Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question - very vague :p

• 18-08-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭

EDIT: Posted in the wrong place, Mods please move if you dont mind, thanks.

A friends Inspiron 1525 shut down unexpectedly a month ago or so. On reboot there was a missing/corrupt .dll warning when Vista tried to start. System restore on disk failed, so I used a Vista disk to repair the system, which worked fine. I then did some general cleaning and ran CHKDSK. Everything checked out and it seem that it had probably overheated and the drive had stopped unexpectedly as the whole thing was full of dust. So, I cleaned the whole thing out, ran perfectly.

Its just after failing again. They shut it down and went to bed. On startup thismorning it failed and offered to repair, which failed. They then attempted to roll back a day using system restore. That did its thing and on restart they got as far as just before the login screen, then BSOD, movealbe cursor and thats it. Sticky keys warning works, but no Taskmanager.

I can probably repair it with an OS disk again, but before I do I'd like opinions on what caused this? I'm thinking the HDD might be on the blink? I dont feel like having to repair it every month:p

Thanks,
    Lethal and Mate.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Download ultimate boot cd. Boot from that and run the hard drive diagnostic tools in it. That will let you know if there is a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Download ultimate boot cd. Boot from that and run the hard drive diagnostic tools in it. That will let you know if there is a problem with it.

Will look into that now, thanks.

Advertisement