Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-Mobile USA

• 17-08-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Heading over the States shortly and will be looking to buy a T-Mobile sim for use with a N97. Anyone know if you have to show ID or proof of address or something anal. The website says $10 but activation required - not sure what that is about. Anyone any experience ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No ID required to buy prepaid phones. The patriot act has not got that far yet.

It is virtually impossible to buy a SIM card loose. It is easier to simply buy a $20 phone and simply use the SIM card and dump the crap phone. Otherwise you can buy SIMs off ebay easily.

$10 activation means that the SIM won't work until it is topped up with at least $10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Bond-007, not true, it is easy to buy just a SIM card in fact you don't need to buy it as the SIM card itself is free.

I'm in California for a month and went into a local AT&T shop and after a half hour wait in a queue (!?!) I had my SIM card together with $25 credit. They did want a US address, but the only reason for that was that if you need support by phone, they would use some of the address details to verify that you are indeed the account owner. When I told him that I don't remember my address, he just put in the address of the shop. You can manage your account online and I later changed the address to my temporary apartment. When my account was setup I could even choose a phone number from a list he had on screen.

You can top up with a voucher and also using a credit card, but it seems like only US credit cards are accepted. Vouchers are sold in many grocery stores, gas stations, newsagents, etc. so toping up isn't really an issue.

Advertisement