Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Increase Speed limit on motorways?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jimbling wrote: »
    But this carnage you talk of... how much of that happens on motorways? This continuously comes up, and I never really see an answer.
    I always presume that most road deaths happen on secondary roads... no idea if that is correct though. Is there actual stats for it?
    Our that link you'll see old stats that show that our motorways are 1.5 times safer than our other roads, this is the lowest ratio for any of the countries listed. Can anyone suggest reasons for this other than driver incompetance ?

Our motorways are only a little safer then Finish non-motorways. Their motorways are 5 times safer than ours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And simply stating "I am a good driver" does not make you a good driver.
    LOL

most Irish drivers rate themselves as better than average (IIRC it was something like 2/3rd's) and considering the average here is far lower than the rest of north west europe that's a scary amount of over confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Our that link you'll see old stats that show that our motorways are 1.5 times safer than our other roads, this is the lowest ratio for any of the countries listed. Can anyone suggest reasons for this other than driver incompetance ?

The figures are for 2003, when Ireland had about 300 yards of motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

great idea but theres a flaw some irish drivers do 40 on the m50 which makes me angery very angry.

it would be a great idea but can't see the minister of transport uping the speed :Pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would like to see motorway limits increased, but only when the Irish populace is ready for it. Until people learn the following, we're not ready for speeds in excess of 120 kmph.

(a) how to drive a 2-lane (never even mind the quantum leap to 3 lanes) system correctly
    (b) appropriate distances from the vehicle in front and how to adapt to different weather conditions.
    (c) use of indicators and safe lane changing.

Personally, I'd love the chance to see if I can drive safely at those speeds, after all, I do love motorway driving when conditions are good. But I'm not confident about the majority of other drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

we should hold off any discussion until Irish drivers learn how to use motorways as safely as the rest of the EU are able to do

things that need to happen first
    - there is proper respect for and enforcement of keeping left
    - speed limits are enforced - just look at how few trailers travel at 80kph
    - sane merging
    - lane dicipline
    - separation from vehicle in front

probably we should wait until NI drivers can get penalties down here too

At present there are too many people driving in the middle lane
    too many cutting across lanes to dive into the exit

I couldn't agree more. The three I've highlighted in red are particular bugbearers of mine.

I regulary drive in the UK and no-one (or very rarely) hogs the outside lane and the majority keep as far as left as possible.

Its also amazing (and scary) how many people tailgate the car in front when doing 120-140 kmh.....pure stupid.

I'd only go faster than 120kmh on a motorway in Ireland if I was sure I wouldn't meet another car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Don't think this is a good idea. Higher speed and when something does go wrong would result in more damage + injuries + the potential of higher risk of loss of life.

Mythbusters did tests on the way we drive. And the end result was that the human brain is not equipped to travel at high speeds and able to react to situations when they happen in time. The faster we go the worse the end results are.

Ok its Mythbusters but you would have to take some of it onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I think they should put billboards on the sides of the motorways informing motorists to 'Keep left unless overtaking'.

I honestly believe a lot of people consider the right lane to be the 'fast' lane when it is actually the over taking lane.

I can't count the number of times I've been on the m50, everyone is going 80 km/hr in a 100/120 km/hr zone because some idiot is in the right lane doing 80 km/hr, there's people behind them flashing yet they still fail to move into the left lane! :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

tywy wrote: »
    I think they should put billboards on the sides of the motorways informing motorists to 'Keep left unless overtaking'.

I'd agree too. I've seem plenty of drivers on the M6 with no cars around them doing under 120km/h in the outside line.

In that situation is it better to pass them in the inside line or move to the outside lane, flash them and hope they will move in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Waste of time. People already don't read the road signs that are there. Like lane closures on roads but still overtake as they approach the cones. Or people who take the wrong exit that has been signposted for miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Waste of time. People already don't read the road signs that are there. Like lane closures on roads but still overtake as they approach the cones. Or people who take the wrong exit that has been signposted for miles.

If you are coming up to a lane closure, you should queue in BOTH LANES. The Irish approach of queueing in one lane and getting annoyed when they see people flying down the other lane is some of the stupidest driving imaginable.

