If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blu ray player

• 18-08-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

hi, i was wondering if there is any point in buying a blu ray player when i don't have a HD TV. We need to replace our dvd player as its on its last legs. Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Hi,
    Unless you plan on buying a HDTV , it would be a total waste.
    As dvd players are so cheap nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Lumo22

First question I should ask is your TV a LCD/Plasma TV or CRT (tube) TV?

Even if your LCD/Plasma TV is only HD ready but not FULL HD you'll still see a dramatic improvement over regular DVD if you use a BR player even if you only have COMPONENT ins and no HDMI inputs on your TV

A little maths (sorry)
    Most HD ready LCD TV's have a res of 1366x768 (though there are other res's as well) that works out at over 1 million pixels onscreen,
    BR discs tend to be 1080x1920 res (a little over 2 million pixels)
    DVD's on the otherhand tend to have a native res of 720x576, so a lowly 414720 pixels make up the image. So you can see that even standard HD ready sets are capable of displaying more detail than DVD's can support.

If you have a CRT (Tube) TV then, well I'll do you a great price on a new LCD TV!

hope thats of some help
    Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

Thanks guys for your help. Looks like a dvd player for me so.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Lumo,

thanks for the posts and Ash thanks for the science lesson :confused:

Lumo - we can do the excellent Philips DVP3360 at just €69.99 delivered anywhere in Ireland if you need a decent DVD player.

It has a pretty high feature count and it's well built with video upscaling (get Professor Ash to explain that one) and it's DIVX Ultra and has a USB socket to play Music/Video content - anyway have a look at the spec on the link above and give us a shout if we can assist in any way,

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

SOLD!, how can i contact you?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

lumo22 wrote: »
    SOLD!, how can i contact you?

Thanks for that Lumo - just send either Ash or myself a PM with your phone contact details and we will get you sorted,

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.