Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy with Luxating Patella - advise re breeder

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

My beautiful eight month old King Charles Puppy has luxating patella.. He is carrying his left leg and we have decided it is time to have him operated on.

Really I just want to know is there any comeback with the breeder - i contacted her and she is adamant that this is the first time any of her pups have had this problem and she mentioned it could have been caused by an injury (Which it wasn't), I was told by my vet that it was an hereditary condition. It is very likely that after i get this leg done his other one will have to be done and sometimes i think his "good" back leg gives way because he flops down.

Is there anyway i could find out if any of the breeder's other puppies suffered from this condition? Should I contact the kennel club and let them know or is it just a waste of time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would contact the IKC and see what they say.
    I'm not sure exactly myself, but I would assume if there's any known defects they're not allowed to breed from the mother/father.

That's awful about your pup though, hopefully the operation goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Pubpub, would you mind posting the location (just county) of the breeder so that if there are any people on here experiencing similar problems with their pups, you can get in contact via PM?

I have a 9.5 month old Cav who I got from a breeder in Wicklow. Thankfully, no health issues yet but I'm always interested in keeping an eye out for any potential problems with her littermates.

Hope your little pooch will be ok. Do you have insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

star-pants wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly myself, but I would assume if there's any known defects they're not allowed to breed from the mother/father.

I don't think kennel clubs are very strict on health, that documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed showed a champion Cavalier dog who was bred from 32 times despite having syringomyelia. The Irish KC may be different but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

You should definitley inform the Kennel Club of this breeder, however she may not be registered with them (did you buy yuor pup registered/non registered?).
    Did you get a health/vet cert from the breeder when you bought the pup.

Advertisement