If there is a lane closure, what should happen is simple. Queue in BOTH LANES and merge in turn, like a zipper, where the lane closes, as far up as possible. It is not difficult! It is the most efficient way to use the road, reduces queues and eliminates road rage if done properly.

Zube wrote: »
    The figures are for 2003, when Ireland had about 300 yards of motorway.
    I did say they were old stats,

cba looking for newer ones , if you find any that show we've improved to the same as other countries in north west eu please let us know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Don't think this is a good idea. Higher speed and when something does go wrong would result in more damage + injuries + the potential of higher risk of loss of life.

Mythbusters did tests on the way we drive. And the end result was that the human brain is not equipped to travel at high speeds and able to react to situations when they happen in time. The faster we go the worse the end results are.

Ok its Mythbusters but you would have to take some of it onboard.

On a motorway, its the speed relative to the other cars which is important not the overall speed. If everyone drove at 140kph there would prob be less crashes than a mix of 120kph drivers and 100kph drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

On a motorway, its the speed relative to the other cars which is important not the overall speed. If everyone drove at 140kph there would prob be less crashes than a mix of 120kph drivers and 100kph drivers.

If people drive at 100km/h now, they aren't going to drive at 140km/h if the speed limit is increased though.

People drive at 100km/h because they don't have the confidence to drive and control the car at a higher speed.

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    If people drive at 100km/h now, they aren't going to drive at 140km/h if the speed limit is increased though.

People drive at 100km/h because they don't have the confidence to drive and control the car at a higher speed.

Similar thread over in the transport forum.

I made the exact same point. For the most part, people ignore motorway speed limits. They drive at a speed that they themselves find comfortable.

I doubt there would be any great increase in speed if limits were got rid of as people would not go over their comfortable speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Pete4779 wrote: »
    it should but it should be on a lane basis. The right hand lane should be clearly up to 160kph, and the left lane 100kph for trucks and slower cars.

Irish drivers do not have the discipline for current lane rules - ie overtake and pull back in (regardless of speed) - you will have people in the outside lane driving at all speeds up to 160kph, the chances of freeflowing 160kph for any reasonable amount of time (excluding the early hours) are zero.

Current speed limits are fine if you could average 120kph on a lengthy drive.

thebiglad wrote: »
    Irish drivers do not have the discipline for current lane rules - ie overtake and pull back in (regardless of speed) - you will have people in the outside lane driving at all speeds up to 160kph, the chances of freeflowing 160kph for any reasonable amount of time (excluding the early hours) are zero.

Current speed limits are fine if you could average 120kph on a lengthy drive.

You should only be in the overtaking lane when overtaking hence this doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I made the exact same point. For the most part, people ignore motorway speed limits. They drive at a speed that they themselves find comfortable.

I doubt there would be any great increase in speed if limits were got rid of as people would not go over their comfortable speed.

100% agree.

No point saying that if everyone kept to say 140kmph that there would be less problems. Other people will not travel at the speed that you want to travel at, be that slower or faster.

Besides, the greens would have a canary speeds increased as emmisions would increase.

As a nation we seem unable to enter or exit a motorway safely at existing speeds. Can you imagine the carnage as every car at 140kmph barrels down the motorway.

Damien360 wrote: »
    100% agree.

No point saying that if everyone kept to say 140kmph that there would be less problems. Other people will not travel at the speed that you want to travel at, be that slower or faster.

Besides, the greens would have a canary speeds increased as emmisions would increase.

As a nation we seem unable to enter or exit a motorway safely at existing speeds. Can you imagine the carnage as every car at 140kmph barrels down the motorway.

I would imagine that the majority of people would still drive circa 120kph or slower (a hell of a lot of people stick to 100kph on motorways as is). I would imagine 25% to 30% of people would go 140kph or faster ?

Just had a look at poll results (70% to increase). I think there might be some bias on the part of motor forum posters. :D

• Advertisement

I would imagine that the majority of people would still drive circa 120kph or slower (a hell of a lot of people stick to 100kph on motorways as is). I would imagine 25% to 30% of people would go 140kph or faster ?

25 to 30% doing 140kmph is a bit of an overestimate. I travel at 140kmph on motorway most of the time. Not that many keeping up or gaining on me (that is not bragging by the way). Less than 10% would be more like the real figure. Might depend on motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

If I remember previous such discussions correctly, it has been touted afew times (and maybe backed by stats) that motorways (at 120) are the safest roads to drive on.

Would it be reasonable to say that speed should be increased so that the death rate per/km is the same as the rest of the roads in the country? Why be inconsistent and treat a minute proportion of the nation's roads differently to the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

...and in my opinion, they should borderline not be on the motorway. Short of having ridiculously slow speed limits, the only way to ensure accidents are not caused by having to slow to 80km/h hard to change lane because everyone is going too slow, is to increase the minimum speed allowed, and get these people off the motorway altogether onto back roads.

People who reduce the pace of the inside lane to 100km/h or lower are liable to cause as many accidents as people doing any of the bad things mentioned here, if not moreso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    If you are coming up to a lane closure, you should queue in BOTH LANES. The Irish approach of queueing in one lane and getting annoyed when they see people flying down the other lane is some of the stupidest driving imaginable.

If there is a lane closure, what should happen is simple. Queue in BOTH LANES and merge in turn, like a zipper, where the lane closes, as far up as possible. It is not difficult! It is the most efficient way to use the road, reduces queues and eliminates road rage if done properly.

Queueing in both lanes works well as you said, but only in conditions of equal lane priority.

Late mergers are, as studies have shown, the cause of lenghty delays and more congestion. I can't think of any particular place where equal lane priority exists here. Therefore I'd say get in bluddy lane early and stop holding everybody up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

They should be increased to 130km/h like France and Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

squod wrote: »
    Queueing in both lanes works well as you said, but only in conditions of equal lane priority.

Late mergers are, as studies have shown, the cause of lenghty delays and more congestion. I can't think of any particular place where equal lane priority exists here. Therefore I'd say get in bluddy lane early and stop holding everybody up.

No, the lanes don't need equal priority. Having equal priority where two lanes come together isn't really possible anyway - someone has to have right of way.

All that is required is courteous driving, where people let each other out in turn, one from each lane. Getting in lane early is bad driving, leads to queue skipping, rushed merging, and raised blood pressure. Forming two queues and merging in turn allows everyone to get where they are going in the shortest amount of time, with the least possible stress. It is done all over the world, all it needs is education on how to do it correctly!

marinbike wrote: »
    They should be increased to 130km/h like France and Austria.

I believe there was a dail discussion on raising the limits to 130kph in the past. Came to no real conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Only in Ireland would a discussion about increasing speed limits involve the extra cost in fuel of travelling faster..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

IMHO opinion, I would love to see the speed limits raised :D
    but unfortunately too many people in this country can't manage 120kmh safely..... so leave them where they are for the safety of us all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭timbel

tywy wrote: »

I honestly believe a lot of people consider the right lane to be the 'fast' lane when it is actually the over taking lane.

I can't count the number of times I've been on the m50, everyone is going 80 km/hr in a 100/120 km/hr zone because some idiot is in the right lane doing 80 km/hr, there's people behind them flashing yet they still fail to move into the left lane! :S

The billboards should be put up - also an €100 on the spot fine to be issued to people in the overtaking lane while not overtaking anyone.
    Send the Garda out on a blitz of the motorways for a couple of weeks to enforce it - we solve our national debt problems or people learn how to drive on a motorway. Either way I'll be a little happier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

robtri wrote: »
    but unfortunately too many people in this country can't manage 120kmh safely..... so leave them where they are for the safety of us all..

You could make the limit 20 kph or 1,000,000 kph and it would have zero effect on safety because nobody pays any attention to motorway limits, and no-one is out there enforcing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'd love to see the limit from Sandyford to "miles later" increased to 80kph.......:rolleyes:

will the roadworks EVER end.....:(

SV wrote: »
    Only in Ireland would a discussion about increasing speed limits involve the extra cost in fuel of travelling faster..
    wasn't there some discussion about the 55mph limit imposed in the US in an attempt to reduce fuel imports back in the 70's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

SV wrote: »
    The US decreased the speed limit to 55mph during the last oil crisis for fuel economy reasons.

The reason for imposing a speed limit on the otherwise unrestricted autobahns in Germany is fuel economy.

In Ireland we only talk about it on boards.ie

Advertisement