Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ny diabetes going to stop me getting my new job

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

ok did an interview couple of weeks back and was told I had the job, but I have a couple of forms to fill out one is a form related to any medical issues I might have, now the position involves some driving and work at weekends evenings etc, I have antibodies for type 1 buy type two symtoms, I consider my diabetes well in control, buy I get the feeling when I put diabetes on the form its going to kill off my chance of the new position, am i right to be worried? Any boards diabetics run into similar issues? I should say the work does not involve any major physical activity that could bring on a low.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Romero wrote: »
    ok did an interview couple of weeks back and was told I had the job, but I have a couple of forms to fill out one is a form related to any medical issues I might have, now the position involves some driving and work at weekends evenings etc, I have antibodies for type 1 buy type two symtoms, I consider my diabetes well in control, buy I get the feeling when I put diabetes on the form its going to kill off my chance of the new position, am i right to be worried? Any boards diabetics run into similar issues? I should say the work does not involve any major physical activity that could bring on a low.

Thanks in advance

You should be ok, imo. I don't think you can be legally discriminated against because of your diabetes. Provided you are medically fit to drive, everything should be ok.

But you do have to disclose it.

Also, sorry about this but what does this mean?:
    Romero wrote: »
    I have antibodies for type 1 but type two symtoms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Providing the job doesn't involve a Cat C Commercial vehicle you should be Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

hobochris wrote: »
    Providing the job doesn't involve a Cat C Commercial vehicle you should be Ok.

But surely if he was medically cleared to use a Cat C then he should be ok anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

I was REFUSED employment from a BIG company in ireland over 1 year ago BECAUSE ON THE MEDICAL I SAID I WAS TYPE 1.I went through the equality tribunal:rolleyes: "ye" and i met the director numerous times.
    I cannot give much more info as i did the medical again last week and i waiting to hear back next week if the job is there for me now.

Il explain this all next week as this will also be published by the diabetes fed ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

But surely if he was medically cleared to use a Cat C then he should be ok anyway?

Nope that's the law, Its that way because diabetics are a lot more likely to lose concentration or worse go into a coma than someone without diabetes. Now add a large heavy goods vehicle into the mix and your have a Extremely dangerous potential situation that is very likely to occur randomly without warning.

Heavy good vehicles don't crash as much as cars but when they do the result is 10 times worse usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I am a lorry driver and a diabetic,the law seems to be a very grey area and nobody seems to know the full law properly.My consultant got as much detail as he could and only allowed me back when i was off insulin and then my bloods had to be stable for three months,when this happened he allowed me back i was out for six months in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I think if you had the license before being diagnosed, you're ok and can use it legally, but you will be unable to get one if you apply after. Could be wrong.

Advertisement