Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual core on a 32bit OS

• 18-08-2009 3:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I am currently running Vista home 32bit as my OS.
    My processor is an Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66GHZ.
    I am led to beleave that the CPU is not using all of its power as it is a 64bit CPU and i am running a 32bit OS. Would i notice much (if any) of a performance boost if i upgrade to Vista 64bit?

Im allready not getting full performance from my RAM (maxed at 3096mb, have just over 4GB) as im running a 32 bit, so im thinking of upgrading.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Youd notice a boost. but also some compatibility issues with older programs. Unavoidable really.

Anyway unless you have a retail vista license youd have to buy a new license to get 64 bit. You may as well wait the very short remainder of time until Windows 7 launches, and get the 64 bit retail of that. It previously went on preorder for just $50 and some industry bloggers suspect Microsoft will run a similar price cut special in the future. The family pack (3 Home Retail licences) will go for $150 at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Ouch, 150 :P

Just wondering: I have a lisence for my Vista and heard that you can get a free upgrade disk. Ive pretty much gotten 50-50 responses from anyone i ask. Im using a Dell (i know.....i know....) and rang them but they had never heard of the free upgrade. In the states however you can just get one sent by Dell to your house. This hardly seems fair :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if you bought after June of this year, you should have received a free upgrade.

If you bought a laptop before this time, then

a) You have an OEM license, and are not entitled to a 64-bit upgrade.

b) You are not entitled to a Windows 7 free Upgrade.

You can Download the Windows 7 Release Candidsate now until the 20th of August (T-Minus 3 days!) and thats free, but will be deactivated in March. At that point you will need to install a new OS anyway.

Hey Guys,

Just bought a new PC with an intel core2 quad q9550 and 4 Gb of RAM. I am trying to decide what OS to run. I don't want to offend anyone but will not be running a Vista system. Until Windows 7, is my only option XP Pro 64 bit as otherwise I would only be able to use 3Gb of my RAM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Hey Guys,

Just bought a new PC with an intel core2 quad q9550 and 4 Gb of RAM. I am trying to decide what OS to run. I don't want to offend anyone but will not be running a Vista system. Until Windows 7, is my only option XP Pro 64 bit as otherwise I would only be able to use 3Gb of my RAM?
    Make sure your essential applications are compatible with the 64bit version of Windows XP. I personally would strongly recommend agains this version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hey Guys,

Download win7 now, it's the best 64bit OS available.

Thanks for the strong advice. I do have faith in Windows 7 but my concern is that it will expire (the RC is due to expire 1 July 2009) and I'll be left with either a bill or a dud system. I have had bad experience in the past with slow down as a result of patching.. if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I do plan to buy it at some stage, your planning to buy a new OS now so all your doing is delaying the payment until next year. There's no point in going with XP64, it's out of date now.

I'm making another assumption about the version I have now and hoping when I get the license I'm not going to have to re-install win7 to the official release and will just go on as normal. If I'm wrong about that then maybe your right to hold off.

I'm completely sold on Win7 and I hated Vista. As far as I'm concerned XP and Vista are dead and there's no point in going with either of them when you're looking for a 64bit OS.

Advertisement