Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students like wtf??!!

• 18-08-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Mature students?
    Where would you be!

Where do they get these people from?
    They sit there in the front rows with their books and several pens (in a pencil case) madly jotting down everything the lecturer says....
    If you look into their notes copy it's like a feckin dictaphone
    I mean give me a break!

Not only that but some of them think they really know it all, tut tut tut :(

Disagreeing with the lecturers? Snarling at people talking during the lecture, when their silly questions are in fact much more disruptive!

Yeah that's right they ask questions! (often completely irrelevant or silly) :O

And their older with wrinkles and unwanted facial, nose and ear hair! :( ugh!!! (this line is a joke btw)

Some of them are grand though :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Effluo wrote: »
    Mature students?
    Where would you be!

They sit there in the front rows with their books and several pens (in a pencil case) madly jotting down everything the lecturer says....
    I mean give me a break!

Disagreeing with the lecturers? Snarling at people talking during the lecture, when their silly questions are in fact much more disruptive!

Yeah that's right they ask questions! :O

And their older with wrinkles and unwanted facial, nose and ear hair! :( ugh!!!

Some of them are grand though :D

Mature students are a godsend. There is nothing worse than trying to beat a conversation out of a room full of freshly minted teens. They maintain order, keep the room nice and quiet, and ask just enough to get you on a five-minute-filler monologue; and even though they think they have caught you out, they make you look as if you didnt also prepare the material the night before by allowing you to give an incisive answer.

They also worry too much. Any mature students reading this? I love you one and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

WTF Indeed,

Some people spend 20/30 years workin sh!t jobs because the level of education the may possess will only allow them to work said jobs, or supporting a family,

This might make them anxious not to blow the oppertunity that college provides them,

So if they wanna ask questions they should be given some grace. (granted this shouldnt really happen during lecture time but the majority of mature's i know do it in tutorials and after lectures). Remember the expression "the only stupid question is the one you didnt ask";)

The only time i recall a mature student being 'disruptive' was when a lecturer allowed a disturbance to continue, and said mature took the initiative to put an end to it.

as for sitting up the front it tends to be the older of the matures (who may have hearing and visual impairments :rolleyes:),

lastly your post show exactly what is wrong with some non mature's and it is simply a lack of respect,

What really has to be asked is why it is bothering you at twenty to one in the morning in the middle of august???????

(oh btw, sticking a smiley face on the end of your post doesnt make it ok to abuse people)

RANT OVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

Mature students?
    Where would you be!

I mean give me a break!

well for me i woudnt have any pens or pencils, id get new mini laptop with a free piece of recording software called audacity&a good mike or even an inbult mike on laptop, then u can get as close to the lecturer as possible&leave the thing on record&later export to mp3(u can even cut the file into little chapter mp3s) & catalogue all ur lectures on ur laptop... thats the way i would do it, u can even leave for a smoke break&or a pee&u havent missed a thing, jus remember to close the lid so it seams like its not on, u dont wanna distract the poor feckers behind u slobbering all over ur hdmi screen:)

now if i were to go back to college id be a mature student, i think using this method id have more notes than anyone&pretty soon id be selling mp3 lecture cds on to yourself... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

touché Padz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

padz wrote: »
    u dont wanna distract the poor feckers behind u slobbering all over ur hdmi screen:)

If it was a mini laptop the screen wouldn't be "HDMI".
    now if i were to go back to college id be a mature student, i think using this method id have more notes than anyone&pretty soon id be selling mp3 lecture cds on to yourself... :)

Probably some legal issues involved here.

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    If it was a mini laptop the screen wouldn't be "HDMI".

Probably some legal issues involved here.

u can get a mini with hdmi or thereabouts resolution ACER are now selling them,ther 11.6 inches that can apparently take 1080p regarding the legalitly of selling verbal lectures, obviously id do the recordings for myself firstNforemost& that thaught of selling it on was just a joke:),

but if ur lecturere is reading say extracts from shakespeare which is not in copywright anymore then there are no legal issues, provided its the lecturers own notes/or own original words &not some other professor from the us or UK...if colleges had something like this set up themselves it would be a nice little earner for them:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I haven't seen those screens, they'd be nice, but you'd nearly need a microscope to see text I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Teabag! wrote: »

(oh btw, sticking a smiley face on the end of your post doesnt make it ok to abuse people)

i completely disagree!

