Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Bill Pay Lite 25 to Talk 300

• 18-08-2009 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all, hoping some meteor folks can help me out here. I'm on bill pay lite 25 and want to change to a 12 month Talk 300 package with the sole intention of getting a phone. I know it doesn't make great sense value wise but the phone I want is the LG Arena which doesn't come on PAYG and is over 300e sim free. Anyhow, I'm getting mixed feedback from shop staff and customer care as to the best way to make the change over. It has been suggested that I could cancel my contact and move back to PAYG in 30 days, then sign up the new contract. There was also mention of putting it through as an early upgrade. Also that I could go into store and transfer straight from one to the other by just signing up for a new contract and be "ported" over for want of a better word. That is what I'm trying to do but nobody in the two meteor stores that I've been to have been able to do it. Maybe it's not possible and I don't hold it against the staff, I've worked in a phone shop before and I know with new tariffs and such that it's not always made clear what to do, especially when it's not every day that someone would want to change from lite 25 to talk 300. I rather not have to wait the 30 days if possible but I may have to.

So my question is has anyone done this and how was it done?

There was one other solution where I could port to another network then port back into meteor with the new talk 300 contract but that would involve extra unnecessary billing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

to do what you're trying to do it is essentially just an upgrade - as it appears you were told somewhere in the bundle of contradicting info you received. it may not be as simple as a regular upgrade but there is a process in place to do just what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

best of both by 3 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Didn't feel like starting a new thread about Meteor upgrades, there must be a ton of them I'm sure.

But does anyone know what type of phone I could expect to be offered; I'm due an upgrade from Talk 60, so could change to their new equivalent Connect 25. As that's the cheapest of their bill pay options, will they only offer me a p.o.s. phone?
    I was thinking about upgrading to their €45 plan anyway, but is it worth playing hardball and suggesting you'd walk away from your contract and go to o2/VF, or will the kid working in the store not give a crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

You'll be offered anything you like from Meteor's entire billpay range, subject to it being in stock.

You will however, have to pay for it.

You can see the full range of phones on their website, but as for prices, you'll have to enquire instore, as AFAIK, those prices only relate to new connections (and have a €10 website discount) .

You could switch to the €45 plan and pay about €30 for something decent, or to the €25 plan and cough up about €50 or so. You might get away with paying less, but you'll have to pay something. Nowt's free nowadays.

Do change plan though, unless you genuinely can live with 60 minutes of calls. The new cheapest equivalent is €20 over 18 months for 200 mins and 200 texts which is far more than what you get with yer 60 minute plan.
    is it worth playing hardball and suggesting you'd walk away from your contract and go to o2/VF

Probably not, if you're expecting a price reduction. The real money for phone stores is in new connections, not upgrades, so the upgrade prices aren't really that flexible, therefore the incentive simply isn't there for staff to bend over backwards for you in the way that they may if you were a new customer.

Worst case scenario : If you continuously push them and threaten to shift your business, they'll probably just simply admit they can't offer you anything, and you'll have to either climb down and take what's on offer or make good on your promise to move to a competitor. Either way, someone's gonna feel awkward. Still, if you're thrifty, you might save a few bob if you do have to move to another network. Just make sure to have everything you need with you to start a new contract elsewhere if it comes to that. And read all the small print.

By all means have a shot, but don't expect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Are you sure you are due a upgrade just because you are out of contract DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL GET A UPGRADE. Had murder with them over this as they refused to give me a new phone untill 18 months being out of contract 6 months and they first told me o we will give that upgrade to you in feb then march and so on. They dont care about loosing a contract YOU DONT SPEND ENOUGH is what i kept getting and loosing you would mean 20 quid a month.

Speaking from experience was on talk 60 myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I rang customer care and they assured me that I was due some upgrade, so I'll go in store and see whats what. Thanks again!

Advertisement