Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm fox last night on RTE

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Valmont wrote: »
    This thread isn't about nature; it's about foxes. If you would like to discuss nature, try here.

Considering you specifically quoted my post may I suggest you send me a PM to discuss any grievances you might have with my posting or perhaps you could report the post for the moderators.

That's the whole point: It is not about Foxes (included in Nature the last time I looked). This has drifted into a slagging match with personal remarks against each other. What I meant was: can we stick to the topic and leave the personalities out of it? No need for allegations of abuse or cries of "hypocrite". Stick to the topic. That's all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I'll bring the thread back to foxes. Got up early this morning and caught a big one in the back garden eating the food I'd put out for the birds. I knew they would eat a large variety of food, but peanuts and mixed seeds? I suspected we had a fox or 2 judging by the occasional smell but this is the first one I've seen. Think I'll start putting cheap Lidl dog food out for them, they'll keep the rats away from the birds ground food.

Has anyone any suggestions for feeding foxes in a way that cats can't get the food? I was thinking of hanging lumps of meat so that a fox can reach it on its hind legs but a cat can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

That's the whole point: It is not about Foxes (included in Nature the last time I looked). This has drifted into a slagging match with personal remarks against each other.

Only one person got in to that Monroe Greasy Stripe, every one else was discussing the foxes and how farming affects them and how they affect farming in a fairly adult fashion. I'm sure the mods will pull up anyone if they feel it's inappropriate.

Anyway, back to foxes, half cocked, some people disagree with feeding them whatsoever, but a lot of people leave scraps out over the winter, particularly in cities where they are not perceived as vermin or a threat. I don't know how you will stop the cats from robbing dog food, but marrow bones (or any bones) from the butchers might suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

If this thread goes down the route it appears to be taking it gets locked. I would remind some people to read the charter before they continue in certain veins.

Keep it civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As Lightening says, some people feel you shouldn't feed Foxes. Personally I think you should take every opportunity to watch Nautre close up. Foxes are creatures of habit so if you can get them feeding at Dusk (the best time to watch them) then you can simply leave the food 10 or so minutes before they arrive and the Cats won't get a chance to scoff it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I used to feed a three legged (well he missing one foot) fox little pieces of ham during the summer of 2008 because I felt sorry for him. I started to feel guilty for feeding him but a few days later I saw him run by my front door with a big, fat, juicy hare in his mouth. Even though he had three legs, he raised a whole litter of pups just up the road from where I lived. Somebody found him dead on a trail last winter.

n616176183_872568_1605.jpg

I called him tripod.

Advertisement