I must say i'm quite suprised by the lack of support i'm getting here...
    Nearly everyone i've spoken to has gripes with some mature students about one thing or another.

Most of the mature students i've met have been very condescending, in lectures and when dealing with other students they look to catch someone out, "prove them wrong so to speak".

In any projects i've had with some them they try to be overpowering then end up being unpredictable and unreliable (doing their own thing).

Surely people have had experiences like this too.

Yes and these are the same ones with their dictaphones... :roll:

p.s. oh yeah and padz they're called "netbooks"
    if the lecturer is reciting a poem or abstract, then the student would just need to pop on the internet or library to read it.
    Also i'm pretty sure that's all illegal anyway

hdmi screen...... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I think it will come back and haunt you .

what happens if in 4yr there is no jobs out there for what you are studying .

You decide to go back to college and learn something else then you will be the mature student .

i completely disagree!

Nearly everyone i've spoken to has gripes with some mature students about one thing or another.

Most of the mature students i've met have been very condescending, in lectures and when dealing with other students they look to catch someone out, "prove them wrong so to speak".

In any projects i've had with some them they try to be overpowering then end up being unpredictable and unreliable (doing their own thing).

Surely people have had experiences like this too.

Yes and these are the same ones with their dictaphones... :roll:

yeah ur right 'netbooks', i think people can be all about themselves at times in college,wanting aceptance from clasmates&recognition from the lecturer,in general i jus kept to myself, did my own thing, the weird thing for me was the people i got on wit, we used to talk about music etc, they wanted to skip class but id no interest in travelling for an hour up&back to do that so i mostly kept to myself but talked to everyone, i know what you mean about 'know it all' type people but i think thats right across the age spectrum, i know people who have had some very bad expierience with what they say is know it all d4 students,who have been well educated but not life educated,u know that way? so i think if u stick to ur own guns ull be grand, shag the crowd vibe i think its better to be a loner that everyone gets on with, classes can be very clicky aswell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some people will never be 'mature'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AlphaRob

Hey Hey!!

I wont be goin back to collage till next year. i will 22 goin back what do u think is that abit wierd?????:D

I've just been thinking about this a wee bit more,

And i'd say a lot of the people which people have bad experiences with, go back to college cause they blame their lack of education for the failings which they've found through their career...

This would certainly explain why they're so annoying in lectures and maybe why they're also ineffective in projects... Cause they're just bad at what they're trying to do..

I mean one of them i had this year was incredible. We had a couple of months to do this project and me and the other guys were setting up meetings she said she'd come never came, she didn't have a clue wtf the project was on. The morning of the presentation she accuses me of not giving her enough information and then telling here the night previous that she had to learn off the whole presentation.

(she showed people a text message with my name on it saying stuff) which i never sent...

Then in the presentation we gave her the tiniest bit to do and she completely goes off the wall talking absolute sugar...

The for the actual written report.... she copied and pasted around 10 irrelevant pages from google....

Absolutely terrible

AlphaRob wrote: »
    Hey Hey!!

I wont be goin back to collage till next year. i will 22 goin back what do u think is that abit wierd?????:D

I don't have a vendetta against mature students just as someone else just said the "immature mature"

you'll see what i mean when you get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm all for mature students. They ask questions I'm too shy to ask and they can be helpful.

I do have a problem with those who don't really know what they're doing or who make no effort to learn how to use the technology required for the course. Even if it's just turning work in via moodle or turnitin. Incredibly annoying having to walk someone through this each time an assignment is due. Although I've had friends my age who are the same and I've known mature students who are incredibly tech-savvie so it's not fair to generalise.

Funniest mature student moment (not experienced by myself, it was a friend who witnessed it):

In a lecture in JH1 during the first week of first year, class has 300+ students in it and this mature student is sitting right up the front , puts her hand up and says 'I don't know how to work my mooooooodle'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

To be honest - the original poster comes across as a bit ignorant. There is nothing more annoying than a bunch of 18 year olds talking during a lecture and giggling at stupid jokes. I'm one of those mature students you're talking about that tell you to shut up. We go to college for an education, not to listen to a bunch of 18 year olds giggling and disrupting classes. There's a time and a place for everything. If I counted the amount of times I've missed classes due to lecturers walking out because of students acting like children and disputing the class, you'd be shocked.

effulo that person sounds like a nightmare alright, yeah i agree that some peoples motivation for returning to education can be somewhat eschewed&maybe they have a chip in their shoulder,it dosent sound like she was into the course itself, if someones into the material then thats great but from my expieriences i have seen a lot of people(of every age) who arnt reely there to learn but jus soak up the material thats handed to them, i personally think thats totally the wrong way to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

u can get a mini with hdmi or thereabouts resolution ACER are now selling them,ther 11.6 inches that can apparently take 1080p regarding the legalitly of selling verbal lectures, obviously id do the recordings for myself firstNforemost& that thaught of selling it on was just a joke:),

but if ur lecturere is reading say extracts from shakespeare which is not in copywright anymore then there are no legal issues, provided its the lecturers own notes/or own original words &not some other professor from the us or UK...if colleges had something like this set up themselves it would be a nice little earner for them:)

HDMI

HD;)

i completely disagree!

So if i tell you your a narrow minded selfish dickhead, and i put a smiley face on the end of itits ok????

obviously its not ok,
    I don't have a vendetta against mature students just as someone else just said the "immature mature"

some how i find this hard to swallow, the fact that you went on a rant at 1.38 in the morning during the middle of the summer hols, shows your priorities are in need of some adjustment.
    And i'd say a lot of the people which people have bad experiences with, go back to college cause they blame their lack of education for the failings which they've found through their career...

the fact you started that with "i'd say" shows you obviously dont know what your talkin about, of the mature students in maynooth i have so far met an retired soldier, retired garda, ex nurse, and retired aircraft mechanic, i would hardly consider these people to have a lack of education......

then there are people who never got far in education through family circumstances, some people had to go to work at 14 to help support their families, then there are those who had children at young ages,

maybe those be people are just a little more open minded than you and realise that nobodies perfect .... well except you.

or maybe your talkin through your nose and trying to make a 'problem' or 'issue' seem bigger than it is,
    This would certainly explain why they're so annoying in lectures and maybe why they're also ineffective in projects... Cause they're just bad at what they're trying to do..

wanna back that up with some sort of empirical evidence, or will we just take your word for it??? or are we gonna go all childish and ake up stuff that we cant back up,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

ugh i think d difference is they want to learn... its a big decision to go back to college or to start it 4 d first time when most people in ur class are going to be 18years old going out everynight gettin pi*sed. Honestly yea back in school it's that exact behaviour that wud hav driven me mad and well would have led to them having no friends and being called nerds but it's about learning for them...you get to a point where u dont giv a s*hit wat other people think... coz most of the time its just a load of bs anyways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

sharms wrote: »
    ugh i think d difference is they want to learn... its a big decision to go back to college or to start it 4 d first time when most people in ur class are going to be 18years old going out everynight gettin pi*sed. Honestly yea back in school it's that exact behaviour that wud hav driven me mad and well would have led to them having no friends and being called nerds but it's about learning for them...you get to a point where u dont giv a s*hit wat other people think... coz most of the time its just a load of bs anyways

Learning > Incoherent sentence structure :p

Mature students perform above and beyond the standard of regular students; higher marks in exams, assignment, projects, and are the only ones who bother to engage with the lecturer, and make you feel as if your time is worth something.

My experience with other undergrads is the opposite - there is no love for a subject (with a number of exceptions, of course), their only contact is to ask unashamedly for exam tips, and they repond with indignation when asked to keep quiet. Year after year I am amazed at their inability to keep quiet for 45 minutes, mature students keep a classroom in check - I pray for them every year.

I mean one of them i had this year was incredible. We had a couple of months to do this project and me and the other guys were setting up meetings she said she'd come never came, she didn't have a clue wtf the project was on. The morning of the presentation she accuses me of not giving her enough information and then telling here the night previous that she had to learn off the whole presentation.

And yet they arent the ones who appear the following years to repeat. I'm sure your own contribution to the project was masterful.
    Then in the presentation we gave her the tiniest bit to do and she completely goes off the wall talking absolute sugar...

I would bet my job that there were more deadweight kids getting carried on average
    The for the actual written report.... she copied and pasted around 10 irrelevant pages from google....

Absolutely terrible

This is one example. Unfortunate, yes, but hardly representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

@Effluo - I've never seen so much offensive text from one person on these boards. Are you just trolling for the laugh or do you actually stand by the things you write?

mickstupp wrote: »
    @Effluo - I've never seen so much offensive text from one person on these boards. Are you just trolling for the laugh or do you actually stand by the things you write?

bit of both to be honest.... :D

But can we get over the shock factor of someone giving out about mature students for a second and actually consider what i'm saying?

Tea-Bag i know a load of mature students (as my course leads me to them) Not to mention drinking buddies with a few

And literally all the ones i've met have a background in what they're studying.

The fact i said "i'd say" rather than "i know"(or something like that) is of very little importance and personally it's a wee bit silly to be poking at other peoples wording and "huzzah" i've caught him out kind of attitude.

I'm looking for discussion not minor bickering.

Whether you can believe it or not, No i don't have personal vendetta against mature students(or anyone else actually)

At this point i'd like to ask if we can leave the personal insults out of this before this thread gets shut. cheers

Can we accept that some mature students may go to college, cause they're working in a sector where their peers have degrees and they feel that their lack of a degree is holding them back from promotion and being as productive as they could be?

Now these same people may just be plain unsuited to that particular sector(in my case it was business idea and setup), and going to college they will still be below par no matter what they do.

These are they people which i refer to when i say they ask annoying(often irrelevant) questions with obvious answers.

Or indeed sitting there denouncing what the lecturer says "No, No that's wrong" "When i was working with xyz and we did this and that and......"

They do exist people!
    They do exist....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

At this point i'd like to ask if we can leave the personal insults out of this before this thread gets shut. cheers.
    Don't give it if you can't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

88401.jpg

Even former President Bush went back as a mature student...

The fact i said "i'd say" rather than "i know"(or something like that) is of very little importance and personally it's a wee bit silly to be poking at other peoples wording and "huzzah" i've caught him out kind of attitude.

I'm looking for discussion not minor bickering.

But you havent, as your posts have shown.

Whether you can believe it or not, No i don't have personal vendetta against mature students(or anyone else actually)

At this point i'd like to ask if we can leave the personal insults out of this before this thread gets shut. cheers

Insults?

Yeah that's right they ask questions! :O

And their older with wrinkles and unwanted facial, nose and ear hair! :( ugh!!!

I'm sure you think its harmless and 'like...wtf', but you're coming off insulting. People with little experience of college read these forums - some have come looking for advice in the pages below - and its important to make clear that people such as yourself belong to the ignorant minority.
    Can we accept that some mature students may go to college, cause they're working in a sector where their peers have degrees and they feel that their lack of a degree is holding them back from promotion and being as productive as they could be?

No, because you are basing this on your own experience, despite a series of replies to the contrary.

What I hate most about comments such as yours? It is a pleasure to see (an overall majority) of people of all backgrounds, upbringings, life experiences, ages and abilities coming together and working to better themselves. And yet every year there are one or two (usually, and I may be presumptuous here - underachieving) people coming out with the same divisive sh*t as you. You think its harmless carrying those kind of sentiments around with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Mature students make the return to college for many different reasons - to better themselves and their family's lives, to study a subject that interests them, to upskill, realise their chosen career is not for them, do something they've always wanted to do but feared they couldn't.

Going back to college as a mature student takes a lot of courage. It's not something they do lightly. They don't just tick a few boxes in the CAO and hope for the best. They have to plan, save, work out how to support their families, take a serious reduction in income, go through a selection process that can include interviews, entrance exams etc. And a lot of mature students have to pay fees. Yes, they have to fork out a few grand each year.

So you can see why they might be annoyed if they've made a lot of sacrifices to go back into education and there's some twits at the back talking and laughing during lectures. Wanna have a chat, do it outside. Tut when someone asks a question? Eh, that's what college is about - to learn, expand your knowledge on your subject and come out of the course which as much knowledge in your area as possible.

I'm going back to college this year to study something I've always wanted to do but didn't think when finishing school I'd be any good at it. I've gotten a place after being rejected last year. I've been working hard to get a place the last 2/3 years. I certainly won't be taking any **** from any student - young or old that will hinder my learning on the course. (I'm going to Trinity, so you're all safe! :) )

You're gonna get uppity students and unreliable people in your groups young and old.

efla wrote: »
    No, because you are basing this on your own experience, despite a series of replies to the contrary.

What I hate most about comments such as yours? It is a pleasure to see (an overall majority) of people of all backgrounds, upbringings, life experiences, ages and abilities coming together and working to better themselves. And yet every year there are one or two (usually, and I may be presumptuous here - underachieving) people coming out with the same divisive sh*t as you. You think its harmless carrying those kind of sentiments around with you?

I mean i think i've just ran into a brick wall here...

Not once through this forum thread have even hinted that i thought mature students should not be allowed and so forth...

ffs sake efla wtf are you talking about?

You said essentially that No you can't agree that there are some mature students that go to college cause they think it will improve their performance in the sector their working in?

then go on a big rant about how you think it's great that people of all so and so come together and so and so???

What has that got to do with some mature students being annoying?
    You've changed what the thread is about completely and misunderstood my gripes.

Also on terms of personal insults i'd prefer not to go into it as this can be a major cause of thread shut down.
    but t-bag "nobodies perfect... well except you" now that wasn't very nice. Efla also called me ignorant, I don't want to go on about it but you know...

The whole point i was making was that some mature students are well annoying or well bad at their subjects and sometimes downright rude. Never have i painted them them all with one brush.

I think the mods should just close this now, it has no chance of recovery since people turned it into something "personal"

And i would preferably not have to endure this any longer.

Maybe we should start a poll about mature students to see if "other students" find them to be generally more or less annoying than students their own age...

Cheers for the "discussion" guys :(

• Advertisement

I mean i think i've just ran into a brick wall here...

Not once through this forum thread have even hinted that i thought mature students should not be allowed and so forth...

Can I ask you what exactly was you objective, or what you thought the most likely outcome was going to be, when you started this thread???
    Also on terms of personal insults i'd prefer not to go into it as this can be a major cause of thread shut down.
    but t-bag "nobodies perfect... well except you" now that wasn't very nice.

i told you your perfect how was that not nice (granted i was being sarcastic) on a serious note if you really are bothered by it i will apologise,
    The whole point i was making was that some mature students are well annoying or well bad at their subjects and sometimes downright rude. Never have i painted them them all with one brush.

what was your motivation for this action??? why did you feel you had to make this point????

are some 'non' matures not annoying, noisey, bad at there subjects,
    as for bein downright rude this applies to everybody, i think it has something to do with being human.
    I think the mods should just close this now, it has no chance of recovery since people turned it into something "personal"

And i would preferably not have to endure this any longer.

Endure what, you started this you went on an unprovoked rant, at people for nothing and now that your getting stood up to, you dont have the humility to admit you may possibly have been wrong,
    Maybe we should start a poll about mature students to see if "other students" find them to be generally more or less annoying than students their own age.

and if the majority of people disagree with you on this are you gonna start cribbing about that too????

what then do you think should be done about mature students??? should we be segregated? consigned to the back of the bus/train/lecture halls, eat in separate location????
    Cheers for the "discussion" guys :(
    you are welcome,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement