Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43 people arrested for voting for rival country in Eurovision!

Options
  • 18-08-2009 6:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8205907.stm
    Forty-three people in Azerbaijan who voted for a song by neighbouring Armenia in the Eurovision Song Contest have been questioned by the police.

One man told the BBC he was accused of being unpatriotic and a "potential security threat", after he sent a text backing Armenia's song, Jan Jan.

The Azerbaijani authorities said people had merely been invited to explain why they voted for Armenia.

Perhaps they should arrest everyone who voted in the thing due to bad music taste? ;):D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

They deserve to be locked up, Azerbaijan's song was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Must be the only country who gives two flying ****s about that rigged competition. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I have seen it all now, an International incident involving the Eurovision song contest :p

Then again for years we hated the UK entry simply due to the fact it was the UK entry, they have just taken it a step further

• Registered Users Posts: 33,656 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have seen it all now, an International incident involving the Eurovision song contest :p

Then again for years we hated the UK entry simply due to the fact it was the UK entry, they have just taken it a step further

Funniest part of that was that they nearly always gave us 12 points

I know, it genuinly always was a case they gave us top or next to top marks and we usually gave them a 4-6 points score :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Yeah absolutely nothing to do with the high standards of music they produce year on year eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjLjzhOlGuo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Yeah absolutely nothing to do with the high standards of music they produce year on year eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjLjzhOlGuo

I'd give that 12 points. I spent the 4 minutes laughing. Now i'm getting very funny looks from the people in the office with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

You mean... the country votes are politically-based? Say it ain't so!

That said, this is both scary and hilariously stupid at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Must be the only country who gives two flying ****s about that rigged competition. :rolleyes:

when Ireland were winning it year in year out, it was the muts nuts, now you can't even qualify for the finals it is a rigged competition. :D

Sugar for those sour grapes sir?:)

Funniest part of that was that they nearly always gave us 12 points

Everyone knows that all foreigners vote for "home" in the Eurovision.
    Until recently the largest (European) ethenic minority in Britain was Irish, + all the NI viewers as well ;)

Look at how many votes Ireland used to give Poland in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

... but they weren't arrested :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How the **** is Azerbijan even considered in Europe:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

It isnt really though... yet. I think what is about to be uncovered is the fact that the competition is the first round of applications a state must make when applying for accession to the EU. Economic and social reforms FTL, plastic pop FTW!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm confused!
    There is 43 people in Azerbaijan that can afford a phone? :eek:

Dear god, don't tell Simon Cowell.
    He'll be in there like a flash with "Azerbaijan Got Talent" and start charging them to vote!

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm confused!
    There is 43 people in Azerbaijan that can afford a phone? :eek:

Must have clubbed together to buy one.

Though all the Poppy revenue probably helps too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Biggins wrote: »
    "Azerbaijan Got Talent" quote]

I thought that was the old Jewish money:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Must have clubbed together to buy one.

Though all the Poppy revenue probably helps too :D

Poor Poppy must be well worn out by now then.
    She deserves a rest! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Israel has been competing for years too.

How the jaysis is that considered to be Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

How did they find out who voted for what?

They texted the votes so I reckons the texts were monitored

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

but your not allowed vote for yourself....they have ta vote for someone else:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

when Ireland were winning it year in year out, it was the muts nuts, now you can't even qualify for the finals it is a rigged competition. :D

Sugar for those sour grapes sir?:)

Yes please, I take two teaspoons. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And Run To Da Hills hasn't been along to inform us that if the Lisbon Treaty is passed, we'll all be marched into deathcamps for voting the wrong way on Eurovision?

Poor form indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Des wrote: »

Well they dont get on too well with their Arab neighbours do they, so they look westwards towards Europe for social inclusion. There is a big population of European Jews living there too who fled Germany, France, Poland, etc during the war and after it in 1948 when the state of Israel was created.

Speaking of Azerbaijan, i really liked their Eurovision entry this year. That Aysel girl is a right hottie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Des wrote: »

I don't even think Russia should be allowed in, why does Russia get to join in all all the Euro stuff? Europe for Europeans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't even think Russia should be allowed in, why does Russia get to join in all all the Euro stuff? Europe for Europeans!!

+ 1. Europe ends at the gates of Vienna. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How dare they bring SHAME to this celebration of sheep! music!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

grenache wrote: »
    Well they dont get on too well with their Arab neighbours do they, so they look westwards towards Europe for social inclusion. There is a big population of European Jews living there too who fled Germany, France, Poland, etc during the war and after it in 1948 when the state of Israel was created.

For that reason Israel probably signed up to join the European Broadcasting Union, which makes them eligible to take part in the annual sh1t event.

ScumLord wrote: »

Na, Russia's great.

Shhh!!! They're listening and will shut off our gas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bragadin

MultiUmm wrote: »
    + 1. Europe ends at the gates of Vienna. ;)

Nah europe ends at the rhine, the rest are dough eyed hangers on with their faces pressed up against the shop window.

Advertisement