Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Block shifting. Is it okay?

• 18-08-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi,

I was reading another thread and a question came into my mind but I didn't want to hijack their thread.

Basically I wanted to know if it is fine to block shift all the time or do you have to go through the gears sequentially when it is safe to do so?

I've only started driving and have just 7 or 8 hours at the wheel. So, when I'm driving along and I see a sign for a roundabout on a major road I find it difficult sometimes to get down through all the gears from fifth gear down to second in time before entering the roundabout. It seems so much easier to slow down in 4th and once my speed is slow enough change into 2nd and enter the roundabout.

Is this acceptable in a driving test?

I understand that if you need to stop suddenly or rapidly for some reason then it's okay but in everyday driving is it okay? (It seems everyone does it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Thanks donegalfella, thats grand, I kind of got the impression from my driving instructor that this was the way I was to drive but I think he was just making me do this so that I would always slow down early enough and in a controlled manner.

This makes thinks so much easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yup it is perfectly fine to do so.

Didn't know and don't think it should be the approved method, but that's a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Vegeta wrote: »
    Yup it is perfectly fine to do so.

Didn't know and don't think it should be the approved method, but that's a different story

You needed to shift down gear by gear in older cars where the brakes aren't as good and you needed engine breaking to help slow down. Totally unneccesary in any reasonably recent car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You needed to shift down gear by gear in older cars where the brakes aren't as good and you needed engine breaking to help slow down. Totally unneccesary in any reasonably recent car.

Doesn't engine breaking wreck your car's transmission and clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Doesn't engine breaking wreck your car's transmission and clutch?

I wouldn't say "wreck" but it's not good for it! I guess it was a good compromise 30 years ago when brakes were rubbish, and every little helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I wouldn't say "wreck" but it's not good for it! I guess it was a good compromise 30 years ago when brakes were rubbish, and every little helped!
    Its like when racing drivers do the "heel and toe" thing to match the revs to the gear for the speed every time they downshift so that its the brakes slowing the car down rather than the transmission.

But guess thats not that significant on the road where the gearshifts aren't as aggressive as in racing.
    You use the engine to slow bikes down all the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I use it all the time on my VW Polo, and it's fine.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Twas gonna ask this myself.
    I got used to doing the 4th to 2nd after my driving instructor said that its best to do that now and that you can then spend a little more time and effort looking at the roundabout instead of changing down more then you really need to. Anywhere else though I go 5, 4, 3 ,2, 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what about up though?

I find myslef going from 3rd to 5th quite often these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

what about up though?

I can only go by what my instructor said, but the fact that he didnt recommend going up like that means it shouldnt really be done "technically". So in a test situation. Id imagine if your engine can take it with out lugging it then it should be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

what about up though?

Block changing from 3rd to 5th is typically only used where you have dropped a gear before an overtaking maneover and then accelerate reasonably quickly at which point it may make sense to come from 3rd to 5th. This is acceptable driving practice (assuming the speed was correct for 3rd gear initially and the overtake was legal :)).

However, in the case of the driving test it is highly unlikely that you would perform that type of overtaking. In fact, during the driving test you will be unlikely to use 5th gear at all unless you have a section of 100 km/hr dual-carriageway. Therefore I would not recommend anyone learning to drive to use block changing going up the gears - you should use them sequentially with smooth acceleration between each gear change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Block changing from 3rd to 5th is typically only used where you have dropped a gear before an overtaking maneover and then accelerate reasonably quickly at which point it may make sense to come from 3rd to 5th. This is acceptable driving practice (assuming the speed was correct for 3rd gear initially and the overtake was legal :)).

However, in the case of the driving test it is highly unlikely that you would perform that type of overtaking. In fact, during the driving test you will be unlikely to use 5th gear at all unless you have a section of 100 km/hr dual-carriageway. Therefore I would not recommend anyone learning to drive to use block changing going up the gears - you should use them sequentially with smooth acceleration between each gear change.

I've had my licence for 2 year so do think the test issue will come up:D Just saw the topic and thought I'd jump in.

I'm in 5th by 55/60 usually and often slower these day, 100 is way way to fast to be only in fifth then. (it a 1.5 almera btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

as my instructor told me
    " Choose the gear to suit the situation"

Advertisement