Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation- Cap. Yea or Nay?

• 17-08-2009 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding the optional cap at graduation.
    I heard, and I do stand to be corrected- that since the cap in question is only for the ladies, it exists as a representation of the 'capping' of the wearer's education. In which case I ain't wearin the feckin thing!!

Any past grads, upcoming graduands have any opinion on the cap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Harpie wrote: »
    Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding the optional cap at graduation.
    I heard, and I do stand to be corrected- that since the cap in question is only for the ladies, it exists as a representation of the 'capping' of the wearer's education. In which case I ain't wearin the feckin thing!!

Any past grads, upcoming graduands have any opinion on the cap?

Graduation ceremonies were typically conducted in churches/university chapel annexes. The cap came to be worn by women specifically, as men were required to remove hats upon entering a church.

Its something of legend at this point, and is still entirely optional

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

That myth about capping a woman's education is utter nonsense.

I heard the same rumours going around last year when I was graduating.

There are several different beliefs regarding that subject;
    1: It's to cap a woman's education
    2: It's to cover long hair because it looks messy.
    3: It's a tradition that started when women were first allowed into university. The male students were disgusted and in protest refused to wear their caps and it has grown since then.

Personally I believe it is number 3.

What I will say though is make sure you bring plenty of clips if you are going to wear the cap. Thing really doesn't like to stay on your head.

That myth about capping a woman's education is utter nonsense.

I heard the same rumours going around last year when I was graduating.

There are several different beliefs regarding that subject;
    1: It's to cap a woman's education
    2: It's to cover long hair because it looks messy.
    3: It's a tradition that started when women were first allowed into university. The male students were disgusted and in protest refused to wear their caps and it has grown since then.

Personally I believe it is number 3.

What I will say though is make sure you bring plenty of clips if you are going to wear the cap. Thing really doesn't like to stay on your head.

You're not far off on number three, something along those lines did happen at one of the English ivy-leaguers, Oxford maybe.

I almost prefer the idea of number one, it keeps the history of womens subordination in education alive :) Up until eight years ago women were still awarded Radcliffe College parchments by Harvard.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Thanks for the insights, feck the symbolism of what it may or may not stand for- decided I'm not gonna bother with the cap out of practicality. Unless I'm having a particularly bad hair day :p

efla wrote: »
    I almost prefer the idea of number one, it keeps the history of womens subordination in education alive :) Up until eight years ago women were still awarded Radcliffe College parchments by Harvard.....

Hope this is tongue-in-cheek! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Thanks for the insights, feck the symbolism of what it may or may not stand for- decided I'm not gonna bother with the cap out of practicality. Unless I'm having a particularly bad hair day :p

Probably best. At least four people had their caps blown away on during the procession to the Aula. And that was just in my ceremony.

Hope this is tongue-in-cheek! :cool:

Of course, especially considering the history of Maynooth and its lay [female] relationship.

Makes the myth of the 'education capping' a little more appealing, lest we forget and all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

i'm wearing mine, not very often u'll get the chance and i never mind looking a fool and dressing up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I plan on wearing mine when I graduate, even if it did mean that traditionally, (which apparently it didn't) meanings do change over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I'm going to wear a cap to the grad me thinks, if only because it'll be one of the few times I get to wear a hat without my mother giving out to me :D

• Advertisement

meganj wrote: »
    I'm going to wear a cap to the grad me thinks, if only because it'll be one of the few times I get to wear a hat without my mother giving out to me :D

Why is it that mothers disapprove of beanie hats? :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Mine's sitting beside me and I asked her, she said "Not all mothers".

Why is it that mothers disapprove of beanie hats? :confused::D

The last time i wore a hat in front of my mother was at bruce springsteen and I was wearing a massive russian (faux) fur hat.. she was not pleased.

I think they just resent our young youthful exuberance which is represented by a variety of hats. :p

meganj wrote: »
    The last time i wore a hat in front of my mother was at bruce springsteen and I was wearing a massive russian (faux) fur hat.. she was not pleased.

I think they just resent our young youthful exuberance which is represented by a variety of hats. :p

That must be it!! :p

Rozabeez your Mam sounds cooler than mine :cool:

I know this was to hat or not to hat.. and I hate to go off topic but......

Can i wear jeans to the graduation? I'm not talking like crappy jeans, but a nice pair?

Advertisement