Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to Play Halo:

• 18-08-2009 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Well I think its about time if we posted some tips for people when it comes to kicking ass in Halo. Obviously much is down to pure reflexes, but some of it can be taught so people get into the right habits to hone their skills, particularly with ODST fast approaching. So post any helpful things you've learned in Halo (any game type) for others. I'll start!

-Never underestimate the power of the BR, it is probably the best weapon in the game. (Took me a long time to figure this out with boardsies help)
    -ALWAYS aim for the head.
    -Never underestimate the power of a humble frag grenade/sticky, its what the pros use to instantly tip the scales in their favour when you have a one-on-one shoot off.
    -Sit back and watch people's patterns, everyone has them. Try and look out for people charging eachother for a beat down and pick the two of them off in the last second for a double kill.
    -Never betray anybody on purpose for a weapon, it is the most annoying thing I've come across, that and quitters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

wow!
    You must work for bungie to know all these super-secret cheats!
    I can't believe i never tried using grenades before!
    And i am definetly going to stop betraying people for more pistol ammo!
    And aiming for the HEAD???
    Never even thought of that!
    I figured the big toe of the armour was the weak spot!
    Genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    wow!
    Genius!

Twat, learn to shut your mouth, the chap was just trying to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

The first post is fairly standard advice, here is some more though.

1. Switch your controller settings to bumper jumper, its confusing at first but being able to jump and aim independently is a huge advantage.

2. If in a 1v1 situation out in the open never throw a grenade you will die. Run around a corner, turn around and throw a grenade at the corner. He will run on to it and have no shield.

3. If you are under sniper fire jump and click the crouch button rapidly, it makes you quiet awkward to hit. This also applies to br duels.

4. Jump and crouching allows you to reach higher areas/further jumps as he tucks his legs in. Always jump crouch.

5. If somebody is rushing you with a AR jump backwards and fire at him, 9/10 times he will run out of ammo as the clip is so small. The beatdown usually compensates for this but if your moving back you have the advantage.

6. If you are outnumbered never switch target(unless for an assassination)

There is aload of other stupid stuff like using grav lifts to close of doorways and stuff but there not really important :pac:
    My gamertag is JesusJim if anyone wants to team up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭madmac187

1. Switch your controller settings to bumper jumper, its confusing at first but being able to jump and aim independently is a huge advantage.

2. If in a 1v1 situation out in the open never throw a grenade you will die. Run around a corner, turn around and throw a grenade at the corner. He will run on to it and have no shield.

3. If you are under sniper fire jump and click the crouch button rapidly, it makes you quiet awkward to hit. This also applies to br duels.

4. Jump and crouching allows you to reach higher areas/further jumps as he tucks his legs in. Always jump crouch.

5. If somebody is rushing you with a AR jump backwards and fire at him, 9/10 times he will run out of ammo as the clip is so small. The beatdown usually compensates for this but if your moving back you have the advantage.

There is aload of other stupid stuff like using grav lifts to close of doorways and stuff but there not really important :pac:

Dude GI AARON is my tag haven't been on it in a while I have sweet fa irish friends on it may have a game sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Just tried that 'Bumper Jumper' controller setting.
    It's a little strange to start, but it's actually a really good tip.
    Thanks, man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭andy g

hey man:D im looking to play with a few good irish players add me my gamertag is zXz aNdY o8 zXz thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Play MLG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Any tips for swords?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Play defense!! when playing capture the flag or one bomb while everyone else is rushing off, stay back and play D.

Maps like standoff and avalanche have a certain rhythm you should get into when a game starts e.g. Avalanche start - teleport - Sticky nades/bubble shield - rockets then Grav lift - invisible - and try for lazer. Back to the highground and commence pwonage.

Also Play team snipers and MLG

Swords are a pain in the ass, the only tip iv ever had is to hit the trigger MILES before you think you have to. Iv seen dudes fly accross the room to kill me.

silvine wrote: »
    Any tips for swords?

In a sword 1v1, I like to jump just before the reticule goes red. Also, after the initial lunge, you should start pressing the melee button once the duel begins. It's much faster (but only if he's close enough).

If you're playing swords in Lone Wolves, you can try and stick people from long range and sneak up on people who are in a sword duel (always approach from the side, though).

Gamertag: Narrruc (3 Rs) I can teach you a thing or two about a thing or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Heres a trick for swords, when someone lungs at you press melee instead of lung. Your swords will clash and then use your lung to finish them as his still has to recharge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SoulReaperDan1

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    wow!
    Genius!

Flaming Fail: Sarcasm, well known as the lowest form of wit :cool:

Yeah I always find melee then lunge with the sword works. Anyone any other map specific tips? A friend told me about the gap in the roof of the sword room in The Pit for getting out someone that hides in there with the sword, just lob a few grenades through it.

Flaming Fail: Sarcasm, well known as the lowest form of wit :cool:

Yeah I always find melee then lunge with the sword works. Anyone any other map specific tips? A friend told me about the gap in the roof of the sword room in The Pit for getting out someone that hides in there with the sword, just lob a few grenades through it.

