Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time by the Lake - by me

• 18-08-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

What do people think?

It's a demo of a work in progress, but I'm quite happy with it so far.

Also, I'm looking for someone that programmes drums to collaborate with on material such as this. PM for ore details.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drum are too heavy/fat/loud for my ears, otherwise I quite like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

mike65 wrote: »
    Drum are too heavy/fat/loud for my ears, otherwise I quite like it.

The dangers of mixing with headphones :)

Cheers.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Wow, love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The dangers of mixing with headphones :)

NEVER USE HEADPHONES! :pac: All my early stuff sounded mushy cos of that error!

mike65 wrote: »
    NEVER USE HEADPHONES! :pac: All my early stuff sounded mushy cos of that error!

It took place from midnight to 7am, so I had little choice but to. The neighbours hate me enough as it is.

I only sat down to work on it for an hour or two but got on a roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

nice one:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Were you going for a Boards of Canada feel by any chance? That's the vibe I'm getting, expecially from bits of the video :) I quite like it. I think the drums are fine, although I won't comment on production values as I'm listening on crappy laptop speakers. The only slight criticism I might make is that the strings are a little bit too repetitive/overbearing in places, but I just have a distaste for high-pitched strings in general so don't mind me :pac:. The vocals are great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Really liked it, great job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

hope this helps you with the mixing.

The secret benefits to mixing in mono
    http://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/blog/?p=123

Were you going for a Boards of Canada feel by any chance? That's the vibe I'm getting, expecially from bits of the video I quite like it. I think the drums are fine, although I won't comment on production values as I'm listening on crappy laptop speakers. The only slight criticism I might make is that the strings are a little bit too repetitive/overbearing in places, but I just have a distaste for high-pitched strings in general so don't mind me . The vocals are great though.

Thanks for the comments.

I agree with ye on the strings, I've lowered some of them in the mix now. I haven't done a proper mix, I was a bit excited after finishing it and the video and may have rushed things.

The vocals on the track are from an early demo of the song and we're about to record a newer version of the vocals and start mixing the tune proper.
    Really liked it, great job!

I'm glad you liked it. Cheers.
    hope this helps you with the mixing.

The secret benefits to mixing in mono

Looks interesting, thanks.

Incidentally, I loved 107.9 Xfm growing up, the only station I'd listen to regular and I thought the station it died out. Or else I stopped getting the reception.
    I'm very happy to see it alive and well and I'll have to tune in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

hola, a few days down the road getting to this ... hey it's got a nice relaxing vibe to it which is cool.

A previous poster had commented on the high pitched strings in places which I'd agree with. It can get to a point when using looped high pitched stuff that your ears start to cower in advance of the next stab. I know this from long experience with my own work.

I'd not get overly hung up over mixing on headphones. A decent audio interface and good quality studio headphones will give better results than cheap studio monitors. Then again, if the AI is not up to the task headphones or monitors will sufer. Either way it's always a good idea to listen to a new track on a variety of systems prior to closing off the mix. I always take mine out in the car, mp3 player, ghetto blaster, hi-fi and even my laptop speakers and make notes along the way before opening the mix session again.

Mixing with fresh ears is nearly always a good idea. In my case that means never writing and mixing during the same session and certainly never mixing on a Friday night (that's set aside for just easy listening to the week's work over a bottle of red).

Along with mixing in mono suggestion which is a sound idea I'd add that if you've got th etime and money then check out this brilliant book: http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com
    It certainly changed how I approached my mixes.

Anyway, best of luck with the music mate, you're on the right track and obviously have something cool to say with it.

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

really like this. keep it up

Thanks to all for the comments and advice. Much appreciATED. At the ,moment I have remixed it and Lucy who is singing on it (www.myspace.com/burmashade) has also done a new vocal take for it. I'm aiming to get the vocals recorded by another boards regular Dav Nagle, so will post the results (hopefully) soon.

Thanks

\m/

Advertisement