Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auckland beers! (also, general info needed)

Options
  • 18-08-2009 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

Right, so I'm gonna be in Auckland 3rd-5th October... be going home 8pm on the 5th (monday).

few questions.

1. anyone up for beers on the saturday or sunday?
    2. im not gonna be able to get a bus from the airport at midnight saturday, am i?
    3. if ye're up for beers on the saturday, and there's no buses, how much will a taxi into town likely set me back? (if no buses or beers, ill sleep in the airport for the night :))
    4. anything (preferably cheap or free) i should spend my monday doing/seeing/checking out while im still in town?

thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Here is your bus time table
    http://www.airbus.co.nz/images/resources/site2/2820_001.pdf

A taxi is generally about $55-60 to the city. But you can often ask them for a set rate and they'll do it for $50 if you get a decent driver... Maybe cheaper if its late at night.

I should be able to do a mini beers, more chance of a sunday than a saturday because I work most fridays and saturday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

sweet. don't really have the $50 to spend on taxi as well as accommodation... so i can make the date now that i shall see you sunday... after the gig... or before as well, ill have all day sunday to kill.

where's queen's street in relation to everywehre else? whole reason im going is for a gig there, which is on the sunday.

In auckland everything revolves around Queen street. The viaduct is at one end, and K' road is at the other. If this the gig you mentioned to me before, the one on Mayoral drive I think you said. Then that is just past the middle near the town hall and aotera square not far from Sky City cinema and the comedy club.

I'm sure the other Auckland based people will raise their heads and see this thread and we'll get something going.

auckland town hall, 303 queens st.

sweet, so if everything goes around there, then i should be able to find somewhere to stay in the general area that night too :cool:

• Advertisement

The comedy club is on the left of it and the cinema is on the right. You're only a 5min walk from ACB/X-Base backpackers and that is one of the Airbus drop off points too.

From the town hall, you're a 5min walk to K'Road and 10min(ish) walk to the viaduct.

sweet man. looks like i wont even have to pack my board. trying to find the cheapest place at the mo, looks like it's gonna be about $25 wherever i go, so that's nae too bad.

edit: x base looks to be $20! sweet... please please let them take bookings in advance without bloody credit cards.

There is an xbase on fort street (viaduct end of town).
    Then there is ACB/x-base on queen street (biggest in the city, based in the middle of queen street), I've stayed there before but they required a CC before arrival.

ones on queen street allow bookings, but it costs an extra 7 over phone, so im gonna nick my boss's credit card tomorrow and do it on that.

nice one indeed :D thanks man. looking forward to meeting ya!

*checks sig*

only one month, two weeks and two days left.

EDIT: booked in. sweet. so except for transport to and from the airport, i may get away with not hving to leave queens st and consequently, not getting lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Jesus, Auckland beers is gonna be a riot :D

Could you guys tell me a bit about Auckland in relating to how it would differ from melbourne or sydney in regards to night life, the city, places to live, salaries etc etc as I am thinking of a change.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement

What kind of work are you looking for?

NZ pay is a bit behind OZ.

Auckalnd night life is good friday and saturday. The rest of the week is average. Sunday-tuesday is fairly pants. Only one or two good places to go to.

ooh, just found out one of my mates (the one whose house im living in at the mo) is going to NOFX too, so i may see him up there too... he's always good for a drink and a laugh, though will quite probossibly have his own peeps to see and drink with while there.

and i reckon auckland beers should turn out more exciting than christchurch beers... which consisted of me and jank and his non-boardsie girlfriend :P

beery goodness

you can have your beery goodness, i shall be in high spirits for the night :pac:

Me too.
    Spirit drinker. Had my first pint when I was back in Ireland. First in 15 months.

Prefer spirits now. Don't get as full and can drink more :)

but spend more :(

aye, went out to a pub last saturday for the first time in aaaaages and couldnt believe that it was about $8-9 for a whiskey/bourbon/shot. takes more than 5 drinks to get me where i want to be at on nights like that...

i assume that the city centre is an alcohol free zone as far as public areas go,yeah? i could really do with some pre-pub drinks if we're going for pub drinks. im actually down to my last *mumbles* two dollars at the moment and dont relish the thought of another expensive night out when i really can't afford it, but would like to get pished .

Thats expensive.

Normal $7-$8 for a house spirit here in the viaduct.

Nearly all of Auckland central is alcohol free 24/7. No street drinking allowed. Cops float around a lot on weekend nights.

reckoned so. there's a few designated zones around here, central city mostly, but most of the more residential areas are free to drink in (a revelation to me when i first got here).

hmm, ill have ot figure something out. just not right to do a boards beers sober .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Rabies wrote: »
    What kind of work are you looking for?

NZ pay is a bit behind OZ.

Auckalnd night life is good friday and saturday. The rest of the week is average. Sunday-tuesday is fairly pants. Only one or two good places to go to.

Cheers for that.

Im a quantity surveyor, you have given me some food for thought.

Thanks

Still hitting Aux Crumble?

• Advertisement

oh hell yeah. ill be around all day sunday/monday, except during the gig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As far as I know there is an erotica expo on this weekend in auckland..... if you are into that!:D;)

Must do another Christchurch beers night soon.

there's one in chrsitchurch too, too expensive though :( really wanted to see lucas zpira.

Went to it last yeat with my ex. Was fun. Some interesting things there and they do seminars on certain topics.

i was really just in it for the suspensions the likes. more importantly... does auckland have an aquarium? or a museum? how likely am i to see you on the sunday-day?

Sunday day I'm up and around from 2pm. Before that I'm asleep because I don't get home until 8am.

There is a museum in Auckland Domain, its huge. Some cools stuff there.
    As for an aquarium, but there is one. Never been to it. Its called Kelly Tarltons.

cool. im reckoning im not gonna get much sleep in the airport, so ill prob get the first bus out at 5-6am, get to the hostel and have a kip till mid day, so should be around from about 2ish. :cool:

Only a few days to go.

If there is anyone else in Auckland, they should come out and join us for a few drinks

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

33hrs till im heading up :D:D:D:D

*bounce*

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    As far as I know there is an erotica expo on this weekend in auckland..... if you are into that!:D;)

Must do another Christchurch beers night soon.

Went to it last sunday with the g/f. Wasn't as good as last year. Some interesting and fun things, but over all it was average.

Advertisement