Pit: Get rockets and camo. Don't throw your nades too early when going for rockets: I see people throwing them from their starting spawn but what they don't realize is that the other team is also at their starting spawn so it's a waste of grenades. A basic Pit set up is have one guy on your tower with sniper, one guy training and the other two around greenbox and rockets. Never be aggressive on this map when the other team has a sniper.

Guardian: Sniper tower is the place to be. If you spawn snipe side, don't grab the overshield straight away. Wait for people to lift over, then grab it just before they land and make use of the 3 second invincibility. If you don't spawn there, make sure you get camo and shotgun. If you want to break a snipe tower set up, wait for camo, grab shotgun and make a push with your whole team. Never go down low, though because they will block you off with a million grenades.

Construct: You must stay up top. Controlling the purple lifts and the sword area is crucial. Avoid going top gold. Never chase kills that run away into basement unless you really need it and the rest of your team is up top. If the opposite team has full control of the top, camp in the basement beside the lifts. Once they come down, go up the lifts immediately. This might help you reestablish top control. The laser is somewhat underrated on this map. There are also maulers on the map too. A quick way of getting into the sword area from open floor is by walking up the two legs.

Narrows: Top control again is crucial. Whoever has the sniper should go into the attic and put body shots on people for his teammates to kill. This is a tough map because your opponents will have a tendancy to spawn behind you so you have to stay on your toes. Don't lose the sniper top mid and never ever carry rockets and sniper at the same time.

Foundry: Get rockets, get sniper (both if possible). It's that simple. Once you get them, stay around the rocket spawn area. Shotgun is not worth it. Avoid losing rockets because they can destroy a set up instantly on this map. Stay up top and at the back of the map.

Standoff: Laser is the key on this map. You must get it before hopping in a warthog. Play passively if they have an invisible guy with rockets and if they have laser. If they have a warthog, you must take it out. NEVER LET ANYONE get behind your base or into your base.

Blackout
    : Get the sniper. Get the sword (and shotgun if possible). Grab the regenerator. Stay on BR 3 (the highest tower.) We usually have some camp with the sword in the middle of the large tower or the very bottom. We then send someone into the room with the basketball hoop to flank and the other two stay on top of the tower with the regenerator shooting anything that moves. Breaking a BR tower set up is difficult on this map because it's an unbalanced piece of poo (especially with AR starts). If it's BR starts, send all your teammates across top mid and charge up BR 3.

Orbital
    : Stay at rocket spawn area. Regenerators and maulers are very useful on this map. People always spawn behind you so be ready for it. If you're in a stalemate in one of the corriders send or two guys to flank. Rocket launcher and equipment control will usually get you a win on this map.

The key to winning anygame is communication and teamshooting, though.

And that's all I can be bothered to write.

Tip for Standoff

The moment you spawn be pressing forward. Grab the shotty just outside the entrance and head straight for rockets, fire a rocket through the gap in the rocks that will hit the other teams warthog if your lucky (and i usually am) your gna get a double kill if not funk it you dont have to worry about their warthog.
    Use the other rocket to clear your way to lazer and then head back to the roof of your base for maximum lazerage.

Warthog control can make or break you on this map. Its funny cus i hated this map when it first came out and now its one of my favorites, if your playing slayer the needler can be serious help on standoff aswell if your BR skill isent up to much.

Multiflag on standoff and avalanche FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Some good tips here guys, anyone up for a game later tonight or over the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

also with the sniper rifel keep the right analouge pressed down when ur aiming,that way you dont need to double click the anlouge stick when ur sniping from close range :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

I find holding down the right analogue is a bad idea, the pressure of having to hold it down really throws off your aim and you cant be as quick.

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    I find holding down the right analogue is a bad idea, the pressure of having to hold it down really throws off your aim and you cant be as quick.

Holding down the right button is generally only used for '"quick scoping". Basically, you only do it when the sniper reticule is lined up anyway and you want that extra bit of accuracy. And if you happen to miss, you won't be scoped in making things a lot less awkward. Here are some examples.

I also stumbled across a grenade point compilation. Although a lot of them are impractical, there are some very good ones. Watch it here.

Check this out live action ODST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Definetly, Standoff ftw, in my opinion its the best team map. But these are my tips with the sword. Bumper Jumper is essential.

1. In Sword free for all, try and use the RB attack more often, it locks on in half the distance of the lunge but attacks twice as fast.

2. Stick shotty guys.

3. Only lunge if your enemy is facing or running away, all other times use RB.

4. In a Sword duel, continue to hit RB while keeping the reticule on your enemy. Which can be tough in that close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

-ALWAYS aim for the head..

No offence, but no your wrong.
    When using the BR, aim for the body for the first 3 shots, as the BR has a random spread of its bullets, so you aim for the largest mass of the player, until you then aim for the head with the last shot - the 4th one.

That's only if you hit with your first 3 shots obv.

If you are a new player, play the campaign on normal at first, then legendary, then play Lone wolves to get used to the game online at first.
    When you get to around level 30, start playing doubles and concentrate on teamwork with your buddy, then start playing team games, and get used to calling out.

The most compeditive playlist is MLG, so if you really wnat to be good, play this, its also the settings used for most tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciano12

:P:P:P:P:P

Advertisement