Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic V Arsenal FC 1st Leg - Parkhead

• 18-08-2009 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

So the 1st leg of the biggest qualifying tie is nearly, match is on Tv3
    And Sky Sports 2 kicking off at 7:45.

Really looking forward to this match but on the other hand, really devastated that these two have been drawn against eachother
    as I am a supporter of both clubs (mainly Arsenal).

I expect Arsenal line up like this assuming that Fabregas, Denilson and Sagna are passed fit to play:

Almunia
    Sagna
    Gallas----Vermaelen
    Clichy
    Song Billong

Fabregas
    Denilson
    --van Persie
    Bendtner
    Arshavin--

Not too sure on the Celtic line up so just going to go with this

Boruc
    Hinkel
    Caldwell----Loovens
    Fox

Mcgeady---Brown---Nguemo----Maloney

Fortune
    Mcdonald

Any thoughts on this game?

May The Best Team Win :D.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd put the line up as roughly the same as you have it there. Although if Sagna and Denilson aren't fit it's handy enough to be able to sub in Eboue and one of Diaby and Ramsey.

And if Fab doesn't pass his fitness test then both Diaby and Ramsey can play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Hopefully Fab is fit, really hard to beat Celtic at Parkhead but with Fab in the team it would make it a whole lot easier.

Arshavin has to have a big game imo

And when he comes on I reckon Eduardo will cause them serious problems.

Fancy van Persie to score first around the 20 minute mark but then expect it to be a tight match after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

I was really impressed with Djourou in pre-season. I remember when Wenger signed him he said he could play in the middle of the park aswell. Not sure about that one. If Fab's is out then Diaby will deffo play, in that case it will be Arshavin who will be running the show. Can't wait for this. I have a very good feeling the man of the match will be Bendtner (or Arshavin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Don't know much about scottish football -- my guess it's a little like league of ireland. :P. I'm confident but would be happy with a 0-0 draw.

Gtd: Wilshire on bench.....

Anyone think that Celtic will be frightened by Arsenal's counter attack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Anyone think that Celtic will be frightened by Arsenal's counter attack?

Think Celtic will be ****ing terrified everytime they get the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Can honestly only see a comfortable win for Arsenal.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Can honestly only see a comfortable win for Arsenal.

At the Emirates I reckon we'll put a few past them. But Parkhead really is a fortress, it will be a very close game and I wouldn't be suprised if Celtic win. I still think we'll go through though.

• Advertisement

And for those who say the fans will intimidate Arsenal is totally wrong,
    Yes Celtic do have die hard fans but Arsenal play in stadiums packed to the
    brim every week and take it in their stride.

And for those who say the fans will intimidate Arsenal is totally wrong,
    Yes Celtic do have die hard fans but Arsenal play in stadiums packed to the
    brim every week and take it in their stride.

So do all the other big teams Celtic have turned over at PArkhead over the years in all fairness.

celtic are 9/1 to win 1-0.
    might be worth a few bob?....

newbie2 wrote: »
    celtic are 9/1 to win 1-0.
    might be worth a few bob?....

Arsenal know how important an away goal is, and they will score that's for sure. That's Celtic's problem really isn't it, making sure they don't give an away goal away! It will definitely play on their minds.

YEAH, but I'm watching it with my old man. We've never won when I've watched a game in his house. He hasn't even got HD....... 1-0 for sure.

Sorry

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

newbie2 wrote: »
    He hasn't even got HD.......
    Perish the thought!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Was really looking forward to this until the 6-1 drubbing of Everton, now I am a litle bit scared of what Arsenal will do. Nevertheless, I will still enjoy this.

Note for anyone heading to the game, get there early as there will be even more conjestion on the roads as U2 are playing Hampden which is only a few miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Not sure about Brown starting in the middle, N'Guemo and Donati seem to be the preferred pairing so far although Brown is getting back to 100% still.

Arsenal looked impressive at the weekend.

Looking forward to it now. Celtic to shade it 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

If Arsenal get at least one away goal I will be happy, i think we're gonna win by 2 :)

• Advertisement

Tough game tonight, think we will batter them at the emirates though :p.
    Have An accumulator bet on Arsenal and a couple of other teams to win :D.
    You gonna watch the game tonight thorbarry? :).

Tough game tonight, think we will batter them at the emirates though :p.
    Have An accumulator bet on Arsenal and a couple of other teams to win :D.
    You gonna watch the game tonight thorbarry? :).

nice, I won a tenner on the game at the weekend. pretty much paid for my pints while watchin it in the pub :D

Dam straight I'm gonna watch it, glad its on Tv3, I can relax with a few cans after a hard days work ;) Even tho i think we'll win, Celtic are well capable of nicking something, but as a Gunner I cant allow myself to think like that, 2 goals by Arshavin and Bendtner thats my prediction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Was really looking forward to this until the 6-1 drubbing of Everton, now I am a litle bit scared of what Arsenal will do. Nevertheless, I will still enjoy this.

Note for anyone heading to the game, get there early as there will be even more conjestion on the roads as U2 are playing Hampden which is only a few miles away.

You cant even go to a match in Glasgow without Bono messin' it up.

thorbarry wrote: »
    nice, I won a tenner on the game at the weekend. pretty much paid for my pints while watchin it in the pub :D

Dam straight I'm gonna watch it, glad its on Tv3, I can relax with a few cans after a hard days work ;) Even tho i think we'll win, Celtic are well capable of nicking something, but as a Gunner I cant allow myself to think like that, 2 goals by Arshavin and Bendtner thats my prediction
    Nice Nice ;), I llike the sort of football Mowbary sides play but I think Arsenal will be way to quick, hope Fabregas is passed fit, he'll have them running scared :p. Think Bendtner might pop up with with a head ;). Really impressed me in per-season and the match against Everton.

yea, Bendtner did well in the run up to the first goal the other day, good dribbling skills.. West Brom did have morals last season, they tried to play nice football, and they stayed away from the Sam Allerdice approach (just go out to stop the other team from playing football, because they cant play themselves), fair enough it didnt get them anywhere, but its nice to see.... With a good squad, he can do well at Celtic.. but yea i think the speed of arsenal and quick passing may upset Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

A quick note to all the over-confident Arsenal fans

What do all the following teams have in common?

Manchester United
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Shakhtar
    Villarreal
    AC Milan
    Barcelona
    Benfica
    Lyon
    Benfica
    Stuttgart
    Porto
    Shakhtar
    Rosenborg
    Basle
    Suduva
    Blackburn
    Celta Vigo
    Kaunas
    MTK Hungaria
    Anderlecht
    Teplice
    Artmedia
    Copenhagen

All beaten by Celtic in the last number of years...

There's no doubtng you have a better squad than us however sometimes the sum of all the parts is bigger than the sum of all the individual parts put together.

I think you guys will go through but don't under estimate us. Bigger and better teams have been put to the sword at Celtic Park in the last few years.

Rain just started here

Manchester United
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Shakhtar
    Villarreal
    AC Milan
    Barcelona
    Benfica
    Lyon
    Benfica
    Stuttgart
    Porto
    Shakhtar
    Rosenborg
    Basle
    Suduva
    Blackburn
    Celta Vigo
    Kaunas
    MTK Hungaria
    Anderlecht
    Teplice
    Artmedia
    Copenhagen

There's no doubtng you have a better squad than us however sometimes the sum of all the parts is bigger than the sum of all the individual parts put together.

I think you guys will go through but don't under estimate us. Bigger and better teams have been put to the sword at Celtic Park in the last few years.

Fair play, you beat Blackburn ;)

Manchester United
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Shakhtar
    Villarreal
    AC Milan
    Barcelona
    Benfica
    Lyon
    Benfica
    Stuttgart
    Porto
    Shakhtar
    Rosenborg
    Basle
    Suduva
    Blackburn
    Celta Vigo
    Kaunas
    MTK Hungaria
    Anderlecht
    Teplice
    Artmedia
    Copenhagen

I wasn't bothered looking up a list but that's precisely what I'm worried about

• Advertisement

Fair play, you beat Blackburn ;)

Believe me mate, that one was sweet!

Men against Bhoys!

Believe me mate, that one was sweet!

Men against Bhoys!

haha, Yea I do think Arsenal will win, but i aint underestimating Celtic, or the atmosphere at Parkhead... but i think if we can silence the crowd, get in there early in the game it will be a lot easier

haha, Yea I do think Arsenal will win, but i aint underestimating Celtic, or the atmosphere at Parkhead... but i think if we can silence the crowd, get in there early in the game it will be a lot easier

Remember we have played more games than you so should be up to the speed of the game immediately. We will come out playing a high energy high tempo hit em hard type of game. Here's hoping that the ref is a fan of "meaty" challenges cos there's bound to be plenty!

Arshavin to run a muck tonight :D great to have him play in Europe :).
    Match is big to both teams finances so hopefully the best team wins and
    it's not due to a bad decision by the ref.

I can tell you something now, I will love it if I can come on here tomorrow and use that quote thingy - love it!

Have to head to work now so

Come on you Gooners!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Even at Parkhead I can only see a comfortable win for the Gooners but i'd love to see Celtic beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Here's hoping that the ref is a fan of "meaty" challenges cos there's bound to be plenty!

The referee is Massimo Busacca who refereed the Champions League Final this year, so he must be held in high regard. Celtic/Scotland have had indifferent previous experience with this guy, with Gordon Strachan complaining about the colour of the refs jersey clashing with his side (they lost that game 1-0 to Benfica;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can see a 3-1 Arsenal win on the cards. Celtic will try play football and I can just see Arshavin and the likes tearing them to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't Celtic lose to some Russian team at home in the last round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

First real high stakes match of the year

Arsenal have started quick out of the blocks on Sat with 6 goals..attacking wise looking good..

imo Celtic are a bit lucky to be here ..will cause any team problems at home..but i see Arsenal winning tie both legs..

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Didn't Celtic lose to some Russian team at home in the last round?

1-0 to Dinamo Moscow in a game we dominated.

Beat them 2-0 in their patch though...

Loving the over confidence from the Arsenal fans - keep it coming!!!

romah wrote: »
    imo Celtic are a bit lucky to be here.

How do you work that one out?

1-0 to Dinamo Moscow in a game we dominated.

Beat them 2-0 in their patch though...

Loving the over confidence from the Arsenal fans - keep it coming!!!
    Right to be over confident I think ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Arsenal to win 3-1. We'll just be too strong offensively.

romah wrote: »

imo Celtic are a bit lucky to be here

Please explain?

Do you mean that they are not their league champions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Please explain?

Do you mean that they are not their league champions?

Probably a comment related to the fact that such a weak league gets the opportunity to send two teams to the CL. I think the group stages would be the lesser without the likes of Celtic and their tremendous supporters, however as an Arsenal supporter I have no choice but to hope they are knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'll go with a draw. 2-2. Arsenal didn't play as well on Saturday as some people think, they looked a bit shaky at the back up until they went 2-0 and quickly afterwards 3-0 up. Celtic will probably score from a set piece.

Arshavin didn't play great, and I missed most of the second half... but Fabregas was nowhere near as good as the papers are saying. Song and Denilson did play fairly well, but they strike me as the type who'll play well when things are going well in general. When things aren't going so well their heads will drop. Hopefully Arshavin will click and bag a couple.

Right to be over confident I think ;).

One freak result against a cold Everton would do that I suppose. ;)

Arsenal will have a lot of room to move the ball around tonight at Celtic Park. It's going to be a massacre. Sorry Celtic fans (and I am one myself) but they are going to be obliterated tonight. I see at least 3 away goals for Arsenal maybe even 4!!! Come on the Gunners. Also tonight's ref will not take any ott challenges and someone could very well be sent off too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Should be a cracking game hope O'Dea plays well if he does start ahead of Loovens who is a doubt with a knee injury,Mowbray obviously rates him making him captain during preseason and then captain against Aberdeen. I just feel arsenal will have too much class for Celtic over the two legs and fully expect them to go through but anything can happen on the night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement