Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic V Arsenal FC 1st Leg - Parkhead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I'd prefer Celtic over any other team except Arsenal.

What about Wolves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

SantryRed wrote: »
    What about Wolves?
    Only like them being promoted as I have a relative over their so i'm going to see Arsenal play them away :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal are fantastic to watch, hope they go on and do well in the competition now.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Called the result, 2 nil Arsenal. Quids in now with Paddy Power. Celtic were very poor, bar the scuffed Brown shot they didnt have an effort on goal all night. Very poor. Very disappointed with them and a very disapponting night for Scottish football. Over to the Scottish Champions now to restore some pride for Scottish football in CL

Congrats Arsenal. Fair play to you and your supporters in Celtic Park. They certainly made themselves heard and seemed to enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Brewster wrote: »
    Congrats Arsenal. Fair play to you and your supporters in Celtic Park. They certainly made themselves heard and seemed to enjoy themselves.

The away fans are always great, far better than at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Only saw the first half on my break so can't really comment overall whether we deserved it or not with the way the two goals came. What I saw of the first half was fairly evenly matched with Arsenal having more possession.

Absolutely delighted with the result

jasonorr wrote: »
    The away fans are always great, far better than at home!

Like the fans of most big teams Jason....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Did anyone hear the Celtic fan on around 83 mins he shouts out something like... 'Cmon Celtic, this mob are sh$%e!!'

Interesting comment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Like the fans of most big teams Jason....

ziggy wrote: »

Zig, I call it as I see it as always. Predicted a 2 nil, what I didnt predict was such a lame and disappointing Celtic performance in front of their own fans....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

In regards to Celtics new brand of football,they are very unlucky in that they probably couldnt have come up against a worse team to play against bar Barca.

The would have done better against Chelski,Utd and Pool playing like that imo.

Forgetting quality in the teams but the actaul styles against each other.

How so? Are you saying possession football suffers when matched against itself?

re TV3 commentary - have to laugh at Cascarino and Keowne criticising Nguemo and not mentioning Donatti at all. Personally i think Nguemo has plenty of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Called the result, 2 nil Arsenal. Quids in now with Paddy Power. Celtic were very poor, bar the scuffed Brown shot they didnt have an effort on goal all night. Very poor. Very disappointed with them and a very disapponting night for Scottish football. Over to the Scottish Champions now to restore some pride for Scottish football in CL

You're deffo on the wind up mate, not just on this post but all the time when you post about Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As an Arsenal fan I'm happy with the result. however, it means the 2nd leg probably wont be much of a contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Disappointed by that - enough to drive you to drink!

Good to see Brewster (the guy who apparantly only follows Rugby) being the voice of Scottish football tonight. I would much prefer if you would Get To Falkirk

Galvasean wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan I'm happy with the result. however, it means the 2nd leg probably wont be much of a contest.

Mate its all over. Not even the most optimistic Celtic fan, including the one who shouts on Tv at Arsenal "this mob are sh$%e", believes they have a chance now.

Good to see Brewster (the guy who apparantly only follows Rugby) being the voice of Scottish football tonight. I would much prefer if you would Get To Falkirk

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

In regards to Celtics new brand of football,they are very unlucky in that they probably couldnt have come up against a worse team to play against bar Barca.

The would have done better against Chelski,Utd and Pool playing like that imo.

Forgetting quality in the teams but the actaul styles against each other.

That's interesting i also thought Celtic's players and management sounded resigned to defeat after the draw.

Do you think Tony Mowbray would have preferred to play Chelski,Utd or Pool.

Mate its all over. Not even the most optimistic Celtic fan, including the one who shouts on Tv at Arsenal "this mob are sh$%e", believes they have a chance now.

I'm just covering my bases. I dont want someone quoting me after leg two when Arsenal have 3 men sent off and lose 4-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Galvasean wrote: »
    You're an ARSEnal fan? Aw man!

The team plays excellent football though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Zig, I call it as I see it as always. Predicted a 2 nil, what I didnt predict was such a lame and disappointing Celtic performance in front of their own fans....

Cut this nonesense out, a second warning will not be forthcoming. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Very pleased with the result but we still need to be very careful though. We can't afford to take it easy in the second leg and I hope Wenger does not rest players ahead of the weekend game against Man Utd after the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Get a grip Brewster they matched them for 45 minutes. Fair enough Arsenal were classier over those 45 minutes but they're Arsenal. Rangers would have sat back and hoofed the ball all night long.
    Did anyone hear the Celtic fan on around 83 mins he shouts out something like... 'Cmon Celtic, this mob are sh$%e!!'

Interesting comment!
    Have you ever been to a football match?

I'm really pissed off that goal went in off Gallas. Celtic would have went in 0-0 at half time and almost everyone would have said they deserved it. That's all I want. Accurate assessment. The journalists of English football like Mark Lawrenson were watching Arsenal tonight. It's impossible for them to make an accurate judgement on Celtic's players when they're doing that. I couldn't tell you in the slightest how well Denilson or Song played for Arsenal because I wasn't watching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I can tell you something now, I will love it if I can come on here tomorrow and use that quote thingy - love it!

Work away buddy :D I predicted a 2 nil win for the Arsenal, looks like most Arsenal fans got it right.. Celtic were quite poor, I felt Arsenal didnt even really have to get going at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Celtic are always some what dissapointing in European football. IMO it's like they play with a small team mentality.

Their quite hurried in their passes and generally do poorly in maintaining possession, if they calmed down I'd reckon they'd do a whole lot better.

Some of the credit for their great home record has to go to the fans though. What a cauldron of noise, almost intimidates some teams into submission.

veXual wrote: »
    Celtic are always some what dissapointing in European football.

veXual wrote: »
    Some of the credit for their great home record has to go to the fans though.

Bit of a patronising contradiction there I think.

thorbarry wrote: »
    Work away buddy :D I predicted a 2 nil win for the Arsenal, looks like most Arsenal fans got it right.. Celtic were quite poor, I felt Arsenal didnt even really have to get going at all

I thought Celtic played quite well as a team whilst too many of our players didn't put in great individual performances.

Our downfall was our centre halves... well Caldwell anyway, Loovens played well.

I don't think any Arsenal fan has come on this thread yet and said "we got two very lucky goals" - one of your players scored with his back for Christ sake and then Caldwell put through his own net at a time when an eqialiser looked quite likely.

A draw last night would have been a fair result, even though Arsenal played the better football you struggled to create chances and were limited to long range shots. Celtic had the two best chances of the game - Brown in the first half and was the second scuffed shot along the groud Brown as well? Brown looked like he was taken out of it during his first effort and later on in the game the ref waved play on when the hand definitely went to ball in the box which should have resulted in a peno.

The second leg is merely a formality now and Arsenal are such a good team to watch that I hope they go far in the competition.

To sum it up:
    Arsenal were the better team without creating chances and rode their luck big time to get two fluky goals.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Get a grip Brewster they matched them for 45 minutes. Fair enough Arsenal were classier over those 45 minutes but they're Arsenal. Rangers would have sat back and hoofed the ball all night long.

Have you ever been to a football match?

I'm really pissed off that goal went in off Gallas. Celtic would have went in 0-0 at half time and almost everyone would have said they deserved it. That's all I want. Accurate assessment. The journalists of English football like Mark Lawrenson were watching Arsenal tonight. It's impossible for them to make an accurate judgement on Celtic's players when they're doing that. I couldn't tell you in the slightest how well Denilson or Song played for Arsenal because I wasn't watching them.

Eirebhoy, re-reading my post, maybe it wasn't clear. I was very disappointed in terms of Celtic's threat going forward. They only had the one half chance with Brown's shot all game. Teams with better defences than Arsenal have gone to Celtic Park and have struggled at times to cope with Celtic's intensity. Most pundits feel Arsenal can be got at especially at set pieces, yet your set pieces were poor especially from that Fox lad. Of course they contained Arsenal in first half and naturally tired a bit in 2nd half. I genuinely thought Celtic gave Arsenal too much respect. Celtic have a 3.8m player on the bench in Marco Fortune, why wasn't he playing to try and unsettle the Arsenal back four?? Scott McDonald, a poacher was left on the bench and who had scored against United, and the Greek Samaras was playing. Why exactly did he offer last night?? Samaras was never a goal threat last night, McDonald or Fortune may well have been. How can you sign a 3.8m player then not play him?? What sort of message does it send to Fortuné? Your only good enough for SPL matches??

Arsenal were the better team without creating chances and rode their luck big time to get two fluky goals.

First goal was lucky, second goal was a very good low cross into the 6 yard box... Caldwell had to stretch to get a foot to it.. A good cross like that is not a lucky goal, if Caldwell did not hit it Bendtner would have. If you hit the ball low and hard into the 6 yard box, no matter who the ball hits, its not lucky

The first goal, now, fair enough it was lucky... but c'mon, Celtics game plan was to stop Arsenal playing in the midfield, the only way they could effectively do this was to do crappy little fouls on the Arsenal players. Eventually one of these free kicks was going to produce something, so luck has something to do with the goal, and Celtics crap fouls is another

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol at Celtic fans bemoaning Rangers' tactics of sitting back and hoofing.

At least they might have got a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Des wrote: »
    lol at Celtic fans bemoaning Rangers' tactics of sitting back and hoofing.

At least they might have got a result.

What exactly about that amuses you Des?? :confused:

One Celtic fan mentioned it here, so a bit of a sweeping statement on your behalf do you not think, and apart from the fact that it was a correct statement.

And no I doubt very much that they would have gotten a result, maybe Brewster would disagree though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

A draw last night would have been a fair result

Redicilous comment. We were by far the better team and deserved the win regardless of how the goals came.

If you think a draw was a fair result you must have been watching a different match.

There's nothing wrong with getting behind your team and being a loyal supporter but when it's distorts your view of reality then it's time to cop on and accept things for what they really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I don't think any Arsenal fan has come on this thread yet and said "we got two very lucky goals" -

The goals were lucky, but when watching both of them on replays, they could have gone in anway.
    1st one , deflection, keeper wasn't moving and was watching Gallas' run.
    It was going to the keepers left anyway.

2nd goal, probably would have gone in as Bendnter was there waiting to hit it before Caldwell did the business.

Lucky goals, or poor Celtic play....you decide.;)

Celtic fans say they like watching Arsenal as they play similar type of football.
    Could have fooled me last night, looked like the usual bottom three playing "hang on for dear life" football.

Sure Gallas meant that goal :pac::pac:.

Redicilous comment. We were by far the better team and deserved the win regardless of how the goals came.

If you think a draw was a fair result you must have been watching a different match.

There's nothing wrong with getting behind your team and being a loyal supporter but when it's distorts your view of reality then it's time to cop on and accept things for what they really are.

LOL!

Brilliant!

Arsenal were the better team... as admitted, but what chances did you create bar the two fluky goals? Boruc didn't have a save to make in the entire game. Celtic should have had a penalty but didn't, now there's three game turning pieces of luck that Arsenal got. As a result I stand over a draw being a fair result due to the lack of chances Arsenal created.

LOL!

Brilliant!

Arsenal were the better team... as admitted, but what chances did you create bar the two fluky goals? .

Where was the flowing passing game that Celtic always (allegedly) play?
    Regardless, why do we need to create chances when the opposition hand it to you on a plate.

A draw a fair result? your having a larf.:pac:

as admitted, but what chances did you create bar the two fluky goals?

Seriously dude, how can you say the second goal was fluky, i said this already and i stand by it
    First goal was lucky, second goal was a very good low cross into the 6 yard box... Caldwell had to stretch to get a foot to it.. A good cross like that is not a lucky goal, if Caldwell did not hit it Bendtner would have. If you hit the ball low and hard into the 6 yard box, no matter who the ball hits, its not lucky

even still diaby did well, and found Clicy totally unmarked just outside the edge of the box

Arsenal didn't preform tonight but yet we still managed to get the win, think it might be a different story at the Emirates if Arsenal preform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'll fully admit our first goal was very fluky.

As for the second Clichy did well to put it there, when you turn a defence like that there's always the chance the ball will go in off someone.
    That said it is horrible when it happens to your team, like last year against Chelsea when Djourou put it past Almunia.

What exactly about that amuses you Des?? :confused:

One Celtic fan mentioned it here, so a bit of a sweeping statement on your behalf do you not think, and apart from the fact that it was a correct statement.

And no I doubt very much that they would have gotten a result, maybe Brewster would disagree though :rolleyes:

Why Rangers were brought into this conversation I'll never know. Of course there is an irony in Celtic fans feeling vindincated that they could contain Arsenal in the first half. When Rangers contained teams such as Barcelona in the season they got to Uefa cup final, there were anti-football campaigns circulating in cyberland! Completely ridiculous yet understandable such is nature of OF rivalry. When you are not a supporter of either team, its gas just to sit back and laugh at this as Des has done. For the record, from what I know of Rangers team I dont believe they would have got a result against Arsenal Premierstone, however its not relevant to even discuss this I would have thought??

For the record, from what I know of Rangers team I dont believe they would have got a result against Arsenal Premierstone, however its not relevant to even discuss this I would have thought??

Agreed.
    Just seems like a "kick em when their down" comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

What the hell has happened to this thread? It seems to have descended into madness. Celtic will do very well in the Europa League, at least I hope so as this tie is beyond them now imo. Well I was very impressed with them for a while. Even when Arsenal kept control of the ball the Celtic players were doing the upmost best to take off them. Even though they couldn't Arsenal still kept the ball and to work very hard themselves to retain it.

thorbarry wrote: »
    Seriously dude, how can you say the second goal was fluky, i said this already and i stand by it

Just looked fluke up in the dictionary and according to it a fluke is:

"an accidental advantage"

That sums up exactly your second goal... unless you somehow think that Caldwell scored purposely???

An unintentional OG is most definitely a fluke.

Wenger singled McGeady out as outstanding. Good to hear.

• Advertisement

unless you somehow think that Caldwell scored purposely???

Well it was the only constructive contribution he had to that game.
    Please bring him to the Emirates......:pac:

Why Rangers were brought into this conversation I'll never know.
    Ask yourself...

"Over to the Scottish Champions now to restore some pride for Scottish football in CL"

Rangers kept the ball in the corner of the Nou Camp pitch when they were losing. Says it all.

Messi called Rangers an anti-football team. Celtic weren't anti-football last night, just outclassed.

That sums up exactly your second goal... unless you somehow think that Caldwell scored purposely???

Ok well when you use the term Fluke, it implies that we did not deserve the goal, or do anything to score it.... Celtic defended terribly for the goal, no one picked up the run of Clichy, no one cut out Diaby and got the ball of him. The ball was too far away from Caldwell for him to make any good contact with it. Crap defending, a good cross into the 6 yard box, Arsenal deserved the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well you create your own "accidental advantages" in this game. If it hadn't been for Diaby's excellent run and lay-off and Clichy's superb cross it wouldn't have happened.

DoireNod wrote: »
    You're an ARSEnal fan? Aw man!
    !

Didn't you know Galvasean is an anagram of Arsenal?
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    Wenger singled McGeady out as outstanding. Good to hear.

Mceady was definately the pick of Celtic's players. Pretty much every threatening move they made was orchestrated by him. Glad he's Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement