Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet Programme 2009

• 17-08-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anyone here has done this (or if they know of anyone) and what feedback they have from it? I did a search for JET but got nothing.

Things I'm looking for info on: accommodation, finances, employers, culture shock, and basically any pitfalls that I might come across.

I'm hoping to give it a shot as a bit of challenge to myself...I'm dead fecking nervous though :o

I have a Bachelors Degree in Computing and a CELT TEFL certificate. All I'm really missing is the cash, but I am working so will be able to save.

Thanks for any suggestions or info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

What cash do you need? Doesn't the JET programme offer quite good pay? I know somebody who went, loved it and renewed her contract for two extra years. It's something I've always had in the back of my mind too. Try googling the Japanese Embassy in Dublin, I think their site has a subsection on the JET programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I did a search for JET but got nothing.

Google JET programme. www.jetprogramme.org/
    Google Japan Exchange and Teaching.
    Go to the embassy web page. www.ie.emb-japan.go.jp
    Go to www.letsjapan.org.
    Go to www.eslcafe.com.
    Go to www.gaijinpot.com.

But seriously? Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What cash do you need? Doesn't the JET programme offer quite good pay? I know somebody who went, loved it and renewed her contract for two extra years. It's something I've always had in the back of my mind too. Try googling the Japanese Embassy in Dublin, I think their site has a subsection on the JET programme.

I've contacted them and they have provided all the forms etc. Yea they do pay well but I would need some money for flights and just so I'm settled and secure.

Everyone seems to know someone who did it but I've yet to get to chat to someone who has actually done it.
    Google JET programme. www.jetprogramme.org/
    Google Japan Exchange and Teaching.
    Go to the embassy web page. www.ie.emb-japan.go.jp
    Go to www.letsjapan.org.
    Go to www.eslcafe.com.
    Go to www.gaijinpot.com.

But seriously? Google.

I meant that I searched Boards. I can read all that stuff but what I'm looking for is actually first hand stuff. But preferably from Boardsies cos...well there just the bestest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

I thought they paid for your flights too. Surely 2 or 3 grand would be enough to have saved and the next JETs won't be going to Japan for nearly a year so you have all that time to keep working. Why don't you try contacting current and past JETs through their own site? I can't remember what it's called, it's not the ESL Café ... it's something particularly for the Japanese system ... but there's lots of forums there dealing with different aspects of life as a JET.

Advertisement