Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck in a "short" rut!

• 18-08-2009 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've gotten stuck in a very "short" rut. I'm 5'6 but my legs are short for my height, noticeably so. Usually I'm not that bothered but over the last few months I've been in a clothes/style rut. Wearing very casual/old jeans and tee with a cardi/hoody.

I've decided it's time to rejoin the presentable living, and update my look and generally wear clothes that make me look my age (21). So I need to know what to wear!

Before my rut I wore mid thigh skirts with a plain 3/4 length sleeves top or a dress with cardi and flat boots. Now I love my heels, and they do add the coveted extra inches but I need to wear flats alot for practical purposes. I love shirts but most I have are long, which make my legs shorter. What I was thinking I have no idea.:rolleyes:

I don't have the legs/porportions for leggings/skinnies. It feels like I know what not to wera but not what to wear, if that makes sense.

General body shape = brick if that makes sense, 5'6, short legs, large bust, size 10. No idea how to dress it. :o:o Although I lack style, I do like rock/gothic and preppy. I'm very confused! :rolleyes: All advice welcome! Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ggirl

I'm guessing you mean you need flats for work or something? but for going out maybe you could get straight leg jeans. You sound like you have a nice figure and should make the most of it. Bring a pair of heels you'd wear when going out with you when buying the jeans and get a pair that drop to the toe of the shoes but don't drag on the ground. That will lengthen your legs and make them look as if they are the few inches longer than they actually are. Straight leg jeans are flattering on slim figures and less dated than bootlegs (admittedly an old favourite of mine since they flatter almost all of us!!). I'd also avoid long tops which shorten your legs. Try tops that end near the waistband of your jeans, you can get lots of shirts like that or, if you have a decent tummy, you can tuck a slim fit shirt it. Wear above the knee skirts and avoid anything too baggy that swamps you. Also, avoid anything that ends at your shins - skirts / boots etc. - they cut off your legs and make them look really short. These are just some tips but I am only 4'11" so I know what it is like to dress to make yourself look taller!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

5' here, I know all about stumpy-looking legs.

Skirts with high waists and a 'bell' shape (if you GIS 'Miu Miu Kirsten Dunst' you'll see what I mean by 'bell'). High waists have a corset effect, and tucking tops into them shortens your torso and thus makes your legs appear longer. The bell shape hides where your arse ends and legs begin so for all anyone knows you've got legs up to your navel.

Advertisement