Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EC-Council security courses

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi

Has anybody done an ec-council course?
    Are they any good?
    Are they recognised in the i.t. industry? They do security courses.

Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

FYI AFAIK - (don't take my word on this, check it out yourself)

Its just an organisation set up by some guy and/or his friends.
    I don’t know if you’ve been reading newsgroups lately, but it seems that the CEH, sold by the “EC-Council”, is somewhat of an elaborate hoax which many are seeing for what it is. A summary: ECCcouncil is a company started in Malaysia by a marketing guy called Sanjay Bavisi.

Trying to get on the security bandwagon, he invented the CEH and made them appear to be “A New York based” council of members. The fact is that they are Kuala Lumpur based company that people have been taken in by and most of the “council members” don’t even know that they are on it. The people writing the courses are NOT pen testers or ethical hackers and the the course content is written in terrible English and a lot of stuff seems copied and pasted straight from the web.

Look at this review of their book on amazon:
    “Ethical Hacking” is really just a hotch-potch of descriptions of tools that can be found anywhere on the Net. The English is so anguished as to be scarcely recognizable in places – almost as if it’s been translated into Lithuanian by Google, and then back into English again. The peculiar typesetting makes it even more difficult to read.

I just gave up trying to read this book. My advice is not to waste your money in the first place.

Do a search for “scam” and “ceh” and you will see that this bunch are slowly but surely being exposed for what they are. There are legitimate penetration testing qualifications out there, but this one is looking dubious to say the least. Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

http://elamb.org/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh-scam/

There are many, many more posts like that out there.

I think your better off building a security lab and working on that to gain understanding of the various anti-x technologies etc..

Advertisement