/Dj ever. I reckon he's only so lauded as he's some sort of pioneer, but then again so are Kraftwerk/Underworld/Orbital - yet all three have the tunes and the shows to back up their reps. Anyone else agree with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

No i think he is brilliant:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

I think he is brilliant too. :) Have you not listened to "Selected Ambient Works 85-92"? One of my favourite albums ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Top of my hate list at the moment after his shambles at Melt. Spent the first 15mins dicking about with white noise. Not to mention the Distortion was terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Listened to his albums, some of the tunes are hit and miss but there are good ones in there too.

As for his set at Oxegen 08, it was hyped to bits. Went over to see what the fuss was about, and there was an awful lot of chin stroking going on. Very few people looked as if they were enjoying themselves. I left after about 40 minutes, everyone I met afterwards were telling that it was amazing etc. but you could tell by them that they'd turn it off if you stuck it on in their car.

While he has his moments there is a feeling of the emperors new clothes about him.

His videos rule though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Is it possible you weren't stoned enough?

I like most of his stuff but I know what you mean - it can be a bit 'WTF?' sometimes.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Nah I get him alright. He was one of the reasons I got into electronic music back in 1993.

I wouldn't for a second say he is overrated, buckets of talent and gets the recognition he deserves for his place in electronic music history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think he's awesome. He has turned his hand to so many different styles (acid, ambient techno, pure ambient, musique concrete, IDM, piano compositions, you name it) and managed something cool with each one. Bottled talent. Some of his stuff is fairly opaque alright but Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and a few others are brilliant and very accessible too. Dunno how good he'd be live, its the sort of music ya need to get into at home or something maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

to be honest i think you have to put his records into the context of when they were made to appreciate him.

nowadays to make an Aphex type track, it's so easy to do. Back in the day they were made, they did seem ridiculously complex and groundbreaking. Technically he was well ahead of most people.

I still listen to Drukqs every so often and the Richard D James album has some phenomenal bits.

If I were to start listening to him tomorrow, I would wonder what the fuss was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nonsense42

jtsuited wrote: »
    nowadays to make an Aphex type track, it's so easy to do. Back in the day they were made, they did seem ridiculously complex and groundbreaking. Technically he was well ahead of most people.

Couldnt agree with this more.Yeah its great making tracks like that now but he set the standard for so many different types of music added to the fact that it was all made on analog equipment in the 90's.

Aphex along with Boards Of Canada are 2 of the only producers who at the time I listened to and thought "How the hell did they make that".

A true musical genius in my opinion and I wouldnt judge his musical prowess on the strength/weakness of his dj sets.

Think:
    "On,Windowlicker,Come To Daddy,Flim,Arched Maid via RDJ,Alberto Balsam,Mookid,Donkey Rhubarb,Girl/Boy Song,Acrid Avid Jam Shred,Cornish Acid,Fingerbib,Yellow Calx,Xtal,Pulsewidth,Heliosphan&We Are The Music Makers"

And it should be enough of a reason for you to "get" Aphex Twin.A genuine innovator of electronic music who deserves the recognition he receives and will be viewed as one of the greatest and most influential musicians to ever grace the Earth.IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I LOVE his dj sets, possibly more than I like much of his production...

The "Selected Ambient Works" albums, and "26 Mixes for Cash" and "Drukqs" are great, really don't think the Richard d James album has aged gracefully at all, certainly not as well as the stuff he basically half-heartedly ripped off to make it...

• Advertisement

Find some of his stuff pushes the envelope a bit too far while I'd be a fan of his more ambient stuff like Nannou and On, but in general think his place in dance music history is assured.

I agree he has come out with some weird sh*t alright and there are certainly some tunes that hurt my ears, but he does seem to have that strange side to him.

On the flip side, he has produced some unreal music and has been said using very limited technology in the early days, in fact actually modifying electronics so as to create the sounds he wanted when still in his teens!

Some of the greats... (and for the producers present, why not take up a challenge and make one of these fine tunes using the many tools at your disposal today - take the first track, recreate it with a slightly different slant - you have until Friday :pac: )

Having just listened to some of these again, clearly he has no talent! :rolleyes: - like/dislike doesn't have to equate to talent or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

When it comes to certain tracks produced by Aphex Twin, such as "On", Girl Boy Song, Windowlicker etc. etc., there is no doubt that they are simply good tunes...there is nothing to "get" there, you either like it or you don't.

I understand however, how people don't "get" his other less melodic / non danceable tunes...what people are "missing" is the technical genius it took to write that "noise" at the time...it's kind of like turntablism, all that scratching on the decks sounds awful to some, but technically it is incredibly difficult to perform. Love it or hate it, you gotta appreciate the technical difficulty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I don't listen to or judge music because of its perceived difficulty or skill in producing it. I listen to it because I like the way it sounds. Some of my favourite tracks are incredibly simple, but they just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I would agree, I just can't listen to the stuff at all. Seems like the more inaccessible music is the more its cool to like it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well I do like some of it, but not into a most really, I would just not really listen to much ambient etc at all, although some just stands out.

