Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for oponions on this Rav4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Looks in very good nick. Just verify if it has been regularly serviced if possible and it should be a decent buy if you're looking for that kind of car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

looks very clean mileage seems a bit low. it is a 1.9 petrol which wouldnt be all that desirable at the moment with people opting for diesel

make sure to check there is no finance outstanding either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's a 1.8 2WD model. very good on fuel and low maintainance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

colm_mcm wrote: »

anorak...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

So you're going to spend €5000 on a '01 petrol jeep.

You deserve an award of some kind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Bazzy wrote: »

make sure to check there is no finance outstanding either.

1 owner since 2001 . hardly likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is there any way to tell just by looking at them whether they're 1.8 2WD or 2.0 4WD?

2WD models don't have wheel arch extensions
    861658053035.JPG

4WD petrol models have arch extensions (and matching wider wheels)
    372997_1.jpg

4WD diesel models have arch extensions and a bonnet scoop.
    Toyota-Rav-4_8661556.jpg

(Japanese spec models come in both narrow and wide bodies regardless of engine)

That's a pre-facelift UK spec GX model.

it is indeed a 4X4 with a narrow body. I should've stuck "generally" in there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

am i alone in this opinion ......... "its a rav4 ....... end of story"

sorry but i hate em with a passion

why do you hate them?

squod wrote: »
    So you're going to spend €5000 on a '01 petrol jeep.

You deserve an award of some kind.

I don't like quoting myself here but are we gonna let this lady spend €5,000
    on a '01 petrol jeep.

By this time tomorrow it'll be worth half that. Don't buy it.

That's a ridiculous statement, the Rav4 has phenomonal resale value, that's based on actually selling them for years, and not some ill informed prejudice based on the fact that it's an SUV.
    The fact that the Rav4 1.8 is 2WD means there are no extra 4X4 parts to need maintaining (Hardy Spicer units, Transfer boxes, Rear axles, Low ratio box etc) another plus is that you're not lugging all that around, which means you get fuel economy comparable to some 4X4 diesels (From what I remember there was only 3 or 4 mpg between the 2.0 D-4D 4WD and the 1.8 VVT-i 2WD models)
    Supply never quite meets demand with these.
    The image has always been right-on through a combination of Toyota's reliability, the fact that there are no commercial models, and appeal of low tax and running costs which combined mean there's always a following for these cars.

That's a pre-facelift UK spec GX model.
    UK, or UK/Ire? Pre-facelift? When was the facelift?

That's a ridiculous statement, the Rav4 has phenomonal resale value, that's based on actually selling them for years, and not some ill informed prejudice based on the fact that it's an SUV.
    The fact that the Rav4 1.8 is 2WD means there are no extra 4X4 parts to need maintaining (Hardy Spicer units, Transfer boxes, Rear axles, Low ratio box etc) another plus is that you're not lugging all that around, which means you get fuel economy comparable to some 4X4 diesels (From what I remember there was only 3 or 4 mpg between the 2.0 D-4D 4WD and the 1.8 VVT-i 2WD models)
    Supply never quite meets demand with these.
    The image has always been right-on through a combination of Toyota's reliability, the fact that there are no commercial models, and appeal of low tax and running costs which combined mean there's always a following for these cars.

I'm illinformed, so you've been selling them for years and you reckon I'm illinformed. Glad I'm not buying one from you so.

OP there's still '01 & '02 diesels going for around the same money, it's your choice ofcourse. If it we're my money I'd go diesel, for fuel economy and an easier resale.

you obviously are ill informed if you reckon a 1.8 Rav4 is hard to sell,

Also, if you're looking at a 2001 diesel, you have so much more scope for repair bills than on a petrol. They're very well built, but even something like a set of injectors, a turbo, or a flywheel on their own would make up about a quarter the price of this petrol one.

There's also the fact that the chepest diesel Rav4 on carzone is €6700 and has 100,000 miles. the next ones read 89,000/111,000/126,000/102,000. Anyone who paid the €6,500 extra for the diesel over the petrol new will have gotten the use out if it

To get a Rav4 diesel with the same mileage as the petrol model the OP is looking at, you need this one.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/2.0LD4D/200929194642755/advert?channel=CARS
    which is €9,500 and a short wheelbase.

But then you probably knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

why do you hate them?

dunno it just enrages me with its very being. dont think its got ANY redeaming feature. its probably a problem that needs medicating but i despise them

JHMEG wrote: »
    UK, or UK/Ire? Pre-facelift? When was the facelift?

facelift was very late in 2003. before the facelift they had square foglights and the indicators were on the bumpers, after the facelift they got round foglights and the indicators were in the headlamp unit. On the Irish models they got increased spec new colours (no more 2 tone) standard colour coded bumpers and nicer dash plastics.
    The one in your link looks to be UK from the badge on the wing. (from what I remember??) they had NV badges on the 1.8 and GX on the 2.0
    dunno it just enrages me with its very being. dont think its got ANY redeaming feature. its probably a problem that needs medicating but i despise them
    Fair enough, there are loads of cars i dislike too. for me they have lots of good points compared with a similarly sized family saloon

facelift was very late in 2003. before the facelift they had square foglights and the indicators were on the bumpers, after the facelift they got round foglights and the indicators were in the headlamp unit. On the Irish models they got increased spec new colours (no more 2 tone) standard colour coded bumpers and nicer dash plastics.

Hmmm. Someone I know has a 2001 model 2L with colour coded bumpers. Is that a UK model?

• Advertisement

I'm illinformed, so you've been selling them for years and you reckon I'm illinformed. Glad I'm not buying one from you so.
    I'd take colm's word for it... he is actually an expert on the subject...

Hmmm. Someone I know has a 2001 model 2L with colour coded bumpers. Is that a UK model?
    nope. depends on the trim level and the actual body colour.
    he is actually an expert on the subject...
    wouldn't claim that, but would know a fair bit about them.

you obviously are ill informed if you reckon a 1.8 Rav4 is hard to sell,

Also, if you're looking at a 2001 diesel, you have so much more scope for repair bills than on a petrol. They're very well built, but even something like a set of injectors, a turbo, or a flywheel on their own would make up about a quarter the price of this petrol one.

There's also the fact that the chepest diesel Rav4 on carzone is €6700 and has 100,000 miles. the next ones read 89,000/111,000/126,000/102,000. Anyone who paid the €6,500 extra for the diesel over the petrol new will have gotten the use out if it

To get a Rav4 diesel with the same mileage as the petrol model the OP is looking at, you need this one.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Rav4/2.0LD4D/200929194642755/advert?channel=CARS
    which is €9,500 and a short wheelbase.

Yeah, there's a load of people out there looking to buy petrol jeeps, I can see the queue from here!

:D

I'd try buy & sell if I was you, as well as carzone.

Squod - Everything I need to say about Rav4s has been said, I'm not going to waste time arguing with you over something you don't seem to understand.

Orange69 -if you have any questions on the Rav, feel free to PM me.

OP both sides of this story have been told.
    Make your mind up yourself, I'm sure there's plenty more reviews done
    on this car which are available online.

BTW I do understand.

nope. depends on the trim level and the actual body colour.
    I give up! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

OP here, thanks for a great responses, from both sides :pac: !

I wasn't too sure about her decision with the rav 4 in fairness, she says that she just likes the look of it and has always been talking about having some form of a jeep. And she does tend to be dragging crap about the place a lot of the time.

I do have some reservations about getting a car this old ( although I currently own a 99 prelude, that's a whole other story :p ) but the mileage is great and 5k isnt going to break the bank. I send her a link to this thread and Ill see what she thinks.

BTW, what kind of running costs does a rav 4 entail..? She works maybe 6 miles from home and might go on the odd road trip out to the coast (< 200 miles) every month or so..

Let me preface this by saying I'm no expert.

Can we round up the figures a little, to say 10,000 miles per year and not the seven or so you reckon you might do.

I reckon you'd burn about €1481 per year on petrol or €1010 per year on diesel. This is completely hypothetical of course and doesn't take into account any other costs of motoring and is based on todays fuel costs.

If your milage was higher you could see the benefits of diesel over petrol.
    But they aren't. It's a close one.

I reckon you'd burn about €1481 per year on petrol or €1010 per year on diesel.
    Currently diesel is 12c less than petrol. Expect the next budget to close that gap (diesel is taxed far less than petrol here, they're taxed equally in the UK).

Neither the diesel or the 1.8 petrol achieve super fuel economy anyway.

The diesel will cost slightly more to tax.

The 1.8 petrol is mechanically *far* simpler, meaning it will go wrong less often, and will cost buttons to fix in the unlikely event something should go wrong.

The petrol is way cheaper to buy.

Sorry, but the 1.8 petrol of this age is the no-brainer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement