Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle time from Artane to Baggot St?

• 18-08-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, I am planning to start cycling to work soon and was just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to cycle from Artane to Baggot Street?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

How long is a piece of string ? Seriously though, it all depends on how fit you are and if you're just going to saunter into the office or take part in a bit of commuter racing. Best thing to do it give yourself plenty of time the first day and see how it goes from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

Thanks but that doesnt really help me. I am pretty fit, I've walked from Artane to city centre before and that took me about 45 mins and i walk from the city centre to baggot st quite regularly so was just wondering how much less cycling is going to take for the full journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

If you are new to the cycling game, you will find it tough at first. And headwinds can be a reall killer.

But after a while, you will find yourself fitter and faster. And cycling home is fantastic for getting a days work off your back. Unlike driving.

Most of your route is fine. Around the park in Fairview can be windy and draining.

Coming down by Connolly and the IFSC, space is at a premium, but when I did this route, in fairness, I found most drivers accomadating.

So to answer your question. If your new to the game, it could take 45 min, but you should get it down to 30min after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i used to cycle from Artane to grand canal square before i moved.
    the route is fine on the way in, with the malahide road going downhill all the way to fairview and its pretty much an easy ride all the way into town. there's plenty of space on the roads going towards town.
    the way home is different.......as the last poster said space is a premium on amien street going under the railway bridge but soon spreads out, there is alot of commuter racing along this stretch (but they usually drop off on the uphill over the railway tracks at north strand!).
    then after fairview is the long climb back up the malahide road, if you dont get stuck at all the lights your fine as you get a nice speed up to carry you up the hill........its not easy on a single speed!!!
    the journey took me about 15-20 mins in the morning, but longer going home as coming around by the IFSC is all one way in the opposite directions, so i had a to cycle slowly around the footpaths to get around to amien street, so i'd say it was 30-35mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

Thanks guys, as is said i am pretty fit and used to do a lot of cycling when i was a kid so hopefully wont be too bad. I was reckoning on about 30mins myself, am from artane so know the route pretty well :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Based on the default input, the DTO's cycling/walking map at http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm says it it would take around 80mins walking or 30mins cycling. If you can do it faster walking you should be able to do it faster cycling -- your legs will just need to adjust to cycling.

I'm not too fit at all and it takes me about 30mins for around the same distance, from Parkgate Street to Santry.

The Samuel Beckett Bridge being installed in the Docklands should improve the directness of your route once it's open. Until it is, using the pedestrian bridge in the Docklands is an option if you want to avoid the heavy multi-lane traffic around the Custom House area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I used to cycle from Collins Avenue to Camden St before, it took 17-20 mins, ad about 5 min longer on the way back.

This was before the O'Connell st redevelopment, i dunno if there's more room to get along the street now, which would reduce the commute

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

I used to cycle from Artane to Waterloo Rd (Baggot St Upr), so on average it would be around 20 mins in and about 25 mins out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Google Maps have an option for directions to go by car, public transit or walking. Perhaps they should add in By Bicycle to give average cycling times for routes.

Advertisement