I don't really buy into the whole inaccessable/cool debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Couldn't disagree with the OP more, Aphex Twin has always been one of my fav artists. My only criticism is that he isn't as prolific as he was in the 90s.
    And I certainly think he has the tunes to back it up. Every song on SAW85-92, SAW II is also excellant. Didgeridoo, On. Then my favourite 2 albums, Polygon Window- Surfing on Sine Waves and Caustic Window- Joyrex compliation. Then you've got the RDJ album, I Care because You Do and Druqks. Just look at how diverse those albums are and how ground breaking they all were at the time of their releases. I don't get people who don't get Aphex Twin.

Just remembered all his analogue bubble bath stuff there too.

I would agree, I just can't listen to the stuff at all. Seems like the more inaccessible music is the more its cool to like it

You should check Merzbow out so to see where the real cool, inaccessible folk hang out... see how many mins of this you can get through!

Aphex Twin does have some less accessible tunes, but a huge amount is very easy on the ear. To say people only like it because its cool is both insulting and ignorant.
    jiltloop wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree with the OP more, Aphex Twin has always been one of my fav artists. My only criticism is that he isn't as prolific as he was in the 90s.
    And I certainly think he has the tunes to back it up. Every song on SAW85-92, SAW II is also excellant. Didgeridoo, On. Then my favourite 2 albums, Polygon Window- Surfing on Sine Waves and Caustic Window- Joyrex compliation. Then you've got the RDJ album, I Care because You Do and Druqks. Just look at how diverse those albums are and how ground breaking they all were at the time of their releases. I don't get people who don't get Aphex Twin.

Just remembered all his analogue bubble bath stuff there too.

Analogue Bubblebath stuff is great, then of course the more recent Tuss debate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zascar wrote: »
    I don't listen to or judge music because of its perceived difficulty or skill in producing it. I listen to it because I like the way it sounds. Some of my favourite tracks are incredibly simple, but they just work.
    This was kinda covered in that Minimal thread a while back when JT was talking about certain artists spending a ridiculous amount of time creating the "perfect" beat (I'm paraphrasing) and therefore the music was intelligent music or something. Personally I don't buy into that. Fairplay if the artist feels the need to mess about with a sound for 2 years to get it just right but it means diddly if the overall composition isn't up to much.

I never really got the Aphex Twin obsession. Apart from a couple of good tunes his music just irritated me. But then again, I never was a fan of that disjointed all over the shop sound.

I robbed my dads aphex twin CD, instead of a massive attack one in my last minute rush before heading to ibiza. Tried to stick it on while attempting to avoid the horrors and chill out... it didnt end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I robbed my dads aphex twin CD, instead of a massive attack one in my last minute rush before heading to ibiza. Tried to stick it on while attempting to avoid the horrors and chill out... it didnt end well.
    OMG!! Your Dad'??? I feel old......very old!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Jeff Albertson

Seen AP at Oxegen last year, but just didnt get it at all, i thought the first ten minutes was just a bit of an intro and that some sort of music to dance to would result, but the next ten minutes was the same and so was the next twenty minutes, just couldnt get into it at all, my mates who i coaxed into comin with me were disgusted that i talked them into goin. Just wanted to see what the hype was and didnt get it at all. Lots of others were dancin but i dont know what to. Maybe his music is so complicated it is supposed to disturb you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Not really into aphex twin but i seen the guy live at oxygen last year and it was incredible!

Zascar wrote: »
    I don't listen to or judge music because of its perceived difficulty or skill in producing it. I listen to it because I like the way it sounds.

I agree with that. And think its the same with most music. Who cared that the likes of Pink Floyd and U2 had very ordinary musicians?

And on a similar point, I know that the Aphex Twin hates the term Intelligent Dance, and has criticised the use of that phrase in interviews before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    I used to HATE minimal, and after years of forcing myself to listen to it, i can appreciate how great Hawtin et all are though.
    why would you listen to something you dislike? because everyone else is...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Crimbo

I used to HATE the sound of my own voice, and after years of forcing myself to listen to it, i can appreciate how great the sound of my own voice really is.

:rolleyes:

I agree with that. And think its the same with most music. Who cared that the likes of Pink Floyd and U2 had very ordinary musicians? And on a similar point, I know that the Aphex Twin hates the term Intelligent Dance, and has criticised the use of that phrase in interviews before.

Hawtins Ricardo Villalobos's Fabric album was hailed as a magnificent masterpiece by some - and I have no doubt it was fantastically complex and took supreme skill to put together, but I thought it was pants because he took minimal, added loads of pointless things to it, and then took some of them away again. Minimal is kind of supposed to be "Less is More" - but I reckon he was thinking something along the lines of "Yes, but if Less is More, then just think how much more More will be!"

I'm not a big fan of the term "Intelligent Dance Music" either, but I think there is some misconceptions around it. It does sound like it was invented by people who are up their own arse and named it appropriately, but I think it was actually coined in part because of a seminal album called "Artificial Intelligence":
    wikipedia wrote:
    The term IDM is said to have originated in the United States in 1993 with the formation of the IDM list, an electronic mailing list originally charted for the discussion of music by (but not limited to) a number of prominent British artists, especially those appearing on a 1992 Warp Records compilation called Artificial Intelligence. The term is still seen by some as being peculiar to the U.S. but it is routinely used by music journalists, record labels, and fans on both sides of the Atlantic.

Great track alright - that's actually a shortened version on youtube of the full original remix. The shorter version is from '26 Remixes For Cash' but the original is on the following single from 1993 which is about twice the duration.

http://www.discogs.com/Meat-Beat-Manifesto-Mindstream/release/35834

I would consider that less accessible from his discography!

On a related note, rarely hear much about Meat Beat Manifesto, they had some great tunes over the years.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Meat+Beat+Manifesto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Well? Ok, so I appreciate that the guy is more than unique in his approach, but tune wise, What the fcuk? I used to HATE minimal, and after years of forcing myself to listen to it, i can appreciate how great Hawtin et all are though. On the other hand, I've listened to AT cd's, went to see him at EP etc etc, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Ambient music at a festival? No thanks. And as for that **** drum n bass and cheap visuals, I was subjected to, well I just don't get it. Windowlicker aside, I basically think he's the most overrated producer/Dj ever. I reckon he's only so lauded as he's some sort of pioneer, but then again so are Kraftwerk/Underworld/Orbital - yet all three have the tunes and the shows to back up their reps. Anyone else agree with me?

everyone is entitled to an opinion, even when its so ridiculously wrong that it borders on the unbelievable

As he was born here, is anyone going to play the old 'begrudgery' card?

In any Roy Keane argument it only takes about 5 seconds before someone throws it out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Hawtin has never released a fabric album. Are u thinkin of Rob Hood or someone's album?

It was more to do with the fact that the electrohouse i used to listen to had become pants, and that it's always good to educate yourself in other musical fields anyway......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

flynndog I know how you feel, Id to force myself to listen to this track for a long time before I got to like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKtUXVL-43Y

FLYNN-DOG wrote:
    Hawtin has never released a fabric album.

Sorry I meant Villalobos (Doh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

lol @ this thread, typical of this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

brianc27 wrote: »

Its a bit like a classical forum asking "anyone not get Mozart?":D

Catmologen wrote: »

haha, good stuff.. that should have been the first response!

brianc27 wrote: »

What's typical of this forum? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

Felixdhc wrote: »
    What's typical of this forum? :confused:

If its not minimal,oldskool,or the latest fad music you's get up your high horse.

If its not minimal,oldskool,or the latest fad music you's get up your high horse.

Oh right.. cheers. So what music does that leave then? I've just dismounted to have this conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Catmologen wrote: »

Only if Mozart had played/composed a style of classical music that was completely different to the other 95% of the classical music out there.

Just looked over the threads here, doesn't look like anyone got up on their high horse, only voiced an opinion on that they didn't get his music. By the looks of it, you've gotten up on yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Only if Mozart had played/composed a style of classical music that was completely different to the other 95% of the classical music out there.

Mozart did make some pretty big progressive leaps in his compositions. If there were internet forums back then people would probably have had the same conversation about Mozart :)

cornbb wrote: »
    Mozart did make some pretty big progressive leaps in his compositions. If there were internet forums back then people would probably have had the same conversation about Mozart :)

Possibly did. Just pointing out its not a like with like comparison.

More like going onto the classical forum and asking if they like classical music played on a Ford Focus (or whatever the car), just like them people in them ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

I've seen AFX play a fair few times now.

1st time was back in 98 or 99 in The Olympia - ****ing Brilliant. Classic AFX, all the pounding 4/4 trippy ambient techno.

If I'm honest.. thats the AFX that I love. I lost him when he started playing all the jittery sharp sh*te. Impossible to dance to. Thats when the chin strokers got involved. Saw him a few times playing that kinda stuff.. didnt really enjoy it.

That sharp edited crazy version of D&B that he plays.. Is is Drill & Bass? - It no longer has that "Timeless" quality about it. The randomness of the beats & warped effects all sound a bit predictible at this stage.

Even now.. Its all the early stuff I listen to mainly. Selected.. Caustic Window.. Polygon Window..etc..

I also have a couple of records that I still play.. Might be some of the Analord tunes?? :confused:

Anyway - I'm not impressed by the edits anymore.. Give me some TUNES.

The last album I bought was Drukqs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Helix wrote: »
    everyone is entitled to an opinion, even when its so ridiculously wrong that it borders on the unbelievable
    You win post of the month.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    OMG!! Your Dad'??? I feel old......very old!!

Nope, I just have odd parents. He also had the gold euphoria which I listened to when I was a nipper, amongst other various compilations. This is goin back a while though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

Some musical snobs just don't want to accept that often simpler music is better. Yngwie Malmsteen fans, for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement